Sell your area.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-07-2015, 09:10 AM
Sell your area.
My home state is New Jersey but I've lived in California for the last 10 years (shit, i just realized how long I've been here. ) And I always telling people what I miss about my home state.

Mostly the food. Comparatively California's food sucks. My wife never understood what I was talking about until we took a vacation to visit family and she tasted a real New York Pizza for the first time. I took a picture of of her first bight and her eyes almost popped out of her head in amazement. It's one of my favorite pictures of her because her doubt was thrown out in one bight.

Now that's not to say California doesn't have it's benefits. My current city is Temecula CA I'm lucky because i'm a wine lover and Temecula is Southern California wine area. Lot's of really good Desert and fruity wines. If anyone ever makes it out her just a little free tip. You can get free drinks if you go on-line to the Temecula Valley Wine web sight. There are coupons that never expire and many of the best winery's with have amazing offers like buy one tasting get one free. that's 5 - 6 free drinks.

Anyway. I wanted to start this thread because my wife and I love to travel,(When we can afford it) as I'm sure many other people on this form may.

So sell us your area. Your country, city , state, or whatever.

If we traveled to that location what are the areas, food, sight we should try that most Tourist don't know about but should. Or what is your favorite thing about your area?

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
11-07-2015, 09:30 AM
RE: Sell your area.
I didn't know you were in CA, Sensei. I'm in Northern CA...for now. My plans are to move back home to Boston. I like CA--Napa and Tahoe are my favorite places to visit and I'm not very far from either of them.

Napa: great wineries/scenery/restaurants:

Tahoe: gorgeous views, peaceful, good eats, tons of outdoor activities. And we also have Tahoe Tessie (a version of the Loch Ness monster) who supposedly swims in the lake...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tahoe_Tessie
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
11-07-2015, 09:32 AM
I have no idea why people would want to visit Denmark on holiday. It's not really that impressive. flat land, lots of coast. Some argue that the royals is an attraction that's well worth their pay though I'm not so sure myself..
11-07-2015, 09:35 AM
I wouldn't be much of a travel agent but I do really like where we live. We have been in a small town that has become, through growth, a suburb of Dallas. We are on the outer NE edge so we aren't surrounded by city.

The Dallas/Fort Worth area is a mix of wild west and big city. We are within easy driving distance of some of the best medical care, museums, restaurants of all kinds, and the diversity of people is vast. There are live music venues, plays, rodeos, and big name sports and concerts. There are tons of parks and several lakes (that have water in them again).

The town we live in is an old railroad town (I still miss the sound of the train whistles - they were stopped a few years ago cause the city folk moving this way didn't like them). Downtown is still an old-fashioned downtown. The building facades are still like they were a hundred years ago but the stores hold a variety of options from very popular bistros to western style furniture to an old music store. It's a cool little area to just walk around and browse.

Just behind the subdivision where I live you enter the country. You can drive along and see longhorns, zebras, camels, and all manner of expected livestock. My yard is filled with a variety of birds and squirrels and the occasional brave rabbit. Yes, you now and then see coyotes and armadillos ambling around, even downtown.

About two miles away is South Fork ranch...yes, the one where they filmed the TV series 'Dallas'. Just a few more miles and you can watch the hot air balloon festival in the fall. Out here in the 'burbs there are festivals of all manner and 'First Monday' is a term everyone is familiar with. The weekend before the first Monday of every month finds big flea market sales in several communities. They are throwbacks to the days when the farmers brought their goods to town to sell on the first Monday of the month...those occasions soon became weekend events. Many roads around here are named FM for Farm to Market.

The area where we live has grown tremendously since we arrived in 2006. Now, I don't have to drive to one of the cities to shop. Pretty much everything we need is within 4 miles of our house.

Oh, and In-Sync Exotic big cat rescue is just outside of town near Lake Lavon.

There's just about something to interest everyone within an easy drive. I love it here, it was instantly home to me.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
11-07-2015, 09:39 AM
I don't want anybody to visit Colorado Springs. We have way too many tourists already and you cannot turn onto any major street without getting stuck behind three motor homes and five towed campers.
11-07-2015, 09:50 AM
(11-07-2015 09:30 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I didn't know you were in CA, Sensei. I'm in Northern CA...for now. My plans are to move back home to Boston. I like CA--Napa and Tahoe are my favorite places to visit and I'm not very far from either of them.

Tahoe: gorgeous views, peaceful, good eats, tons of outdoor activities. And we also have Tahoe Tessie (a version of the Loch Ness monster) who supposedly swims in the lake...

Tahoe is beautiful. I was born in Sacramento but we lived in Tahoe in a very rustic cabin out in the woods near the Upper Truckee River. Tahoe didn't have a hospital at the time, yes this was quite a while ago, so my family had to drive all the way to Sacramento for my birth. I was almost born in the car because we ran out of gas on the way there and my father and brothers had to push the car over the Donner Summit and then put the car in neutral and coast all the way to Placerville to find a gas station.

I digress. Tahoe is an amazing place but it was nicer 30 -40 years ago when there wasn't so much development.

I live in Portland OR now and it's fantastic. The people are wacky but nice. The food is world class, there's great public transportation, lots of artsy things to do and places to hike. It's a combination of nature and city that works wonderfully.

With global warming the weather is becoming more tolerable here but I'm not so sure that's a good thing for humanity.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
11-07-2015, 09:59 AM
(11-07-2015 09:50 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(11-07-2015 09:30 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I didn't know you were in CA, Sensei. I'm in Northern CA...for now. My plans are to move back home to Boston. I like CA--Napa and Tahoe are my favorite places to visit and I'm not very far from either of them.

Tahoe is beautiful. I was born in Sacramento but we lived in Tahoe in a very rustic cabin out in the woods near the Upper Truckee River. Tahoe didn't have a hospital at the time, yes this was quite a while ago, so my family had to drive all the way to Sacramento for my birth. I was almost born in the car because we ran out of gas on the way there and my father and brothers had to push the car over the Donner Summit and then put the car in neutral and coast all the way to Placerville to find a gas station.

I digress. Tahoe is an amazing place but it was nicer 30 -40 years ago when there wasn't so much development.

I live in Portland OR now and it's fantastic. The people are wacky but nice. The food is world class, there's great public transportation, lots of artsy things to do and places to hike. It's a combination of nature and city that works wonderfully.

With global warming the weather is becoming more tolerable here but I'm not so sure that's a good thing for humanity.

I am a city girl, but living in a rustic cabin in Tahoe would be my dream home. Portland sounds like my kind of place!
11-07-2015, 10:43 AM
Scenery. That's all I got. But... it really is quite lovely. There is a particularly expansive vista on the Turnpike that is nothing short of breathtaking.

It's at the top of what happens to be a place where cattle are picked up & dropped off to range - "The Bazaar Cattle Pens". The cows are way out in the distance so, unless someone is loading or unloading, they aren't a concern.

It's an astounding view on any day - clear or foggy.  With a 360 degree view, soft, undulating hills roll out for miles in all directions, with the nearest towns (20 miles) blocked by hills. Fog will often nestle in ravines or oddly hover fifteen feet above everything, leaving the entire expanse chrystal clear beneath a white, floating blanket of foam.

A sunrise or sunset overwhelms the landscape with evolving color and atmospheric forms. On any clear day, one might swear to having seen the curvature of the earth... possible or not, the view is as surreal as it is humbling.

With light polution at an extreme low, on most clear nights the Milky Way can be photographed with timed exposures. Meteors are an every night thing and fireballs are quite common. It would certainly be the place to hunt for meteorites. On a moonless night, a star drenched blanket meets the ground so close to one's feet, that a long look at the sky can be dizzying.

The cattle pens is at mile marker 111 on the Kansas turnpike, exactly between Wichita and Kansas City. (About 20 miles southwest of where I live.)

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
11-07-2015, 10:59 AM
[Image: 56b38a2fd41358fa59054e4366ef4a5c.jpg]

[Image: 546a8d3854b03ef6fdcc142b92d8cdca.jpg]

[Image: b5ff2d69ec33cef84470be1ca35c0ef5.jpg]

[Image: 2befb0aac89a474196ed9750c489efae.jpg]

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 11 users Like Stark Raving's post
11-07-2015, 11:01 AM
(11-07-2015 10:59 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  [Image: 56b38a2fd41358fa59054e4366ef4a5c.jpg]

[Image: 546a8d3854b03ef6fdcc142b92d8cdca.jpg]

[Image: b5ff2d69ec33cef84470be1ca35c0ef5.jpg]

[Image: 2befb0aac89a474196ed9750c489efae.jpg]

Where is that Stark? It's sooo purdy.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post