Seperation of Church and State

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-06-2014, 02:11 PM
Seperation of Church and State
So I just got off duty and we had a Change of Command ceremony. For those who aren't military this is basically a passing of the responsibilities of a military commander.

It's typically pretty cool but I found something rather interesting I was dying to share. During the beginning of the ceremony they had the posting of the flag and the national anthem and.....a prayer? So our Chaplin gets up and starts off with "Please feel free to pray to what ever God you do" and goes on "Oh heavenly father" Facepalm I automatically thought so we can pray to whatever God while you get to pray to your's out loud? And why the fuck is there even a prayer at a military function? Correct me if I'm wrong but seeing as the military is government funded doesn't the separation of church and state apply? Isn't this the same as a teacher leading a prayer in a classroom?

In all of this there was a bit of surprisingly good news. The commander of my Flight(Air Force Term) or basically the first line of commanding officers above me was right next to me. During the prayer I of course held my head high and out of the corner of my eye I see she's looking up too as well as my first level enlisted superior Thumbsup That totally made my day seeing that I'm not alone especially at the top level.Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes MrKrispy601's post
30-06-2014, 02:15 PM
RE: Seperation of Church and State
(30-06-2014 02:11 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  So I just got off duty and we had a Change of Command ceremony. For those who aren't military this is basically a passing of the responsibilities of a military commander.

It's typically pretty cool but I found something rather interesting I was dying to share. During the beginning of the ceremony they had the posting of the flag and the national anthem and.....a prayer? So our Chaplin gets up and starts off with "Please feel free to pray to what ever God you do" and goes on "Oh heavenly father" Facepalm I automatically thought so we can pray to whatever God while you get to pray to your's out loud? And why the fuck is there even a prayer at a military function? Correct me if I'm wrong but seeing as the military is government funded doesn't the separation of church and state apply? Isn't this the same as a teacher leading a prayer in a classroom?

In all of this there was a bit of surprisingly good news. The commander of my Flight(Air Force Term) or basically the first line of commanding officers above me was right next to me. During the prayer I of course held my head high and out of the corner of my eye I see she's looking up too as well as my first level enlisted superior Thumbsup That totally made my day seeing that I'm not alone especially at the top level.Smile

You're in the army? And your name is Mr. Krispy? Commissary or Flame thrower unit?

Anyhoo, I enjoy your posts. Glad to hear there is some sense in the top brass. Keep posting.

Doc
30-06-2014, 02:19 PM
You're in the army? And your name is Mr. Krispy? Commissary or Flame thrower unit?

Anyhoo, I enjoy your posts. Glad to hear there is some sense in the top brass. Keep posting.

Doc
[/quote]

The Air Force but it's all the same I get it lol. My name is just something random I picked out for a gamertag for xbox when I was in high school(Don't ask why I have no clue).
30-06-2014, 05:40 PM
From about a week ago.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-Chaplains
30-06-2014, 05:50 PM
(30-06-2014 05:40 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  From about a week ago.

I remember taking a look at that thread a few days back.
30-06-2014, 05:57 PM
(30-06-2014 05:50 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  
(30-06-2014 05:40 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  From about a week ago.

I remember taking a look at that thread a few days back.

The U.S. gov. has chaplains everywhere. The Senate chaplain has a $415,000 annual budget and is paid $155,000 a year. Our tax money at work.
30-06-2014, 06:18 PM
I am an expert in Tamrielic lore. Think I can get a job representing the worshipers of the nine divines?
[+] 2 users Like Michael_Tadlock's post
30-06-2014, 06:22 PM
(30-06-2014 02:11 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  So I just got off duty and we had a Change of Command ceremony. For those who aren't military this is basically a passing of the responsibilities of a military commander.

This has driven me crazy for years. Like the taps prayer from the chaplain over the ship's 1MC (shipwide, every space intercom for you non navy types) every night underway...."Corinthians blah blah blah", how about I get on for 5 minutes and read from one of Hitchens's books? this type of BS hides under the guise of "tradition".

I always find it humorous to stand looking straight ahead as every one dutifully bows their head, and look around to see who else is looking around, and surprise surprise, last week during a fellow officer's retirement ceremony, I see the CO looking around, then at me, gives me a wink and a slight nod Blink Maybe there is hope..

When I hit my 30 year retirement in 2 years, I will ensure this little bit of "tradition" is NOT in my ceremony.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
30-06-2014, 06:26 PM

This has driven me crazy for years. Like the taps prayer from the chaplain over the ship's 1MC (shipwide, every space intercom for you non navy types) every night underway...."Corinthians blah blah blah", how about I get on for 5 minutes and read from one of Hitchens's books? this type of BS hides under the guise of "tradition".

I always find it humorous to stand looking straight ahead as every one dutifully bows their head, and look around to see who else is looking around, and surprise surprise, last week during a fellow officer's retirement ceremony, I see the CO looking around, then at me, gives me a wink and a slight nod Blink

When I hit my 30 year retirement in 2 years, I will ensure this little bit of "tradition" is NOT in my ceremony.
[/quote]

Yeah I've never had to deal with it that bad on deployments. I think I would've been one to say something have to listen every flippin night.

Good to see another military member here
30-06-2014, 06:30 PM
(30-06-2014 06:18 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  I am an expert in Tamrielic lore. Think I can get a job representing the worshipers of the nine divines?

I think you mean the 8 Divines as since the White Gold Concordance Talos is no longer counted among their numbers.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post