Sense of "self".

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-11-2013, 12:19 PM
RE: Sense of "self".
(28-11-2013 12:07 PM)bemore Wrote:  Nice answers, however they are not the answers to my questions. I never asked for what the sense of self is. I asked people to describe how their sense of self is to them, if it has a feeling and what it means to experience it and where you feel it may be rooted (if anywhere)

define with an example, how would X famous person answer you question. ?

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-11-2013, 12:31 PM
(28-11-2013 12:19 PM)sporehux Wrote:  
(28-11-2013 12:07 PM)bemore Wrote:  Nice answers, however they are not the answers to my questions. I never asked for what the sense of self is. I asked people to describe how their sense of self is to them, if it has a feeling and what it means to experience it and where you feel it may be rooted (if anywhere)

define with an example, how would X famous person answer you question. ?

I would rather not give an example, I would rather people share in their own words at attempts to answer the questions I have asked.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
28-11-2013, 12:34 PM
That just it , I feel like you've asked me what is the color of number 7

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
28-11-2013, 12:37 PM
People are going to struggle with this one without using metaphors. I already read so many homunculus ones like HoC's Big Grin

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
28-11-2013, 12:38 PM
(28-11-2013 12:34 PM)sporehux Wrote:  That just it , I feel like you've asked me what is the color of number 7

(Number racism again Dodgy )

Maybe you need more time to think about it, its one of those things that we just do/are every single day of our lives yet we may struggle to describe it.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
28-11-2013, 12:40 PM
(28-11-2013 12:37 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  People are going to struggle with this one without using metaphors. I already read so many homunculus ones like HoC's Big Grin

If metaphors are the closest you can come to, then use them. Smile

So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
28-11-2013, 12:40 PM (This post was last modified: 28-11-2013 12:45 PM by grizzlysnake.)
(28-11-2013 12:38 PM)bemore Wrote:  
(28-11-2013 12:34 PM)sporehux Wrote:  That just it , I feel like you've asked me what is the color of number 7

Maybe you need more time to think about it, its one of those things that we just do/are every single day of our lives yet we may struggle to describe it.
It's like describing how chocolate tastes to someone who doesn't have tastebuds.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
28-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Purely from an internal point of view, my self has very large eyes attached to a very large head in which I view and experience the world. (Perhaps I am an Animé bobble head. —?) I think it's nearly impossible not to have an egocentric view of the world, i.e. feeling that things happen to them, about them, for them, in spite of them, etc.
I think it would be worse if I actually thought that there was a creator of the entire universe who was personally involved in my daily minutia of finding keys, helping me make green lights, and such trivial nonsense.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
28-11-2013, 12:44 PM
(28-11-2013 12:40 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  It's like describing what chocolate tastes like to someone who doesn't have tastebuds.

We both have a sense of self, why is it so hard to describe to another?

So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
28-11-2013, 12:53 PM
(28-11-2013 12:38 PM)bemore Wrote:  

For me...and maybe only me. It's about surrendering (capitulation).

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon