Sensory Benches to connect with nature- Scotland

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2014, 07:44 AM
Sensory Benches to connect with nature- Scotland
I want to go there!

http://www.eturbonews.com/45288/ecologic...wilderness

from the article:

the idea that modern lifestyles harm health and wellbeing because people lose their connection to nature.

They are clustered in small groups in 12 locations around Dumfries and Galloway’s Dark Skies Park and UNESCO Biosphere. The sites have been specially chosen to trigger people’s sense – perhaps through the sound of nearby water, views of huge day and nighttime skyscapes, or the noise of the wind through the trees and grasses.

On a clear night, people lying on the sensory benches will be able to see up to 7,000 stars and planets and the great arc of the Milky Way.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2014, 07:56 AM
RE: Sensory Benches to connect with nature- Scotland
Not many people go to the Dark Skies part of Dumfries and Galloway. It's along the border between Scotland and England and on the west side of the country so most people from England travel past it to get to the highlands or go north from the central belt of Scotland. I went there for a job interview once and it was quite a nice area. Very green, quiet, lots of trees and pleasant. I don't know if the highland midge has reached that area or not, I know you get the midge as far south as Lanarkshire in the summer.

The far north of the highlands is also very dark at night but is certainly less pleasant to just lay back at night and look at the stars either because of the wind and midge (you get one or the other). The beauty of the far north west highlands lays in its barren landscape.

Scotland is such a small country with so many different landscapes packed into it. You can driving along a windy road one minute and the next minute the landscape changes due to the underlying geology. My favourite counties / districts were Perthshire and Rossshire. I think the most beautiful part of the highlands is Glen Affric though. Don't bother with Loch Ness or Aviemore.
12-05-2014, 08:04 AM
are midge's and mosquito's similar?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
12-05-2014, 08:11 AM
(12-05-2014 08:04 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  are midge's and mosquito's similar?

Midges are much smaller and far far more plentiful. They are about a millimetre in size with stripey wings. I remember wild camping in the middle of a remote area in the highlands at night once next to some water on a still night which made it perfect midge conditions. Walking into a cloud of them felt like a wet slap on the face with a flannel. We had black stuff coming out of our ears and nose for days.

Midges don't have to be a problem though, certainly not to that extent in the Borders. They go to ground in any form of wind (and Scotland is almost always windy) and they don't like it too sunny. They're mainly a problem in July and August.