Seperation anxiety

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2014, 12:58 PM
RE: Seperation anxiety
Well, I now confine him in a cage in the kitchen when I run around the house, and he is ok with that, he sees me zooming around. When I am at the computer he lays down at my feet. If I sit outside and read, ditto. It gets troublesome when I cannot take him with me - he thrashes around in his kennel to where he moves it half way across the room. That cannot be good. so I leave him lose in the living room and pray he won't stand up to scratch the door. So far no scratch marks.

He is dopey... but gets excited and I do have to watch it when people come here, I pick him up and keep him in my arms - back always supported.

It's no fun for either of us. And there is no way to keep him from walking, he just does worse things to his back instead. So I have him moving very very very slowly from place to place.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2014, 01:03 PM
Poor little thing doesn't understand why he can't run and play with mommy.

Mine would be hard to confine if they couldn't follow me around. I certainly haven't even been able to go to the bathroom alone in a long time.

Better every day, I hope!

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
24-04-2014, 06:00 PM
(24-04-2014 01:03 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Poor little thing doesn't understand why he can't run and play with mommy.

Mine would be hard to confine if they couldn't follow me around. I certainly haven't even been able to go to the bathroom alone in a long time.

Better every day, I hope!

There is really no way to tell until he gets xrayed again 5 weeks from now... we just have to keep him doped and still for that time to allow healing.

And - it's congenital, the direct result of puppy farm breeding. That means it can happen again and again in different locations on his spine.

I am not sure yet what decision I will make if it does happen again - let's first see how we get through these 5 weeks and see how he is after that and then we will go from there.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
24-04-2014, 07:23 PM
I sure hope that is not the case Dom. No more painful stuff for Mop.

I am afraid that I didn't know Cavaliers are prone to heart issues, I am not sure that would have stopped me from getting Chopper....I just love him so damn much, but I do worry. So far he and Karma aren't showing any signs. Like my kids, there was never a guarantee that they would be healthy.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
25-04-2014, 10:09 AM
Ya well, with pure bred dogs it is much smarter and also kinder to buy from reputable breeders, never pet stores or backyard breeders.

The possibility of bad traits appearing increases exponentially with inbreeding and breeding without records of ancestors.

You end up saving a ton of money in vet bills if you pay a bit more up front, and you help discourage indiscriminate breeding of pure breds. That eliminates a lot of pain and suffering for dogs.

Mop was a rescue and I did know what I may be getting into. He had 6 good years.
With any luck and careful management, he may be enjoying life for a few more years.

I would never have bought him, even if just to avoid encouraging the breeder to breed more of the same.

[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
25-04-2014, 10:25 AM
My heart over ruled my head with Chopper.

I had just gotten my cancer diagnosis and was facing the mastectomies. We had a rescue dog that was supposed to be my son's dog but she was glued to me. I knew she would grieve when she couldn't lay on me for a few weeks.

My husband and I stopped to get gas and some people had puppies for sale out front. My husband pointed them out to me knowing that seeing the puppies would make me happy. I got out and walked over. There were three pups, one smaller than the others. I asked to hold him. He was so cute. He licked me on the nose and curled up in my lap. It was love at first sight - both ways. I thought about how it would be nice to have a playmate for Lady. Either way, I couldn't leave without him. I bought him right them and there.

Lady is such a mom and was so busy minding the new puppy that she got through me being locked away in a room just fine. I later learned that the people I got him from were well known as breeders in the area (in a good way). A couple years later I went back and got Karma, from their last litter before they stopped raising dogs.

All in all it's been a good experience and Chop is still my special buddy. It's crazy how much I love that dog and he loves me.

I wouldn't suggest the way in which I got him to other people. Though not usually a believer in 'this was meant to be', I sometimes think that it was.

[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
29-04-2014, 09:16 AM
How are things going Dom?

Are you seeing improvement and is Mop starting to enjoy being waited on? (more than usual, I mean)

29-04-2014, 10:02 AM
It's all the same and will be for the duration. He is drugged, in no pain, best that can be said is that he is getting used to the new routine and I have managed to adjust things (my life that is) to allow him to be next to me as much as possible, since that seems to be the only thing that keeps him totally calm. He is adjusting to being in a cage in the kitchen while I zoom around the house, normally he follows every step I take.

a bit over 4 1/2 weeks to go...

08-05-2014, 05:55 PM
How are things with Mop, Dom? Is he adjusting to his temporary lifestyle a little better yet?

People used to laugh at me when I would say "I want to be a comedian". Well nobody is laughing now!

You can never lose a homing pigeon - if your homing pigeon doesn't come back, what you've lost is a pigeon.
08-05-2014, 06:10 PM
(08-05-2014 05:55 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  How are things with Mop, Dom? Is he adjusting to his temporary lifestyle a little better yet?

Hah, no, I am the one adjusting Tongue .

I spend a lot more time sitting around here at the computer, out in the garden, in the living room and so forth. He then happily just lies at my feet and stays still.

I have gained 3 pounds from not moving. Confused

I can put him in a cage in the kitchen when I zoom around the house doing things - the open layout lets him keep an eye on me and so he stays still. Normally he would follow my every step.

The kennel is out, he either howls or thrashes around in there which is totally counter productive.

Carrying him out to go potty is a no go also, So I leash him and walk very slowly. I think he thinks I am the sick one...

So, yeah, we will make it through... I can't wait. He seems content now.