Senate OKs creationism in public schools

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-01-2012, 02:13 PM
RE: Senate OKs creationism in public schools
I don't believe the United States will ever become a theocracy but with the power the religiously blind hold. They still have a large say.

They are the only ones in this country who can openly hate a group without losing power. The group is also one where I see people not voting on issues but rather on what religion that person is. They also can openly and bluntly state that they want this country for themselves and not for you.

Its these things I highly dislike about the theists in our country. People who hate, who want to control and who have power for the wrong reasons. It sounds more of a dictatorship than some holy order.

This will be a battle that will continue to be fought until we can dethrone all the idiots. I don't see that in our lifetime.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-01-2012, 02:28 PM
(28-01-2012 02:13 PM)ShirubaDangan Wrote:  I don't believe the United States will ever become a theocracy but with the power the religiously blind hold. They still have a large say.

They are the only ones in this country who can openly hate a group without losing power. The group is also one where I see people not voting on issues but rather on what religion that person is. They also can openly and bluntly state that they want this country for themselves and not for you.

Its these things I highly dislike about the theists in our country. People who hate, who want to control and who have power for the wrong reasons. It sounds more of a dictatorship than some holy order.

This will be a battle that will continue to be fought until we can dethrone all the idiots. I don't see that in our lifetime.

I am not so sanguine as you about a theocracy. I see a real danger. Just look at how open most of the Republican candidates have been about ignoring the Constitutional separation, not just of church and state, but Gingrich's statement about having Federal Marshals arresting 'activist' judges.

No, a few more like-minded members of Congress and a President who packs the Supreme Court with religio-fascists, and it could come about.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-01-2012, 11:14 AM
(27-01-2012 11:11 AM)germanyt Wrote:  It'll never happen. No only is it unconstitutional but there are enough judges with the common sense to keep this out of classrooms.

Only if it finds its way to the court system. Laws don't end up there by default, but only after lawsuits. The Dover trial is all the precedent needed to overrule this law.

BTW, it isn't unconstitutional. The US Constitution does not state that public schools are only allowed to teach facts. And this would be okay with even us atheists if creationism were based on science. It could be even be true (!) but all of the current evidence contradicts this, and it's based on current scientific knowledge that creationism is ruled unscientific.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
30-01-2012, 11:50 AM
(30-01-2012 11:14 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(27-01-2012 11:11 AM)germanyt Wrote:  It'll never happen. No only is it unconstitutional but there are enough judges with the common sense to keep this out of classrooms.

Only if it finds its way to the court system. Laws don't end up there by default, but only after lawsuits. The Dover trial is all the precedent needed to overrule this law.

BTW, it isn't unconstitutional. The US Constitution does not state that public schools are only allowed to teach facts. And this would be okay with even us atheists if creationism were based on science. It could be even be true (!) but all of the current evidence contradicts this, and it's based on current scientific knowledge that creationism is ruled unscientific.

Creationism in a public school would be teaching the bible in public school. It is unconstitutional. The only textbook for creation is the Christian Bible.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
30-01-2012, 05:25 PM
From today...

Quote:The change proposed by Democratic Sen. Vi Simpson of Bloomington says that any course offered by public schools teaching creationism must include origin theories from multiple religions, among them Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism and Scientology.

http://www.wthr.com/story/16634951/india...m-proposal
30-01-2012, 07:18 PM
(30-01-2012 05:25 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  From today...

Quote:The change proposed by Democratic Sen. Vi Simpson of Bloomington says that any course offered by public schools teaching creationism must include origin theories from multiple religions, among them Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism and Scientology.

http://www.wthr.com/story/16634951/india...m-proposal

Still isn't science. This is a a blatantly dishonest proposal.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
30-01-2012, 09:15 PM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2012 09:17 PM by ShirubaDangan.)
(28-01-2012 02:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-01-2012 02:13 PM)ShirubaDangan Wrote:  I don't believe the United States will ever become a theocracy but with the power the religiously blind hold. They still have a large say.

I am not so sanguine as you about a theocracy. I see a real danger. Just look at how open most of the Republican candidates have been about ignoring the Constitutional separation, not just of church and state, but Gingrich's statement about having Federal Marshals arresting 'activist' judges.

No, a few more like-minded members of Congress and a President who packs the Supreme Court with religio-fascists, and it could come about.

True, but I'm just being optimistic.

You can't forget about each of us fighting against any injustices and idiotic choices that the government makes. We will never be silent and once his presidential run is over. We have a chance of trying again.

Our political system is corrupt but it is surprising it can still succeed in such a state.

(28-01-2012 07:57 AM)NeonMoment Wrote:  Last time I checked...

Still not a theocracy.

It's this kind of ridiculousness that frustrates me about this country. We think ignoring the constitution is okay when it's about defending their 'god.' The religious don't get to decide what does and doesn't get taught to children especially when it is worse than a theory, it's bullshit.

I'm joking I see theist's who want to make this a Christian America instead of the United States of America but with people constantly battling against the power of stupidity. I believe we will continue only to push it away from power in our country.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?