Selling Out?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2013, 02:24 PM
RE: Selling Out?
(23-08-2013 01:53 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(23-08-2013 01:43 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Load was a load of shit, the black album brought metal into the lap of america, and I can still sing along with every guitar solo, as forgettable as it is. Tongue

That's debatable, but I would agree that they are better albums musically.

And you now win an award for being capable of getting in and out of an argument on this website without creating a feud.

I think the reason why I don't listen to the black album that much is because I don't feel the same urge to listen to it anymore. I liked it as a kid, but I just don't get the same feeling anymore.

I've had "the black album argument" before. Tongue

Well I agree. I don't listen to it either, but my balls do swell a bit if a song comes on the radio.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2013, 02:37 PM
(23-08-2013 02:24 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Well I agree. I don't listen to it either, but my balls do swell a bit if a song comes on the radio.

I know that feeling, it's just that I'd rather hear them play Sanitarium than generic choice nr. 1 which is Nothing Else Matters. I'm just sick and tired of fools who show up at Metallica gig, and when you ask them why they are there, they say they are there to hear Nothing Else Matters, Enter Sandman, Sad But True and Master of Puppets, because that's the only four songs they fucking know. No headbanging on the front row or moshpits in the middle. And that's why I haven't been to a Metallica gig; I would be directly ashamed to stand next to these posers who block the view with their damn Iphones.

Tell them how it is, Brian!

They came, they saw and acknowledged
Some good, some bad
Opinion: Dangerous
23-08-2013, 02:50 PM
(23-08-2013 02:37 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(23-08-2013 02:24 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Well I agree. I don't listen to it either, but my balls do swell a bit if a song comes on the radio.

I know that feeling, it's just that I'd rather hear them play Sanitarium than generic choice nr. 1 which is Nothing Else Matters. I'm just sick and tired of fools who show up at Metallica gig, and when you ask them why they are there, they say they are there to hear Nothing Else Matters, Enter Sandman, Sad But True and Master of Puppets, because that's the only four songs they fucking know. No headbanging on the front row or moshpits in the middle. And that's why I haven't been to a Metallica gig; I would be directly ashamed to stand next to these posers who block the view with their damn Iphones.

Right on. Went to a Metallica show a few years ago just to say I did. Godsmack opened, and I'm sorry but even new shitty Metallica beats the fuck out of Godsmack's sorry ass.

Anyway, they played about 75% pre black album songs. It was worth it. They know what people want, and it isn't their new shit. Weird that they wouldn't just write better music....

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
23-08-2013, 02:59 PM
(23-08-2013 02:50 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(23-08-2013 02:37 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  I know that feeling, it's just that I'd rather hear them play Sanitarium than generic choice nr. 1 which is Nothing Else Matters. I'm just sick and tired of fools who show up at Metallica gig, and when you ask them why they are there, they say they are there to hear Nothing Else Matters, Enter Sandman, Sad But True and Master of Puppets, because that's the only four songs they fucking know. No headbanging on the front row or moshpits in the middle. And that's why I haven't been to a Metallica gig; I would be directly ashamed to stand next to these posers who block the view with their damn Iphones.

Right on. Went to a Metallica show a few years ago just to say I did. Godsmack opened, and I'm sorry but even new shitty Metallica beats the fuck out of Godsmack's sorry ass.

Anyway, they played about 75% pre black album songs. It was worth it. They know what people want, and it isn't their new shit. Weird that they wouldn't just write better music....

Well, Death Magnetic was pretty much the best we could hope for if you ask me, but I just got bored with it really quick. I liked Cyanide and All Nightmare Long, but the rest was a bit, meh, not the kind that hits my ears really good or makes my head move. And Lulu isn't even worth talking about...

Some good, some bad
23-08-2013, 03:03 PM
(23-08-2013 02:59 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(23-08-2013 02:50 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Right on. Went to a Metallica show a few years ago just to say I did. Godsmack opened, and I'm sorry but even new shitty Metallica beats the fuck out of Godsmack's sorry ass.

Well, Death Magnetic was pretty much the best we could hope for if you ask me, but I just got bored with it really quick. I liked Cyanide and All Nightmare Long, but the rest was a bit, meh, not the kind that hits my ears really good or makes my head move. And Lulu isn't even worth talking about...

To tell you the truth, I just quit listening. My opinion on new Metallica is as meaningful as my views on fine wines.

[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
23-08-2013, 03:05 PM
(23-08-2013 03:03 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(23-08-2013 02:59 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Well, Death Magnetic was pretty much the best we could hope for if you ask me, but I just got bored with it really quick. I liked Cyanide and All Nightmare Long, but the rest was a bit, meh, not the kind that hits my ears really good or makes my head move. And Lulu isn't even worth talking about...

To tell you the truth, I just quit listening. My opinion on new Metallica is as meaningful as my views on fine wines.

Well, I just found other bands to listen to, who has only gotten better with years

Some good, some bad
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
23-08-2013, 07:38 PM
I consider "selling out" to be when a band's main motivation in putting out an album is money. Pretty much everyone sells out, because while the first stuff is artistically driven, once you have popularity your record company expects you to output a product, and it becomes more "I need ideas!" than "I have an idea!" The key to not sucking is keeping emotion and artistic spirit in the creative process and not letting money and outside expectations get in the way. Some bands get better with time, like Gojira. Others, like Metallica, should have quit long ago Tongue

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
23-08-2013, 07:46 PM
I've heard the term "sell out" having different definitions among musicians.

Lana Del Rey sold out by getting her lips injected because they told her she looked "too normal" for a record deal.

[Image: Lana-Del-Rey1-1403.png]

[Image: pBvowKv.gif]
23-08-2013, 08:57 PM
[img][Image: metallica-shopping_zpsba0f3f8c.jpg][/img]

23-08-2013, 09:40 PM
When a band or musician sells out, it generally means they've traded quality for a form of commercial success. Bob Dylan in the 1960s was accused of selling out when he made the jump from folk music to using an electric guitar. Now it should be noted he widened his audience by doing this in a direction he wanted to go. David Bowie was accused of selling out when he began the Ziggy Stardust and again when he ended it. Then again when he did Let's Dance. But with some Bowie included, he didn't care....he does what he likes at the time.

Other bands, like in the late 70s struggled along with good music but lacked that mainstream AOR sound -- not to widen their audience to make more money. Journey, REO Speedwagon come to mind. This was done to save their record contracts. Some say in the early 90s Areosmith did this. Whitesnake certainly did in the 1980s when Jon Lord left the band because he felt they had indeed sold out to make crap. They burned hot for two albums and fizzled. Had they not -- they would have maintained their smaller but loyal followin -- but would never had that commercial mainstream success.

Then there were still other bands who began one way (Like Jefferson Airplane) who as their music evolved or changed into newer directions, changed their name.

The Beatles could never be considered sell outs because they defined music for decades to come.

They didn't go from doing Lucy in the Sky, to I Wanna Hold Your Hand or She Loves You. They continued to move forward.

Pink Floyd never really sold out either -- regardless of how successful Dark Side of the Moon was.

[Image: mrhanky.jpg]

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post