Sending out a Call_of_the_Wild
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2015, 10:46 AM
Sending out a Call_of_the_Wild
Hey everybody,

Just wanted to invite Call of the Wild to have a 1v1 debate. He wants to defend Christian Theism. I am a passionate advocate for Agnostic Atheism. This seems like an opportunity for a valuable discussion.

Post if you are up for it. Thanks.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Dark Phoenix's post
19-03-2015, 06:50 PM
RE: Sending out a Call_of_the_Wild
COTW and I have exchanged a few PM's and he has agreed to join me here.

I am excited because I think we are going to have an interesting conversation.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
19-03-2015, 07:04 PM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2015 07:14 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
boxing Match between DARK Phoenix and call of the wild. All others will me deleted. Moms watching Evil_monster

Edit my phone ducking hates me

Fucking hates me Weeping

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
20-03-2015, 02:00 PM
I thought it would be a good starting point to get a sense of our backgrounds.

I am a Ex-Mormon who grew up in the Eastern United States. I am now an Agnostic Atheist. I am married but without children. I am a student, and in the meantime I work in a restaurant.

COTW told me to just peek at his bio, so I did. He is a 29 year old black war veteran with whole lot of interests. Among these are philosophy, religion, weightlifting, forensics, and martial arts.

Thank you for your service.

Have you always been a Theist? Are you a member of specific church?

-Karl Marx
20-03-2015, 03:23 PM
(20-03-2015 02:00 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  I thought it would be a good starting point to get a sense of our backgrounds.

I am a Ex-Mormon who grew up in the Eastern United States. I am now an Agnostic Atheist. I am married but without children. I am a student, and in the meantime I work in a restaurant.

I am also a student, and also working for Arizona Department of Transportation (A-DoT).

(20-03-2015 02:00 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  Thank you for your service.

Proud to serve Thumbsup

(20-03-2015 02:00 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  Have you always been a Theist?

Absolutely. As far back as I can remember, I've always had a Christian foundation. Not that we were the "going to Church every Sunday/Saturday" type of family, but the foundation was ALWAYS there, which still remains to this day.

(20-03-2015 02:00 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  Are you a member of specific church?

Not anymore. Was kinda raised on Seventh Day Adventist (SDA). It was here where I got my first glimpse of what it means to be "different" than everyone else, and this is within the Church community. It was here that I realized that all Churches are not created equally, and that was my introduction to the whole concept of "denominations" Laugh out load At the time, it was scary.

Right now I am kind of a "free lance" Christian Laugh out load
21-03-2015, 01:28 PM
(20-03-2015 03:23 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  Not anymore. Was kinda raised on Seventh Day Adventist (SDA). It was here where I got my first glimpse of what it means to be "different" than everyone else, and this is within the Church community. It was here that I realized that all Churches are not created equally, and that was my introduction to the whole concept of "denominations" Laugh out load At the time, it was scary.

Right now I am kind of a "free lance" Christian Laugh out load

Could you tell me more about being "different"? What did you mean by that?

Could you tell me more about Churches not being created equally? How does that tie in to your religious progression?

-Karl Marx
22-03-2015, 03:56 PM
(21-03-2015 01:28 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  Could you tell me more about being "different"? What did you mean by that? Could you tell me more about Churches not being created equally?

Well, for starters, one of the most unique things about SDA's is that they go church on Saturdays, as they believe that to be the Sabbath Day. Now, of course, the vast majority of all churches (that I'm aware of) go to church on Sunday's, and when you are used to that kind of commonality, anything different would almost be considered "strange" (for lack of a better term).

I even remember a girl in my neighborhood (shout out to Theresa Thumbsup ), during one of our childhood bickers, she said "At least I don't go to church on Saturday's!!!" She actually said that to me Laugh out load She used that as an insult!!!

This was during a very early time in my life (age 8-10), so as a kid, it dawned on me that we were doing things different than other places of worship. Not to mention other doctrinal differences such as the immaterial soul, life after death, heaven and hell...I used to think that God-worship was the same everywhere, only to realize that we all the same in some aspects, but different in others.

Now, as an adult, the shock-wave is long gone, as I now understand that these difference comes from different interpretations...but as a child, it was one hell of an eye opener.

(21-03-2015 01:28 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  How does that tie in to your religious progression?

Religious progression? Well, it helped me take an official STAND on my beliefs. So, I have my own personal standard of Christian beliefs, which are all Biblical based, and if a specific sect/denomination doesn't meet my standards of beliefs, I look at it as an "false doctrine/belief". It helped me be more aware, and realize that some interpretations are sincere, genuine, and legitimate...and some are deliberately misleading, deceitful, and just flat out apostasy (i.e Jehovah's Witnesses and the Mormon church)
23-03-2015, 01:15 AM
(22-03-2015 03:56 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  Well, for starters, one of the most unique things about SDA's is that they go church on Saturdays, as they believe that to be the Sabbath Day. Now, of course, the vast majority of all churches (that I'm aware of) go to church on Sunday's, and when you are used to that kind of commonality, anything different would almost be considered "strange" (for lack of a better term).

I even remember a girl in my neighborhood (shout out to Theresa Thumbsup ), during one of our childhood bickers, she said "At least I don't go to church on Saturday's!!!" She actually said that to me Laugh out load She used that as an insult!!!

This was during a very early time in my life (age 8-10), so as a kid, it dawned on me that we were doing things different than other places of worship. Not to mention other doctrinal differences such as the immaterial soul, life after death, heaven and hell...I used to think that God-worship was the same everywhere, only to realize that we all the same in some aspects, but different in others.

Now, as an adult, the shock-wave is long gone, as I now understand that these difference comes from different interpretations...but as a child, it was one hell of an eye opener.

Religious progression? Well, it helped me take an official STAND on my beliefs. So, I have my own personal standard of Christian beliefs, which are all Biblical based, and if a specific sect/denomination doesn't meet my standards of beliefs, I look at it as an "false doctrine/belief". It helped me be more aware, and realize that some interpretations are sincere, genuine, and legitimate...and some are deliberately misleading, deceitful, and just flat out apostasy (i.e Jehovah's Witnesses and the Mormon church)

Thanks for the info. I relate. The Mormonism of my upbringing departs from the mainstream frequently, and yet it was normal as seen through my child's eyes.

We seem to be in agreement that Mormonism is false. I have to admit, I did not expect to find common ground so soon. Big Grin

-Karl Marx
23-03-2015, 01:51 AM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2015 09:19 AM by Dark Phoenix.)
Thanks for answering my questions. I think I have at least some sense of your background, and maybe some of your perspective. I hope to gain more as we go along.

You are welcome to any questions of your own. I don't know what you might think of someone with my background. Am I entirely outside of your experience? What do you think of Mormonism and Atheism?

-Karl Marx
23-03-2015, 03:36 PM
(23-03-2015 01:51 AM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  You are welcome to any questions of your own.

Certainly.

1. Why are you an atheist/agnostic?

2. What is your attitude towards Jesus Christ?

3. What is the single most best argument that you have against theism?

I thank you for answering these questions in advance Thumbsup

(23-03-2015 01:51 AM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  I don't know what you might think of someone with my background. Am I entirely outside of your experience?

That has yet to be seen, my friend Consider

(23-03-2015 01:51 AM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  What do you think of Mormonism and Atheism?

Mormonism is a very false view of Christianity, and it is my opinion that everyone knows deep down inside that God exists...they are just in denial.
Thread Closed