Senior catholic to be charged with serious sexual assault charges.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-07-2017, 02:20 AM
RE: Senior catholic to be charged with serious sexual assault charges.
(27-07-2017 01:34 AM)morondog Wrote:  It might well backfire. If the judge isn't religious he may take exception to such tactics. Do you guys have jury trial? How does the justice system work?

Yep... he'll face trial by jury. When the trial's finished, the judge advises the jury as to the correct verdict they should consider—but they're not bound by that advice of course. If he were to be found guilty—as I'll optimistically predict—then he can approach the appeals court for a retrial, which could overturn a guilty verdict.

Whatever, Pell's case could potentially drag on for months, and cost millions of taxpayer dollars.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
27-07-2017, 02:20 AM
(27-07-2017 01:59 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(27-07-2017 01:34 AM)morondog Wrote:  It might well backfire. If the judge isn't religious he may take exception to such tactics. Do you guys have jury trial? How does the justice system work?

Uhh...

I get that Australia is a largely irrelevant pockmark on the arse of the world which goes largely ignored until something in the region just happens to notice it... but... we're not so irrelevant as to be totally unknown are we...?

Well, over here we don't mostly have jury trial, it's a judge plus a couple of assistants who makes the call. My question is, does the good Cardinal have to convince 12 random slobs, or a legal guy who knows his shit?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
27-07-2017, 02:45 AM
(27-07-2017 02:20 AM)morondog Wrote:  My question is, does the good Cardinal have to convince 12 random slobs, or a legal guy who knows his shit?

Yep... a jury of 12, with a prosecution case delivered by the state. The members of the jury are drawn by random ballot from the general public, and are also subject to pre-trial rejection by either the prosecution or the defence for any perceived biasses.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post