Sense of Direction. (or not)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2015, 06:16 AM
Sense of Direction. (or not)
I've noticed over the years that there's two types of people. People who never need directions and can instinctively and quickly tell where they are, and those that get lost ten steps outside their front door.

I'm pretty good with my sense of direction. I'm sure it's not some mysterious 6th sense - but just an ingrained thought process, continually taking in visible stimuli and processing it quickly.

Some people -- like my SO -- are creatures of habit - that come unglued if they can't take the same path to work each day. I'm sure if she has to detour, she's afraid of getting lost. Anytime I go somewhere - if at all possible - and time allows, I'll take a different return trip. I like to see new stuff, and if I've been down a road once, chances are I'm not going to see anything new, going back the other way an hour later.

I have a GPS, but rarely use it. I find it's most useful in urban environments where the artificiality of one way streets and odd traffic patterns make it difficult to navigate.

I suppose it's probably some path of evolution - but I'm not sure whether having a good sense of direction is a step upward, or down on the evolutionary ladder......

Thoughts??

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
20-10-2015, 06:24 AM
RE: Sense of Direction. (or not)
I can normally navigate underwater and return to the general area of the boat without much difficulty, but every so often I get totally turned around. I use this as an example that depending on your situation, a new city, divesite, path in the woods no one is immune to getting lost.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
20-10-2015, 06:31 AM
I was fine until I read Plato. Now I doubt everything. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 9 users Like Banjo's post
20-10-2015, 06:33 AM
It's not an immunity to getting lost. I've always had a remarkable sense of direction and ability to almost-instinctively navigate which, coupled with military mapreading skill training, made me the most useful member of my old field science team at the KDHE on numerous occasions. It's one of the main reasons I got hired over several candidates who had MSc degrees, as well. We had over a dozen highly-intelligent and well-educated people on the teams, but when we did large ops out to the boonies, it quickly became apparent to me that none of them had a real clue where they were unless being led.

It has been a frustration of mine that every woman I've dated seems to be of the "no clue" category; my fiancee is so bad at it that she doesn't like to drive a car into town unless she's on an extremely well-known path, as in your example. On the other hand, she's perfectly content to follow me on the motorcycles anytime.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
20-10-2015, 06:34 AM
I'm definitely in the "or not" category. I get lost in houses I don't know. That made doing on-site computer work really interesting.

Anyone who is familiar with Ranma 1/2 will understand when I say that my friends call me Ryoga.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
20-10-2015, 06:56 AM
Nope, no sense of real direction.

The map function in my new car is great... when I can get it to work. Blush

Other than that? If it's a drive to a new place the street directory rides navigator on the passenger seat and gets looked at every few stop signs/traffic lights.
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post
20-10-2015, 07:04 AM
My instinctive sense of direction is atrocious. That might seem weird, seeing as how I'm an Army scout and all, lol, but as with all the things that come with being an ADHD kid with other miscellaneous issues, I've learned to compensate for my weaknesses or turn them into strengths. I don't pick up on my surroundings naturally, but I've been learning land navigation techniques, with or without compass, map, etc., most of my life. When I find myself wondering where I am and how the hell I got there I can always find my way back. Well, assuming I want to.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
20-10-2015, 07:06 AM
I remember going to a gig in one state with two other musicians from two other states. We got lost but eventually made the gig. Fastest load in and sound check ever! Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
20-10-2015, 07:55 AM
I have a great sense of direction if I have a good mental map of the area. I'm the one in our family who is always looking for short cuts and back roads--we live near Boston and the traffic is often terrible and the roads are bizarre. My husband goes the first way he figures out and sticks to it.

I love my GPS and the maps function on my phone. I often have to travel to new places locally as I go to various gigs. Most of the time I try to get back home on my own and don't mind taking a wrong turn or two. I keep going in the general geographic direction of home, and eventually I come onto a road I recognize.

I don't know if I'd fall neatly into either of your categories.
20-10-2015, 08:20 AM
I do not have a good natural sense of direction. I can usually orient myself OK outdoors (from the position of the sun and the time of day, etc.), but inside a building, I couldn't tell you which way is north or south. And even outdoors, if it's nighttime or cloudy, and I'm in an unfamiliar area, I get disoriented easily.

On the other hand, I have no great fear of getting lost, even though I have done so many times. In familiar areas (like the city I live in), if I get lost it's no big deal -- I just keep going, knowing that sooner or later I'll run into a road I recognize. And if I go to an unfamiliar city (or hike on unfamiliar trails), I always bring a map, and for trails, a compass. I'm confident that I can find my way with those tools.

I was in Munich, Germany once with some colleagues, and they were absolutely terrified to go walking in the city, even with my map. They were so afraid of getting lost that they wouldn't go out unless I went with them. The funny thing was that I didn't know Munich any better than they did. I just had confidence in my ability to read a map, and some sense of adventure (getting lost is not the end of the world).
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post