Seriously Considering Cat Adoption

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2017, 06:48 AM
RE: Seriously Considering Cat Adoption
(02-03-2017 06:36 AM)mustardseed Wrote:  My husband and I have had 5 cats over the span of 30 years. Our last one recently "left for college" a few months ago so now we are empty nesters. It's been a nice break from the litter, cat hair etc. We definitely miss having them though. Two out of the 5 were females and even though they were fixed they sprayed. It was very frustrating! I will not get a female next time.

That's not a gender-specific thing. The only cat I had who sprayed was a neurotic tom.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
02-03-2017, 07:22 AM
My cat's a rescue too. He's the sweetest thing ever. If it was me in your situation, the only concern I would have is if they started enforcing the ban on cats where you live. If you would be able to easily move to another place that allows cats, then no worries. But if moving would be difficult for some reason, then you'd have to rehome your cat. I've had this happen to friends and was hard on both them and the cat because they bonded with eachother. Just something to think about.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
02-03-2017, 08:21 AM
If you really need a cat fix and can't keep one at home consider being a Cat Amuser at your local shelter. You get to meet all the cats and make their life a bit better in the process. You might notice something that the staff missed as well, something they need to know. Cool
[+] 3 users Like Gawdzilla's post
02-03-2017, 08:34 AM
(02-03-2017 05:53 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  It sits on top of the microwave and watches me cook lunch and eats raw spaghetti pasta I give it.

Given a chance it'll eat you too.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-03-2017, 10:57 AM
If you're at all unsure or concerned about the no-cats rule you can consider fostering. Many rescue groups use volunteer foster homes and will cover medical costs and maybe even food costs. If nothing else you can do that to try out different cats until you find one you decide to keep. You'd have to commit to bringing the cat to adoption events.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
02-03-2017, 11:07 AM
RE: Seriously Considering Lobotomy
Fuck cats. Somehow, the cats locked out the TV remote. We got a new battery, that didn't work, ordered a new remote... then noticed the buttons on the TV didn't work... so we unplugged it for ten minutes to reset it. And it got fixed, but...

Ancillary costs? A story like this once per week. Fur and vomit and dead animal parts. Running in between your feet while you're walking. Mewing at the door to go out, clawing under the door to come in.

Three sets of shots, neutering, flea drops... they ain't cheap.

And they suck.

And they hate you.

living word
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
02-03-2017, 11:32 AM
That's a good idea EK, and I agree with you- you should adopt a dog! Big Grin

J/K, I love cats, too. Though I haven't had one in the house in many years. My wife and I only have dogs, and since we have a dog door for the pups to get out to the yard, a cat would have free access to the outside world. And I just don't like the idea of having a cat roam the neighborhood- could get eaten by a gator or an eagle, or could bring in nasty critters into our bed. Eugh.

But I do miss having them around. They are fucking assholes though. But having a pet that you can love is good for your health, and I think you should do it.

But yeah- cost is an issue. Keeping up with shots and healthcare can get expensive. A couple of our pups are pretty old now, and are on daily medications. We have 2 yorkies and a jack russel. The jack is getting on in age, suffers from joint pain, and the older yorkie has heart problems for which she needs 3 medications twice daily. It gets expensive. But it's worth it.

We had dogs growing up, and I'm ashamed of the way my dad treated them. And I was part of it because I didn't object or take better care of them myself. I'll never let another animal live a bad life in my home if I can help it. I want my dogs to live a long and happy and loving life.

Do the same for your new kitty and you won't go wrong.
02-03-2017, 11:35 AM
(02-03-2017 08:34 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-03-2017 05:53 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  It sits on top of the microwave and watches me cook lunch and eats raw spaghetti pasta I give it.

Given a chance it'll eat you too.

Yabut, only after you're dead.
And even then, they wait about three days so you've putrified enough for them to be able to properly dig into your flesh. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
02-03-2017, 11:49 AM
(02-03-2017 11:07 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Fuck cats. Somehow, the cats locked out the TV remote. We got a new battery, that didn't work, ordered a new remote... then noticed the buttons on the TV didn't work... so we unplugged it for ten minutes to reset it. And it got fixed, but...

Ancillary costs? A story like this once per week. Fur and vomit and dead animal parts. Running in between your feet while you're walking. Mewing at the door to go out, clawing under the door to come in.

Three sets of shots, neutering, flea drops... they ain't cheap.

And they suck.

And they hate you.
You sound thoroughly pussy whipped. Drinking Beverage
[+] 3 users Like Gawdzilla's post
02-03-2017, 01:31 PM
Good luck EK if you go that way. I doubt we'll ever have another pet. I'm mixed on that.

Someone taped up a lost cat sign on our front door recently. I feel bad, seems the kitty was well loved.

I don't understand why people let their cats out in this area. We've got a den of several coyotes with kits.

Many of the cats also in our area are just not afraid of or raised with dogs much like the missing cat, so they feel no urge to hide from the coyotes.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces