Sense of Direction. (or not)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2015, 08:27 AM
RE: Sense of Direction. (or not)
I've said for years my husband has a gps in his brain.

He found the house his great grandparents owned. He visited there once when he was 5 with his mom and grandmother (who was born in the house).

He found the house some 25 years later..completely by memory. yes it was the house we found pictures later.

He does that shit all the time. He can go somewhere once and just remembers...

Just recently a friend sent him a text saying he was somewhere in San Franscisco. Husband without looking at a map, just tapped out instructions on his phone and saved the poor fool a lot of trouble. Based on a completely vague discription (of where the pyramid building was) because it was nighttime.

Now me....I can find my way around but i will admit I'm directionally challenged. If I take the wrong exit off the freeway, I'll find my way there, but it will take me forever.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-10-2015, 08:32 AM
I know my general path I should take, and try new paths till I find the one that's the quickest. But I'm pants at remembering the names of the street. If you ask "do you know where x street is", I'll probably don't know, but If you name the neighborhood or a well known building, I'm probably do.

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
20-10-2015, 08:44 AM
I can get lost walking in the garden Confused

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
21-10-2015, 07:33 PM (This post was last modified: 21-10-2015 07:50 PM by dancefortwo.)
I have a dreadful sense of direction especially at night when I can't see where the sun is. Everything looks different at night and I get lost easily.

There was a study many years ago that blindfolded men and women and tested their sense of direction. I forget some of the details but I remember each blindfolded person was taken maybe a half a mile away from a specific place and had to find their way back. Each blindfolded person had a guide that held their hand and took direction, turn right or turn left, to get them back to the original place. The men did much better.

I'll try to find the study.

Edit:

Well, this isn't the study I wrote about but it's interesting information.

http://www.bustle.com/articles/99269-do-...-explained

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
21-10-2015, 07:39 PM
(20-10-2015 06:31 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I was fine until I read Plato. Now I doubt everything. Smile
He's a fucking asshole. I hope he burns for eternity.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
21-10-2015, 07:41 PM
(21-10-2015 07:33 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I have a dreadful sense of direction especially at night when I can't see where the sun is. Everything looks different at night and I get lost easily.

There was a study many years ago that blindfolded men and women and tested their sense of direction. I forget some of the details but I remember each blindfolded person was taken maybe a half a mile away from a specific place and had to find their way back. Each blindfolded person had a guide that held their hand and took direction, turn right or turn left, to get them back to the original place. The men did much better.

I'll try to find the study.

I would've bet on the women. Find the citation.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
21-10-2015, 07:50 PM
My dad had an amazing sense of direction which came in handy since he worked out of his truck and had to rearrange the order of those calls when a new one came in to avoid backtracking. He did carry a plat book in the truck - this was well before the days of GPS. He also kept an atlas in the car.

I would go on calls with him and he would suddenly ask if we were going N, S, E, or W. I would say I got it right about half the time. But hours spent riding calls with him left me with time to study the plat maps...or on road trips, the atlas. I can read a map and plan out a route with no problem. When I was in basic training, I was one of the only females that could make heads or tails of a map. That skill has come in handy many times.

My sense of direction isn't the greatest but I can nearly memorize a section of a map and often go against my GPS. I use the GPS mostly if I have to maneuver around road construction or accidents.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
22-10-2015, 09:54 PM
Sense of Direction. (or not)
My dad was a NY cabbie for many years (before I was born), and he had a good sense of direction. I think I inherited that. I don't get lost much, and when I do I'm not more than a mile or so off. My older sister, however, did not. Holy hell I can tell you stories...
23-10-2015, 12:17 AM
Bahhhhh my daughter is sick so she'll be skipping coming here this weekend.

Wait this isn't the Ranting thread. I think I took a wrong turn somewhere.
[+] 3 users Like Nishi Karano Kaze's post
23-10-2015, 09:06 PM
I have a pretty good sense of direction, though not immune from getting lost.
I use the sky for direction, unless it's cloudy.

I can look at a map for a few minutes and figure out a route. Then I don't need to look at the map again.

And I fucking despise those talking GPS gadgets. Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post