Senior catholic to be charged with serious sexual assault charges.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-06-2017, 01:56 AM
RE: Senior catholic to be charged with serious sexual assault charges.
(29-06-2017 01:47 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  According the the ABC, Pell will return to Australia to fight the charges against him, having been granted leave to do so by Pope Frankfurter.

The surprise isn't well and truly lost...

(29-06-2017 01:47 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  And anyway, as any Australians here would know, we save our state-sponsered murder and torture for Asians and darkies what dun come o'er on boats.

Between this and the unwillingness of our government to legalise same sex marriage among other issues, I'm sometimes embarrassed to be an aussie in this day and age.

What's the difference between a cow and religion?

You can't milk a cow for 2000 years...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Gruntsky's post
29-06-2017, 02:00 AM
(29-06-2017 01:56 AM)Gruntsky Wrote:  
(29-06-2017 01:47 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  According the the ABC, Pell will return to Australia to fight the charges against him, having been granted leave to do so by Pope Frankfurter.

The surprise isn't well and truly lost...

(29-06-2017 01:47 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  And anyway, as any Australians here would know, we save our state-sponsered murder and torture for Asians and darkies what dun come o'er on boats.

Between this and the unwillingness of our government to legalise same sex marriage among other issues, I'm sometimes embarrassed to be an aussie in this day and age.

Hey, at least we still haven't hit UK or US yet?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
29-06-2017, 04:15 AM
(29-06-2017 01:47 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Guys hold up and give the news a bit more of a look over before we start making assassination jokes.

To clarify: I was making a kidnapping joke, not assassination. Eichmann was kidnapped by Mossad and smuggled out of Argentina back to Israel for trial.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 3 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
29-06-2017, 04:17 AM
(29-06-2017 04:15 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(29-06-2017 01:47 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Guys hold up and give the news a bit more of a look over before we start making assassination jokes.

To clarify: I was making a kidnapping joke, not assassination. Eichmann was kidnapped by Mossad and smuggled out of Argentina back to Israel for trial.

Oh... I learned a new today

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
29-06-2017, 08:40 AM
It's interesting how several important religious people that Dawkins has debated have gone on to be perverts and hypocrites, while Dawkins has remained a gentleman and a scholar.

How does atheism make people immoral again?

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
[+] 3 users Like Cosmo's post
30-06-2017, 03:25 AM
[Image: c3343732205713c6c09a359ef3d1d44a.jpg]

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 5 users Like SYZ's post
10-07-2017, 06:31 AM
UPDATE

Quote:SYDNEY (AP) — The most senior Vatican cleric to ever be charged in the Roman Catholic Church sex abuse scandal returned to Australia on Monday to stand trial in his home state on charges alleging he sexually assaulted multiple people years ago.

Cardinal George Pell, Pope Francis' top financial adviser, avoided waiting media when he arrived at Sydney Airport on a flight from Singapore. He had declined to comment in Singapore over the weekend as he made his way home from Rome.

I admit to being surprised. Shocked even. I was betting on him weaseling out, one way or another. Or weaseling out "again", I should say.

Now let's hope for vindication of those victimized by the church.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 3 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
27-07-2017, 01:08 AM
UPDATE: Cardinal Pell appeared in court for the first time on Wednesday, with his barrister making it clear his client would plead not guilty to all charges.

When police announced the charges last month, Pell vowed to fight the allegations, saying: "The whole idea of sexual abuse is abhorrent to me." And yet, during the Royal Commission into the church last year, when questioned about his admitted knowledge of paedophile priests being shifted to alternative diocese where they weren't known, Pell is on the record as saying of this knowledge: "It was of little interest to me".

This last admission, in particular, caused outrage amongst those who suffered sexual abuse at the hands of Pell's fellow priests. They quite rightly asked how it could be that Pell wasn't interested? One can only presume, in hindsight, that Pell was either complicit in these priestly relocations, and/or condoned the priests' sexual activities.

I'm also dubious about the court referring to Pell as "the Cardinal" plus the fact he's chosen to wear his clerical garb in the court. I see this as both a subtle appeal to his power and influence (used against his Catholic victims) and to grant him some sort of perceived authority—and therefore additional, although undue, credibility.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
27-07-2017, 01:34 AM
(27-07-2017 01:08 AM)SYZ Wrote:  I'm also dubious about the court referring to Pell as "the Cardinal" plus the fact he's chosen to wear his clerical garb in the court. I see this as both a subtle appeal to his power and influence (used against his Catholic victims) and to grant him some sort of perceived authority—and therefore additional, although undue, credibility.

It might well backfire. If the judge isn't religious he may take exception to such tactics. Do you guys have jury trial? How does the justice system work?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
27-07-2017, 01:59 AM
(27-07-2017 01:34 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(27-07-2017 01:08 AM)SYZ Wrote:  I'm also dubious about the court referring to Pell as "the Cardinal" plus the fact he's chosen to wear his clerical garb in the court. I see this as both a subtle appeal to his power and influence (used against his Catholic victims) and to grant him some sort of perceived authority—and therefore additional, although undue, credibility.

It might well backfire. If the judge isn't religious he may take exception to such tactics. Do you guys have jury trial? How does the justice system work?

Uhh...

I get that Australia is a largely irrelevant pockmark on the arse of the world which goes largely ignored until something in the region just happens to notice it... but... we're not so irrelevant as to be totally unknown are we...?