Seriously, this IS the 21st century right?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2016, 03:56 AM
Seriously, this IS the 21st century right?
A few days ago, I came home and my wife was fuming angry (not at me thankfully).

One of her best friends is married to a man that was diagnosed with prostate cancer (a few months ago). He's had surgery & treatment and his prognosis is good, but there have been a few complications.

BTW He is a Catholic, my wife is a Catholic, her friend is a "Catholic".

Anyway to make a long story short(er) my wife was angry that her friend was sending money "home" to the Philippines so that a "voodoo" doctor could cure her husband of his ailment and she is crediting the voodoo doctor with her husband's recovery!(not the MEDICAL doctors that actually did the surgery and postop treatments etc...)

In an aside: The voodoo doctor also told her that her husband was being cursed by her brother and sister because he says "they think when he dies they will get some of his money". So now she has cut off communication with them also

And we are talking serious money, her first payment to the voodoo "doctor" asked for $2000CAD and for the last two months she's sent about $700 a month! $700CAD is about $25000 Philippine Pesos, The average monthly salary in the Philippines for a doctor with an ACTUAL medical degree is about $12000 pesos! (I looked it up, because for a second, I thought maybe we could at least convince her she is paying too much! Gasp Hobo ).

My wife told her friend "you throw your money away if you want but if I find out that you are not bringing your husband to treatments because the voodoo doctor told you not to, I will call the police."

My wife said that her friend is even more religious then her Undecided so I suggested that she remind her friend that using "dark magic" might imperil the immortal souls of not just her but also her husband. My thinking is that if her friend is that far down the "rabbit hole" that our target is not sanity but just "less crazy".

So...I (an atheist) told my wife, to tell her friend she should seek the council of her priest. Blink Assuming that his "authority" might have some sway over her.

Anyone have a better idea... ?

A friend in the hole
"I'll be back when I want it...not when I need it." - Hawkeye
"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post
23-05-2016, 04:05 AM
RE: Seriously, this IS the 21st century right?
People will cling especially tight to their own personal crazy when times are very tough. I don't think there's much else you can do. I liked the idea about having her to speak to a priest because I don't think Catholics like voodoo magic much. Hopefully she won't have her family too deep in the pit of debt by the time her husband is better enough to take over the finances.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
23-05-2016, 04:16 AM
People will seek out all sorts of weird and dreadful "cures" when confronted by serious medical conditions. They'll even turn to prayer as the "cure".

I think your advice is probably sensible. Hopefully the priest will have enough sense to tell her to trust in medical science rather than in an even more bonkers belief than Catholicism.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
23-05-2016, 05:12 AM
(23-05-2016 04:16 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  People will seek out all sorts of weird and dreadful "cures" when confronted by serious medical conditions. They'll even turn to prayer as the "cure".

Even my wife was surprised because she has known her friend for a few years and until now she didn't remember her friend mentioning "voodoo"

A friend in the hole
"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
23-05-2016, 05:24 AM
is the husband aware she is doing this?
23-05-2016, 05:59 AM
I think I will tell my wife that we should go to church with her friend and her husband, for what ever mass, and (before or after) I will talk to the priest. tell them who/what I am and why I am here, an d what the problem is.

A friend in the hole
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post
23-05-2016, 06:02 AM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2016 06:14 AM by unsapien.)
(23-05-2016 05:24 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  is the husband aware she is doing this?

Yes, and he is thankful that my wife has interceded.
And though he is wealthy, his is not rich, and I don't think his wife understands the difference.

A friend in the hole
23-05-2016, 06:05 AM
(23-05-2016 03:56 AM)unsapien Wrote:  A few days ago, I came home and my wife was fuming angry (not at me thankfully).

One of her best friends is married to a man that was diagnosed with prostate cancer (a few months ago). He's had surgery & treatment and his prognosis is good, but there have been a few complications.

BTW He is a Catholic, my wife is a Catholic, her friend is a "Catholic".

Anyway to make a long story short(er) my wife was angry that her friend was sending money "home" to the Philippines so that a "voodoo" doctor could cure her husband of his ailment and she is crediting the voodoo doctor with her husband's recovery!(not the MEDICAL doctors that actually did the surgery and postop treatments etc...)

In an aside: The voodoo doctor also told her that her husband was being cursed by her brother and sister because he says "they think when he dies they will get some of his money". So now she has cut off communication with them also

And we are talking serious money, her first payment to the voodoo "doctor" asked for $2000CAD and for the last two months she's sent about $700 a month! $700CAD is about $25000 Philippine Pesos, The average monthly salary in the Philippines for a doctor with an ACTUAL medical degree is about $12000 pesos! (I looked it up, because for a second, I thought maybe we could at least convince her she is paying too much! Gasp Hobo ).

My wife told her friend "you throw your money away if you want but if I find out that you are not bringing your husband to treatments because the voodoo doctor told you not to, I will call the police."

My wife said that her friend is even more religious then her Undecided so I suggested that she remind her friend that using "dark magic" might imperil the immortal souls of not just her but also her husband. My thinking is that if her friend is that far down the "rabbit hole" that our target is not sanity but just "less crazy".

So...I (an atheist) told my wife, to tell her friend she should seek the council of her priest. Blink Assuming that his "authority" might have some sway over her.

Anyone have a better idea... ?

Gasp

Lemme get this straight....

I can convince desperate people around the globe to send me lots of money if I promise them miracles?
Consider
Yeesh. No

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
23-05-2016, 06:06 AM
A cancer diagnosis can cause a great deal of fear. People often grasp for anything that they think might help. I am glad to hear that the person mentioned did go with traditional medicine and the prognosis is good. What the wife is doing is a waste of money, time, and energy that should be going toward actual healing. Going the voodoo route is probably a way for her to feel like she is doing everything possible to fight the cancer.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
23-05-2016, 07:01 AM
if the husband is ok with it then id say its on him. let them have their delusions. why do you think that this is your problem? outside of explaining that its bullshit i dont see what else you could do.