Seriously, Aren’t Atheists Embarrassed by P.Z. Myers?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2011, 02:52 PM

Question Seriously, Aren’t Atheists Embarrassed by P.Z. Myers?
I've never heard of this man, before this article. Anyone?

[Image: logo.png]
[Image: 251px-PzMyers22.jpg]

By: Moshe Averick

One of my mentors, Rabbi Yaakov Weinberg, (of blessed memory), made the following, rather sobering, observation about human nature: “Nobody ever allowed something as trivial as facts and logic to interfere with their agenda. If the facts and logic don’t fit, then the facts and logic will just have to fend for themselves.” Nowhere do we find more glaring examples of the human predilection for intellectual corruption than when we examine the writings and lectures of an ideologue who is driven, not by a burning desire for truth, but by a burning desire to further his or her own agenda. (Full Article)

The author's Rabbi of blessed memory presents an interesting observation. I wonder if he would apply those words as this atheist does, when thinking of Jews for Jesus? Tongue
Quote this message in a reply
29-05-2011, 03:18 PM
RE: Seriously, Aren’t Atheists Embarrassed by P.Z. Myers?
Strange how so few atheists have heard of him, and yet so many theists bring him up. I think it's an atheist person made up in christian forums for them to make fun of.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-05-2011, 03:36 PM

How could I be embarrassed when I've never even heard of the guy?

I read the article and I would agree with the author that the driftwood argument is poor (false equivalence), but the author is equally foolish in - as is typical with theists - claiming his position is correct because Dr. Myers used a poor argument.

Scientists need to stop using analogies. They are always flawed in some fashion.
29-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Well , the accusations are by a third part source. I need to see the actual presentation and what the man actually said.
I don't know him that well , so I'm curios as to what he has to say.

Let's all watch what he actually said then decide.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
29-05-2011, 04:11 PM

Myers' answer about the article
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011/...y_a_ma.php
29-05-2011, 04:25 PM
OK - I breezed through the vid and so the "infamous" driftwood quote.
I can safely say this critical article is pulled straight from somebody's ass.
PZ Meyers attacks the complexity argument to show how absurd ID is and exposes their misquotations and how complexity arises in both natural and artificial environments.

And to answer , I'm not embarrassed by Myers , he may be a bit dry and come across as arrogant but so what ?

Oh , and here's how Dr Coyne replied :
http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/...roves-god/

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
29-05-2011, 05:10 PM

I attended this convention last year and heard him talk there. Seemed like an OK bloke.

Here's a video presentation he gave at the Atheist Convention.

Also, here's another good one From Skepticon III

29-05-2011, 05:15 PM

(29-05-2011 04:11 PM)mark Wrote:  Myers' answer about the article
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011/...y_a_ma.php

After reading that article, his argument makes a lot more sense. I guess I give people (the Rabbi, in this case) too much credit in assuming that they will quote people accurately. I need to stop projecting my own sense ethics onto others, especially creationists.
29-05-2011, 07:08 PM

I too watched this video and I agree with gaglamesh731 "...I'm not embarrassed by Myers , he may be a bit dry and come across as arrogant but so what?" Big Grin