Sense of community and other things...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2012, 08:01 PM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2012 08:05 PM by craniumonempty.)
Sense of community and other things...
We have community on the net and talk among one another, but the localized closeness and "brotherhood" (because I can't think of something better currently) is probably another big thing that keeps people from even considering leaving their religion (apart from indoctrination and fear of hell and death and stuff). That's probably why it's so easy for some to just skip over to another church or religion, because they are trying to find a group that is more liked minded and so they can maintain that closeness.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...eserve-it/

In that story, it has a few elements that I'd like to point out, but first the story. Greene was threatening to sue to get the Nativity scene off the courthouse lawn. He had to stop due to a diagnosis and he couldn't afford to confirm the diagnosis of something that might make him go blind. Free medical looks much better when you are in a situation like that, what do you do when you don't have the money? Either way, the church that was apparently the ones that were putting up the scene raised a little money for him.

Many articles (not all of them) neglected to mention that an atheist group (I think ACA) was already raising money. Plus, Greene said they were "real Christians".

I know Greene is a person of his time, but the first thing I want to talk about is him saying "real Christian". If they were Muslim, would he have called them "real Muslims"? If they were atheists, would he have called them "real atheists"? They were being real or rather kind humans or however that should be said. It irks me when people say I'm being "Christian" when I'm trying to do good things for my fellow human. I know it's a stupid part of our society, but it still irks me.

The other thing, are those "real Christians" going to take down their nativity scene now? Do they even realize why he was against it in the first place? Hell, they probably think he went blind because of him being against it, so they are probably going to fight harder next time.

The last and major point. Look at the image of them protesting for Jesus. It's silly because they still probably don't really understand why he was against it. Either way, that's a good example of what we are up against. One man in a community trying to follow the law and his own conscience, against all these people. Then they turn around and do something good for the guy, but they don't even see the strings attached, do they? The press. The fact he will probably never file the suit against them now due to guilt. The "example" of how good... oh, I mean "Christian" they can be. Look how fucking many of them there are! If they wanted to really help him, they would have given a lot more. The ACA isn't that big and they already had 500 compared to their 400.

Well, I started this with the idea of the fact we need more community, but never got to that... We do, but the situation is so damned complex. We just have to keep on... doing something. Hell we have Tennessee on a blitz against education. Soon people there won't even know how to read anything but the Bible.

They won't stop either. Look at Egor. Hell, he probably knows he's wrong in many ways. He doesn't stop. That's why religion hasn't gone yet. Anyone who thinks people will just wake up, doesn't realize the complexity of this situation. It's a long and slow process. It's been going on since religion started. Hell, it's not even about getting rid of religion, but religion makes it hard not to want that.

TL/DR: That was "Christian" of you.

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes craniumonempty's post
22-03-2012, 08:16 PM
RE: Sense of community and other things...
Yeah, I see what you're saying. I was watching a TED talk on why people are religious and I then realized it is far more intricate then I had ever imagined. We are communal organisms. Religions feed on that, they use that powerful driver to get people to stick with the beliefs. If you leave, some church member will be knocking on your door with a basket of muffins pleading for you to come back. Since religion is all about community it will be difficult to get a majority or even a plurality to renegade.
[+] 3 users Like Indian's post
22-03-2012, 08:31 PM
(22-03-2012 08:16 PM)Indian Wrote:  Yeah, I see what you're saying. I was watching a TED talk on why people are religious and I then realized it is far more intricate then I had ever imagined. We are communal organisms. Religions feed on that, they use that powerful driver to get people to stick with the beliefs. If you leave, some church member will be knocking on your door with a basket of muffins pleading for you to come back. Since religion is all about community it will be difficult to get a majority or even a plurality to renegade.

Yeah, I didn't get into community as much as I wanted to. That was actually the thing that kept me being an active member well after I knew I didn't believe in God. I actually questioned less after that, because I kept expecting the belief to come back. It wasn't until I was around other atheists that I finally started to feel more sane. Community is really powerful and that is only one aspect of a much larger problem.

Like I said, it's not really about getting rid of religion. At least not for me. It's about getting people to not be afraid to question. To learn about the world around them and all the advances that we have made as humanity. To recognize how much we have achieved as living things that started out as simple bacteria. It's so fucking amazing and yet there is this huge group of people blind to it. That's why it makes it difficult not to want to do away with religion altogether, but even if you were to do that, it doesn't solve anything. People will still be irrational as we are.. and other things. Religion just makes it very hard for people to accept reality.

[+] 1 user Likes craniumonempty's post
23-03-2012, 06:19 AM
Mabe it would be nice if atheists had a philantropic organiation - donating to school science classes and such. It draws positive attention.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
23-03-2012, 06:31 AM
(23-03-2012 06:19 AM)Dom Wrote:  Mabe it would be nice if atheists had a philantropic organiation - donating to school science classes and such. It draws positive attention.

We do have them. Most are secular which is fine, but there are specific atheist organizations as well, but they are scattered and difficult as in any specific area there aren't that many people that identify as atheist. I guess that's why I enjoyed Austin so much, because there were all those atheists there... you could touch them... uh, I mean they were right there in front of you, not that you would reach over and rub their faces or anything... either way, even online there are groups that get together to raise money for this or that (Doctors Without Borders is a big one). It would be nice to have some local groups also that can build upon secular organizations. The group can be atheist, but I think when helping we should all be secular (which many atheists are when they help, but just saying it).

23-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Dumping the religion does often mean dumping friends and social networks.
Like breaking away from being an alcoholic, you have to dump your drinking buddies.

Could you see a placard the said, "This playground donated by the Atheist of America".

How about the adopt a highway signs?

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
23-03-2012, 03:10 PM
(23-03-2012 03:03 PM)Thomas Wrote:  Like breaking away from being an alcoholic, you have to dump your drinking buddies.

Ummm ... what if you drink alone? Blush

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post