Sentenced to church for 10 years for manslaughter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2012, 06:06 PM
RE: Sentenced to church for 10 years for manslaughter
(19-11-2012 04:27 PM)Diablo666 Wrote:  
(19-11-2012 01:35 PM)cufflink Wrote:  I agree that alternative sentencing was the right way to go. The U.S. has the highest documented incarceration rate in the world. And it's not about rehabilitation, or "getting criminals off the street," or any other such excuses; it's about punishment and retribution. As AS said, the kid would go into jail a sad, scared teen who did a stupid and irresponsible thing and emerge a hardened criminal. Great system.

That said, the judge's alternative was not only unconstitutional but would likely result in an outcome almost as bad as 10 years of prison. Oklahoma is one of the churchiest, most fundie-ridden places in the country. (On a visit to Tulsa several years ago, I had the feeling I could close my eyes, turn in any direction on the compass, walk a short distance, and be assured of hitting a church.) What kind of church do you suppose the kid will be attending for 520 Sundays? More than likely one where he'd have it drilled into him that women should be subservient to their husbands, gays are the scum of the earth, Jesus should be invoked in public schools, abortion should be illegal in all cases, evolution is a lie, and everyone who's not a Bible-believing, born-again Christian is going to hell. Yeah, that'll create a model citizen.

How much better it would have been if the compassionate judge had sentenced the kid to 10 years of community service--working in soup kitchens, changing bed pans in cancer wards, helping poorly educated adults learn to read . . . actually doing some good in the world. That would help a kid like this see things in perspective and gain some much-needed responsibility.
10 years of free labor is a bit rough isn't it?

At the rate we throw kids in jail, pretty soon there wouldn't be any jobs left. Just slave labor from prisons.

I didn't mean to imply I was advocating 10 years of free labor at 40 hours a week. Rather, whatever time he would have spent in church--I dunno, how long do church services usually last? an hour? two hours?--he would spend at community service. Seems to me that would be a pretty good deal.

And I wouldn't worry too much about the slave labor taking good jobs away from Americans who want them. I haven't seen too many people lining up to change bed pans, even if they're jobless.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like cufflink's post

Messages In This Thread