Sense of "self".

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-11-2013, 12:56 PM
RE: Sense of "self".
I am a metastable self-maintaining emergent neural pattern.

So are you.

Maybe.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
28-11-2013, 01:02 PM
It's like moving in and out of my head at the same time. But not so much in a physical way, it feels like a very light air boiling (but without heat) in my body, predominantly in my head... If I think too hard it's a bit like a headache

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
28-11-2013, 01:07 PM (This post was last modified: 28-11-2013 01:13 PM by DLJ.)
OK Beemy, 'cause it's you, I'll give it a try.

From a very early age I have felt detached from what is going on around me.

Not 'outside' exactly but rather observing from within.

I remember, as a teen, trying to describe it to a friend as kinda like there's a me that's involved in whatever is going on around me and at the same time there is another me within who is providing analysis and a narrative.

Strip away that outer layer, through analysis of self and there is another layer within what is within that performs the narrative for the new outer layer (which was the one within).

Analysis of self i.e. self-awareness has been a process of stripping away the layers.

As you asked for a sentence and perhaps a metaphor...

I am an onion...

Read me and weep.

Dodgy

EDIT: I just noticed that this was my 6,666th post. Ooooh!

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
28-11-2013, 01:13 PM
(28-11-2013 01:07 PM)DLJ Wrote:  OK Beemy, 'cause it's you, I'll give it a try.

I remember, as a teen, trying to describe it to a friend as kinda like there's a me that's involved in whatever is going on around me and at the same time there is another me within who is providing analysis and a narrative.

Strip away that outer layer, through analysis of self and there is another layer within what is within that performs the narrative for the new outer layer (which was the one within).

Analysis of self i.e. self-awareness has been a process of stripping away the layers.

I am an onion...

Read me and weep.

Dodgy

and you smell bad Hobo

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 2 users Like nach_in's post
28-11-2013, 01:31 PM
(28-11-2013 01:07 PM)DLJ Wrote:  OK Beemy, 'cause it's you, I'll give it a try.

I am an onion...

Read me and weep.

Dodgy

EDIT: I just noticed that this was my 6,666th post. Ooooh!

I love onions (they usually don't like me much tho) Hug

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

28-11-2013, 01:31 PM
(28-11-2013 12:07 PM)bemore Wrote:  Nice answers, however they are not the answers to my questions. I never asked for what the sense of self is. I asked people to describe how their sense of self is to them, if it has a feeling and what it means to experience it and where you feel it may be rooted (if anywhere)

Parliament works on third floor, second door down, on your left.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
28-11-2013, 01:32 PM (This post was last modified: 28-11-2013 01:39 PM by GirlyMan.)
(28-11-2013 10:57 AM)bemore Wrote:  Can you describe it, limited to one sentence?

No fucking way. I took an entire course on "self" when I was still a PHIL Major at Uni from this guy - Raymond Martin

All of his online papers there are good but this one is probably my favorite. Would it matter all that much if there were no selves?
I'm sure I posted this here before. Lemme go spelunking. ... Ah, there it is. Identity.

(28-11-2013 12:56 PM)cjlr Wrote:  I am a metastable self-maintaining emergent neural pattern.

So are you.

Maybe.

Although that one's pretty damn good. ... I mean for coming from a physicist and whatnot. Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
28-11-2013, 01:58 PM
(28-11-2013 11:14 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I am merely the Prime Minister of an unruly Parliament.

A rump parliament, surely?

... this is my signature!
28-11-2013, 02:09 PM
(28-11-2013 01:58 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(28-11-2013 11:14 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I am merely the Prime Minister of an unruly Parliament.

A rump parliament, surely?

Blink

I don't think I like you no morez. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
28-11-2013, 02:17 PM
(28-11-2013 12:07 PM)bemore Wrote:  Nice answers, however they are not the answers to my questions. I never asked for what the sense of self is. I asked people to describe how their sense of self is to them, if it has a feeling and what it means to experience it and where you feel it may be rooted (if anywhere)

My self is the CEO.

My brain is a big company with specific hardware that is common to all humans, some hardware that is specific to my ancestry and myself, different departments for research, data storage, data retrieval, record keeping and everything else needed to run an efficient company.

My company does most everything for me, much of it totally without my knowledge even, all the departments do their jobs.

When something requires special attention or unusual resolutions, it lands on the CEO's desk.

I am the whole company, really, but my self is the CEO.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post