Selling Out?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2013, 12:43 PM
Selling Out?
The Difference between trying a new sound and selling out? Nobody thinks the Beatles sold out. But Linkin Park or The Black Eyed Peas?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2013, 12:59 PM
RE: Selling Out?
How are you defining "selling out"?

I define it as creating a product (or handing the process of creation over to others) that would result in the greatest profit maximization for that person, rather than creating a product that appeals to the producer and (already established?) consumers.
Find all posts by this user
23-08-2013, 01:06 PM

They sold out, but the album itself wasn't too shit, what came after is a different story.

[Image: 9f6.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
23-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Lykin Park never had the opportunity to sell out. They where a 'made band' from day one.

The Beatles evolved... Their music got LESS main stream, LESS accessible, MORE psychedelic, MORE Eastern.

[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
23-08-2013, 01:15 PM
As I said when already established musician(s) try for a new look/sound weather it's to branch into another genre or to reach a wider audience why are some called "sell outs" while others are applauded.
23-08-2013, 01:17 PM
(23-08-2013 01:06 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  

They sold out, but the album itself wasn't too shit, what came after is a different story.

I hate you. This album is what turned me on to metal. I totally agree, of course. But can we just agree that this is the "best sounding" (productionwise) album they put out?

It was heavy as fuck.....

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
23-08-2013, 01:30 PM
(23-08-2013 01:17 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(23-08-2013 01:06 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  

I hate you. This album is what turned me on to metal. I totally agree, of course. But can we just agree that this is the "best sounding" (productionwise) album they put out?

It was heavy as fuck.....

Well, maybe, but I think Puppets, just like Peace Sells and Regin In Blood had superior mixes to almost anything that happened later, 1986 was a year of power. I don't hate the Black Album. I hate Load either, but both albums were filled with forgettable songs. If I were at a Metallica gig, I would pick Dyers Eve over Enter Sandman any day, and I do have a grudge against Nothing Else Matters, that song is horribly overrated.

And dude, this what I call heavy as fuck:

23-08-2013, 01:43 PM
(23-08-2013 01:15 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  As I said when already established musician(s) try for a new look/sound weather it's to branch into another genre or to reach a wider audience why are some called "sell outs" while others are applauded.

It's not about the 'newness' it's about the direction...more mainstream, less experimental, more produced = sellout

23-08-2013, 01:43 PM
(23-08-2013 01:30 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  I (don't) hate Load either, but both albums were filled with forgettable songs.

Load was a load of shit, the black album brought metal into the lap of america, and I can still sing along with every guitar solo, as forgettable as it is. Tongue

(23-08-2013 01:30 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Puppets, just like Peace Sells and Regin In Blood had superior mixes to almost anything that happened later

That's debatable, but I would agree that they are better albums musically.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
23-08-2013, 01:53 PM
(23-08-2013 01:43 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(23-08-2013 01:30 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  I (don't) hate Load either, but both albums were filled with forgettable songs.

Load was a load of shit, the black album brought metal into the lap of america, and I can still sing along with every guitar solo, as forgettable as it is. Tongue

(23-08-2013 01:30 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Puppets, just like Peace Sells and Regin In Blood had superior mixes to almost anything that happened later

That's debatable, but I would agree that they are better albums musically.

And you now win an award for being capable of getting in and out of an argument on this website without creating a feud.

I think the reason why I don't listen to the black album that much is because I don't feel the same urge to listen to it anymore. I liked it as a kid, but I just don't get the same feeling anymore.

[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post