Seperation anxiety

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2014, 04:03 PM
Seperation anxiety
Normally the dogs have this disorder - but here I go! Had to leave my little dog Mop at the vet's for two days, he has a slipped disk. I am at a total loss - I think someone needs to lock me in a kennel quick before I start tearing up the furniture!

Jokes aside, this is a big blow to me. Mop and I are joined at the hip, always together - but no more. When he gets back I will have to keep him sedated for 6 weeks to allow the spine to heal - and after that no more stairs for him. I will have to put a gate up so he can't follow me down to the veggie garden anymore, that has a bunch of steps going down. I spend a lot of time there all summer.

He has a 90% chance of recouping - and then he still won't be allowed on stairs. Now I will have to keep my Shepherd from following me there also or there will be jealousy.

I don't want to think about the 10% chance of not recouping... I am sure attached to my dogs. I feel naked without Mop here. Something is missing every step I take...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
17-04-2014, 04:17 PM
RE: Seperation anxiety
(17-04-2014 04:03 PM)Dom Wrote:  Normally the dogs have this disorder - but here I go! Had to leave my little dog Mop at the vet's for two days, he has a slipped disk. I am at a total loss - I think someone needs to lock me in a kennel quick before I start tearing up the furniture!

Jokes aside, this is a big blow to me. Mop and I are joined at the hip, always together - but no more. When he gets back I will have to keep him sedated for 6 weeks to allow the spine to heal - and after that no more stairs for him. I will have to put a gate up so he can't follow me down to the veggie garden anymore, that has a bunch of steps going down. I spend a lot of time there all summer.

He has a 90% chance of recouping - and then he still won't be allowed on stairs. Now I will have to keep my Shepherd from following me there also or there will be jealousy.

I don't want to think about the 10% chance of not recouping... I am sure attached to my dogs. I feel naked without Mop here. Something is missing every step I take...

Oh you silly human, you and your over-powered limbic system.
I can't say I know the feeling though, my dog has always been an outside dog, so I never formed that kind of attachment to her... Though I'm sure she did to me.

It sucks that you wont have that dog at your side all the time, but I'm sure you'll adjust easily enough once it's up and about again, all that matters right now is that your 'Mop' gets better, so let it take it's course and just start pampering that Shepherd of yours to help cope. And then be sure to pamper Mop once it's back doing it's thing.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
17-04-2014, 04:22 PM
I'm sorry, Dom, can't imagine Sad Hug

[Image: dlapuo244d3.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
17-04-2014, 04:25 PM
(17-04-2014 04:03 PM)Dom Wrote:  Normally the dogs have this disorder - but here I go! Had to leave my little dog Mop at the vet's for two days, he has a slipped disk. I am at a total loss - I think someone needs to lock me in a kennel quick before I start tearing up the furniture!

I think it's awesome that you love Mop so much. He is lucky to have sucha great mom? Friend? Well, he's lucky anyways. This is going to be a tough adjustment but you'll get through it, especially knowing it's what's best for Mop. Hugs and Love Heart Hug Heart

I have laughed, in bitterness and agony of heart, at the contrast between what I seem and what I am!
Nathaniel Hawthorne
[+] 1 user Likes LostandInsecure's post
17-04-2014, 04:27 PM
I really hope all goes well with Mop. Odds at 90% are very good. I'm sure he'll be fine. I have a Golden Retriever who is constantly by my side and suffers separation anxiety when I'm not around, but I feel the same when I have to leave him at the kennels when I go away...the wife thinks I'm nuts.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
17-04-2014, 04:34 PM
Dogs are truly amazing creatures. It's really no wonder how so many people can get attached to them. I'm sorry to hear that about Mop. I hope everything goes alright for him. Maybe you guys can find other things to do together indoors to make up for the time he waits for you to come back from the garden? Is there at least a nearby window for him to watch you as you plant?

[Image: notagain.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Miss Suzanne's post
17-04-2014, 05:32 PM
Hug

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
17-04-2014, 06:03 PM
He is a Lhasa Apso - they are mostly parlor dogs now, which is not what they are bred for and they don't do really well as such. They get bored and grumpy, they are bred for action.

They are bred as watch dogs, to work in tandem with large guard dogs. They are extremely watchful, and unlike most small dogs, they only bark when there is something going on that needs to be paid attention to. (car coming, person approaching the house, something moving in the bushes etc.) This then brings the often less attentive larger guard dog into action - in my case the German Shepherd. Together they are pretty much a foolproof alarm and defense system.

I got the Shepherd a couple of years ago after my husband died - he is a "failed" police dog, he pulled a ham string during one of the necessary tests to be approved as canine officer. So he decided he wasn't going to do that particular exercise any more. Being a previous trainer of protection dogs, I still had connections and they released him to me rather than waiting another year until he could test again.

At that time I had already had Mop for several years. Mop was a rescue, he was one of a few dozen puppies confiscated from a small puppy mill. He is obviously inbred, he has a twisted front leg that doesn't bother him in the least, and now we know he also has a spinal deformity. He is 6 years old.

It is not as serious as it could be - many have to be put down asap when a disk slips because paralysis and incontinence come with it. Mop is lucky - he just has pain and needs the spot to heal up. So he will be immobilized for 6 weeks and will have to be sedated all that time because of his high activity level.

But- once healed up - no more rambunctious play, no more running (and boy, he loves to race), no stairs, no jumping, and so some of our common activities, well, most of them, will not be ok anymore.

It's a mess. I'll get him back - physically - but things will never be the same again.

It will be quite the chore to keep him from going back to his usual self once the pain is gone...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
17-04-2014, 08:12 PM
A good reminder for me.

Some days I wish I could just not have an animal on me, especially the one that has a need to lay on my foot till all the feeling is gone in it. Or the cat and one dog that think they must lay on my book when studying or reading. And when one or all go into lick mode. Being followed to the bathroom and into the kitchen and sleeping around me so that I am trapped under the blanket and feel guilty having to get up or even to try to change positions.

I would miss it if it were suddenly gone. Confused

Hope you Mop is better soon and back with you.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
17-04-2014, 09:00 PM
Sorry to hear, Dom. But I'm glad that you're not losing him at least, he sounds like a good friend to have around.

Hug

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street