"Senior Member"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2013, 06:23 PM
"Senior Member"
So the default title under our avatar is "senior member" after "x" amount of posts. Thought this could be a lil misleading to newer members who might think it has actual merit--look at the trolls who reach "senior member" in short order. I mean, yeah, we figure out in time who's legit & who's just here to yank people's chains, but mebbe' reserve "senior member" for a higher post count or somethin'? Small stuff.

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Percepticon's post
08-01-2013, 07:00 PM
RE: "Senior Member"
Or better yet, tack on some qualification for needing Likes or Rep to get such a lofty title.

Me, bah, what's in a title? I'm the guy that never tested for my brown or black belts - my instructor just gave them to me. Not a gift; I put in the time and effort and then some. Just one day he asked me why I wasn't testing and I told him I cared more about learning the art than displaying how much I knew (truth, not just spewing zen wisdom or some such). His reply was to tell me that I was definitely skilled enough to easily pass both tests and he expected his assistant instructors to look the part and he gave me both belts right there (it was his way of asking me to become an assistant instructor).

Short answer, I don't care what it says under my name unless the title comes with responsibility to others, in which case they need the title to recognize my responsibility to them.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
08-01-2013, 07:30 PM
I don't care about my title, either. I just think people might see "senior member" and get the impression that this means we're sage-like, wise, mature, respected and respectable.....

.....and we know none of us are Tongue

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-01-2013, 08:05 PM
Always and Never

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
Find all posts by this user