Seriously, this IS the 21st century right?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2016, 11:11 AM
RE: Seriously, this IS the 21st century right?
(23-05-2016 05:59 AM)unsapien Wrote:  I think I will tell my wife that we should go to church with her friend and her husband, for what ever mass, and (before or after) I will talk to the priest. tell them who/what I am and why I am here, an d what the problem is.

That should at least make the priest sit up and take notice. It might be more effective if you can contact the priest prior to mass rather than attending church. You attending church will almost certainly raise suspicions and hackles before the priest can get a chance to have a word with her.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-05-2016, 12:24 PM
Have the priest sprinkle some "holy water" on the husband. It's the same thing as voodoo and it's (mostly) free.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
23-05-2016, 01:11 PM
(23-05-2016 04:16 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  People will seek out all sorts of weird and dreadful "cures" when confronted by serious medical conditions. They'll even turn to prayer as the "cure".
Ever pay attention to the ads for the Cancer Treatment Centers of America? They offer conventional cancer treatment combined with, apparently, every possible "alternative" method: acupuncture, naturopathy, etc. I'm not sure how I feel about them. On one hand, there's all the woo. OTOH, the conventional treatment seems to be primary, and the alternative only "supportive." I believe they're a for - profit outfit, which I don't particularly mind, so long as they don't endanger anyone. Their in-house statistics appear to indicate an appreciably greater rate of survival than the national average (big surprise).

Oh crap!
23-05-2016, 03:12 PM
(23-05-2016 03:56 AM)unsapien Wrote:  So...I (an atheist) told my wife, to tell her friend she should seek the council of her priest. Blink Assuming that his "authority" might have some sway over her.
Well, I'm a moral nihilist, and even I think that is a good idea.
23-05-2016, 05:27 PM
(23-05-2016 06:05 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 03:56 AM)unsapien Wrote:  A few days ago, I came home and my wife was fuming angry (not at me thankfully).

One of her best friends is married to a man that was diagnosed with prostate cancer (a few months ago). He's had surgery & treatment and his prognosis is good, but there have been a few complications.

BTW He is a Catholic, my wife is a Catholic, her friend is a "Catholic".

Anyway to make a long story short(er) my wife was angry that her friend was sending money "home" to the Philippines so that a "voodoo" doctor could cure her husband of his ailment and she is crediting the voodoo doctor with her husband's recovery!(not the MEDICAL doctors that actually did the surgery and postop treatments etc...)

In an aside: The voodoo doctor also told her that her husband was being cursed by her brother and sister because he says "they think when he dies they will get some of his money". So now she has cut off communication with them also

And we are talking serious money, her first payment to the voodoo "doctor" asked for $2000CAD and for the last two months she's sent about $700 a month! $700CAD is about $25000 Philippine Pesos, The average monthly salary in the Philippines for a doctor with an ACTUAL medical degree is about $12000 pesos! (I looked it up, because for a second, I thought maybe we could at least convince her she is paying too much! Gasp Hobo ).

My wife told her friend "you throw your money away if you want but if I find out that you are not bringing your husband to treatments because the voodoo doctor told you not to, I will call the police."

My wife said that her friend is even more religious then her Undecided so I suggested that she remind her friend that using "dark magic" might imperil the immortal souls of not just her but also her husband. My thinking is that if her friend is that far down the "rabbit hole" that our target is not sanity but just "less crazy".

So...I (an atheist) told my wife, to tell her friend she should seek the council of her priest. Blink Assuming that his "authority" might have some sway over her.

Anyone have a better idea... ?

Gasp

Lemme get this straight....

I can convince desperate people around the globe to send me lots of money if I promise them miracles?
Consider
Yeesh. No
Even a cure for diabetes if you could charge just $39.95 and get 10,000 victims. Lotsa bucks! I get these emails promising that for that figure they can cure my diabetes, 2 or 3 a week. Don't know where the diabetes witch doctors got my name, but I haven't gotten a letter from a millionaire orphan in Nigeria for months as I used to but now it is the cures for diabetes. One about 2 years ago I almost fell for. $40? Why not, I pay out more for a meal than that lots of times, but as I got to the page where I was supposed to put in my card info they made a mistake and said they would include absolutely free a cook book with diabetes recipes. Now if I am going to be diabetes free in 2 to 3 weeks what would I need with a diabetes recipe book? That is what saved me that $40.00.
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
23-05-2016, 06:09 PM
Quote:BTW He is a Catholic, my wife is a Catholic, her friend is a "Catholic".

Anyway to make a long story short(er) my wife was angry that her friend was sending money "home" to the Philippines so that a "voodoo" doctor could cure her husband of his ailment and she is crediting the voodoo doctor with her husband's recovery!(not the MEDICAL doctors that actually did the surgery and postop treatments etc...)

If someone is stupid enough to believe in catholicism they are certainly stupid enough to believe in voodoo.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
23-05-2016, 06:51 PM
I'm glad your wife told the husband.

Smile

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

24-05-2016, 05:27 AM
(23-05-2016 11:11 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 05:59 AM)unsapien Wrote:  I think I will tell my wife that we should go to church with her friend and her husband, for what ever mass, and (before or after) I will talk to the priest. tell them who/what I am and why I am here, an d what the problem is.

That should at least make the priest sit up and take notice. It might be more effective if you can contact the priest prior to mass rather than attending church. You attending church will almost certainly raise suspicions and hackles before the priest can get a chance to have a word with her.

Apparently my wife agrees with you, she told me that she is worried I might say something that would embarrass her. She said that she will go church with her friend for the next couple of Sundays and remind her that the church frowns on "black magic".

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard