Seriously... why can I not spell it?!?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-08-2014, 08:56 AM
Seriously... why can I not spell it?!?
This is more like a random shower thought, tbh, but "atheist" seems to be one of the words that I always misspell the first time I write/type it out. I always end up switching the "e" and "i" around somehow. It's definitely an annoyance.

Perhaps it's god's way of trying to convert me again... hahaha.

And yet another interesting topic I am not interested in.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes AmishLatinJew's post
07-08-2014, 10:19 AM
RE: Seriously... why can I not spell it?!?
Well in many other languages "i" makes the "ee" sound, and a single "e" does not. Are you an ESL person?

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
07-08-2014, 01:35 PM
Re: Seriously... why can I not spell it?!?
I would blame the grammar school programming of false spelling lessons like I before E except after C. . . Yet there's a whole lot of other exceptions especially with words from other languages, which English is full of.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
07-08-2014, 01:48 PM
(07-08-2014 08:56 AM)AmishLatinJew Wrote:  This is more like a random shower thought, tbh, but "atheist" seems to be one of the words that I always misspell the first time I write/type it out. I always end up switching the "e" and "i" around somehow. It's definitely an annoyance.

I am, without a doubt, the WORST speller on the planet. The only way I'm able to communicate on the internet is with spell check. I spell everything the way it sounds and the English language doesn't work like that. I've worked very hard to learn the rules of spelling but it's useless. Both my parents were excellent spellers so I don't know what happened to me.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
07-08-2014, 02:16 PM
(07-08-2014 08:56 AM)AmishLatinJew Wrote:  This is more like a random shower thought, tbh, but "atheist" seems to be one of the words that I always misspell the first time I write/type it out. I always end up switching the "e" and "i" around somehow. It's definitely an annoyance.

Just think of the the words "the" and "is."
08-08-2014, 10:36 AM
(07-08-2014 01:35 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I would blame the grammar school programming of false spelling lessons like I before E except after C. . . Yet there's a whole lot of other exceptions especially with words from other languages, which English is full of.

It's so bad that English even has the saying "The exception proves the rule". No, actually it proves it wrong!!
[+] 1 user Likes jockmcdock's post
08-08-2014, 10:57 AM
I transpose letters too when typing, in particular freind instead of friend....and sometimes it comes out as "fiend" Smile Never happens when I write something by hand, only typing.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
08-08-2014, 11:28 AM
I've often said my fingers can spell better than I actually can.

Weird but true, there are some words, if asked I couldn't think of how they're spelled but my fingers know if I'm at a keyboard.

As long as I don't over-think it.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

08-08-2014, 11:54 AM
There are lots of things I can not spell, but I got "it" covered no problem.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
08-08-2014, 11:57 AM
(08-08-2014 11:28 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I've often said my fingers can spell better than I actually can.

Weird but true, there are some words, if asked I couldn't think of how they're spelled but my fingers know if I'm at a keyboard.

As long as I don't over-think it.

Lol, I'm just the opposite. I very often transpose letters while typing. As soon as I see it, I know it's wrong, but my fingers insist on getting it backwards. I call it "typing dyslexia". It's much more common with certain words: "Have" comes out as "ahve", "just" comes out as "jsut", etc.