Selfishness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2015, 01:08 PM
RE: Selfishness
(11-03-2015 07:57 AM)pablo Wrote:  I think you know I'm not trying to justify absurd scenarios like you described.

It was either that, or your pedantry was irrelevant, since this is a discussion about selfishness. Now I know which is right.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2015, 04:00 PM
I remember seeing someone say that a selfless act is one do in a split second like pushing someone out of the way of a speeding car and risking your life. Technically though, that could still be selfish because even though you may have acted on instinct does your instinct tell you that you are doing a good thing if you do that?
11-03-2015, 04:18 PM
(11-03-2015 01:08 PM)One Above All Wrote:  
(11-03-2015 07:57 AM)pablo Wrote:  I think you know I'm not trying to justify absurd scenarios like you described.

It was either that, or your pedantry was irrelevant, since this is a discussion about selfishness. Now I know which is right.

You completely changed what Onlinebiker originally posted.
THAT is what we're talking about here.
Strawman.
11-03-2015, 04:20 PM
(11-03-2015 04:00 PM)NumberDigit Wrote:  I remember seeing someone say that a selfless act is one do in a split second like pushing someone out of the way of a speeding car and risking your life. Technically though, that could still be selfish because even though you may have acted on instinct does your instinct tell you that you are doing a good thing if you do that?

Perspective still matters. I am quite sure German soldiers jumped in front of their buddies to take a bullet for them or jumped on a grenade, that act wasn't much help to the Jews being gassed in the death camps.

It still does not take into account POV. If an ISIS fighter saves his buddy only to turn around and behead someone, who are they benefiting?

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-03-2015, 11:01 AM
It calls into question the 'self'. There are those who would say that the self is an illusion.
20-04-2015, 09:36 AM
(09-03-2015 10:06 AM)NumberDigit Wrote:  Should an act really be considered selfish if it benefits other people as well as yourself?

Why not? And I think that every act could be considered selfish. Raerly one does something that not benefit him in any way.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
20-04-2015, 09:38 PM
(09-03-2015 10:06 AM)NumberDigit Wrote:  Should an act really be considered selfish if it benefits other people as well as yourself?

Objectivism defines selfish as concern with one's own interests. Objectivism would hold an act to be selfish if it ultimately redounds to the actors interests. A sacrifice would be exchanging a greater value for a lesser value or no value at all.

Selfishness has gotten a bad rep from the purveyors of selflessness and altruism. I think that the desire to be selfless is the desire not to be at all. What is the self but the mind. A selfless person could have no interests at all including the desire to be moral. He would, oh lets see, sacrifice his son as a burnt offering if he was told to or attack a village and kill all the men women and children.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick