Seriously Considering Cat Adoption

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2017, 08:14 PM
RE: Seriously Considering Cat Adoption
(02-03-2017 08:34 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-03-2017 05:53 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  It sits on top of the microwave and watches me cook lunch and eats raw spaghetti pasta I give it.

Given a chance it'll eat you too.

Oh I know. Don't worry, my guard is up constantly around him. I'm onto his shenanigans. This is the beauty of being someone who dreams of world conquest, you can sense those that share the same dream. *shifty eyes*

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
02-03-2017, 10:04 PM
Look, just to be clear.

You don't adopt a cat.

You sign a contract with your new dominant.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
02-03-2017, 10:38 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2017 10:41 PM by RearViewMirror.)
(02-03-2017 02:03 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I love cats, and I grew up with them. But ever since I left my mother's home, I haven't had a cat. My younger brother got a cat once he and his wife moved into their own place, and now that I'm relatively comfortable and settled as well, I've been toying around with getting a cat of my own.

For background, I currently share a trailer home with my roommate. He's a good friend of mine, practically family at this point. Technically we're not allowed to have cats or dogs, but I've seen cats in the windowsills of other homes in the park, so it's kind of an open secret that the ban on cats isn't really enforced (not like they're barking and bothering the neighbors, plus any damage is to our home, we just rent the plot itself). My roommate also used to share the place with people who did have a cat there, so he's had them before. I work full time night shift, so I'm at work between 11pm and 7am most nights, and i come home and enjoy my mornings and afternoons; I typically sleep between 4pm and 10pm. My roommate works full time as well, and he's usually gone by 8am, and typically home by 6pm. As far as people go, we practically have all day coverage; there is little time when both of us are not home.

So yeah, an entire home shared by two bachelors. I miss having a cat, and I'm now seriously considering getting one. The local shelter has adoptions available through the local Pet Supply Plus and Pets Mart. The going rate for a 6 month to 7 year old, completed with FVRCP vaccine, rabies, spay/neuter, flea preventative, deworming treatment and discounted wellness visit, is $55. I was looking at their listings, and I'd like to get a older, more mellow cat. I grew up with long hairs (Persians), but I don't envy brushing them and all the hair they leave everywhere, so I'm probably going to go with a short hair. Plus my brother's cats are both short hairs and I really like them.

I did spend years living with, and taking care of, the fickle bastards. I already have a plan for a cheap litter box (take a large, $20 storage tote with a lid, cut a sizable U shape out of one end to let the cat in, fill with litter and done). Keeping up with food and liter won't be an issue. But I'm curios as to practically everything else. What are the other ancillary costs of owning a cat? How often are visits to the vet needed/expected, and what do they typically run? Anything else I should be particularly worried about when it comes to picking a cat outside of the obvious (e.g. flat faced cats and dogs are prone to nasal complications)? Tips for acclimating a new cat? What should I look out for to make my place more cat friendly? Tips for scratching posts and the like (my brother's cats really like that Scratch Lounge glorified cardboard box).

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

^ His cats fucking love this thing. ^

You know it's weird. I never wanted a cat, dog, hamster, goldfish, etc... I just never had a desire for an animal living in the house. When I was a kid my mother HAD to have a dog at all times. She's a huge animal lover so when I moved out at 17 I swore I'd never have an animal especially a cat since they are usually so independent that you pet / play with them when they want you to. Broad generalization I realize.

About three years ago my wife asked me if we could get a cat for my daughter? My daughter was 8 at the time. I wasn't too keen on the idea but relented and we got Sam. Sam was 3 years old at the time and was being kept by one of my wife's coworkers mother who was elderly and just couldn't take care of him anymore. So her coworker brought him over to our house and he became ours. After a few days of getting accustomed to his new home and environment he really started showing his personality.

Long story short I fell in love with this cat. He's the most "dog like" cat I've ever seen. Sam just want's to be in the same room as you and will follow you around the house whenever one of us gets up. He very rarely makes a sound (unless he's snoring lol). Very seldom does he even meow. He's just a really cool cat. I've never been attached to an animal in my life but I told my wife that I'll actually be extremely sad when Sam passes on.

I didn't go through the entire thread and I'm sure some good advice has been given. Cat's generally take care of themselves as far as around the house goes. Food, water, and clean litter and that's about it when it comes to taking care of the essentials. If your cat likes attention then playing with them obviously. In our case all Sam wants is to be next to you and for one of us to just pet him. We take him to the Vet once a year for his check up unless he's sick. He's only been sick once since we've had him with a bladder infection.

So as far as pets go, a cat is probably is one of the easier one's to take care of assuming they aren't destructive. I hope you find one that fits your personality. I was sorely mistaken by not wanting a cat. I couldn't have asked for a better one than Sam.

[Image: 19888490-9678-42F7-967A-2175A6ACB6AA_zpstvc1xycu.jpg]

"You can play your game as soon as I'm done sleeping"

[Image: 20140811_104019_zps4a5512e4.jpeg]

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 1 user Likes RearViewMirror's post
03-03-2017, 02:14 AM
(02-03-2017 05:53 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Defiantly got for it man, they're not that hard to keep alive. Though, if you can get away with defiantly get a dog over a cat.

Why the aggression? No need for defiance. Consider

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.