Sermons: Catholic vs. Protestant

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2015, 02:03 PM
Sermons: Catholic vs. Protestant
I Grew up Catholic and stopped going to mass around 16 but didn't really figure out I was an atheist until 31. My wife has started attending services at a non denominational church up the street a year ago and I go with her about once a month to keep her company. Never attending anything but Catholic mass I wasn't sure what to expect but I've noticed quite a few interesting differences in the sermons.

All I remember from my Catholic days were sermons based on God's love for humanity and Jesus' sacrifice, yada yada. Pretty much everything was positive messages and I really liked the 2 priests in our parish as they were very nice guys (insert priest joke here I suppose). From what I remember they never talked badly about other denominations, religions and never mentioned the word "atheist".

Attending my wife's non denominational protestant church is completely different experience. The lead pastor tends to go on the offensive at times taking on biblical critics and cracking jokes about other religions, atheists and using apologetics as well.

Is this pretty typical or was my Catholic experience unique? Did your priests/pastors tend to talk badly about others or did they stick to the positive messages? Just curious as I'm not really a fan of this pastor's style. By the way he just wrote a book on near death experiences so this is the type of evangelical I'm dealing with.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-09-2015, 02:15 PM
RE: Sermons: Catholic vs. Protestant
Grew up Protestant: mostly sermons talking about hell and how everybody but Baptists was probably headed in that direction, and about how nauseating people were without god's grace. Lots of emphasis on sin, guilt, and damnation and a little lip service to love, but that was never the main subject.

The sermons were long (at least an hour). Church was six hours on Sunday and three hours on Wednesday night.

When I got to college I was amazed to find there were churches where the whole service, including the sermon, lasted an hour, tops! My roommate was Catholic and I went with her a couple of times. I attended an Episcopal church for a while (Episcopalians are kind of Catholic-lite), and the sermons described a completely different god than the one I'd grown up believing in, kind of a cool guy. Was already headed towards atheism by that time, though.
21-09-2015, 02:20 PM
I was catholic too and I never heard any attacks on other religions. It was all about your relationship with the god, at least that's what I got out of the limited amount of time I payed attention. Never brought up atheists, they don't want to admit that atheists exist I guess. How does a non-denominational priest attack other religions, isn't nondenom the "I can't make up my mind" group?

Holy shit Julep! 6 hours? Mine was 50 minutes, and I wasn't happy about going for that long. 6 hours in a church...now that is hell.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
[+] 1 user Likes Imathinker's post
21-09-2015, 02:33 PM
Grew up in very liberal church. Pastor used to say "The only thing we all agree on here is that church is at 10:30". Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
21-09-2015, 02:39 PM
(21-09-2015 02:20 PM)Imathinker Wrote:  I was catholic too and I never heard any attacks on other religions. It was all about your relationship with the god, at least that's what I got out of the limited amount of time I payed attention. Never brought up atheists, they don't want to admit that atheists exist I guess. How does a non-denominational priest attack other religions, isn't nondenom the "I can't make up my mind" group?

Holy shit Julep! 6 hours? Mine was 50 minutes, and I wasn't happy about going for that long. 6 hours in a church...now that is hell.

Six hours was split, about four hours in the morning, everybody goes home and eats and has a nap, then two hours in the early evening, usually done by 8, 8:30 PM. And if we kids were good, we got Krispy Kreme tarts on the way home from Sunday night service and got to eat them and watch Masterpiece Theater on PBS!

Krispy Kreme doesn't make the tarts anymore, I think. They were totally decadent: chocolate frosted glazed donuts with a tower of stiff, sugary whipped cream a couple of inches high, and then a cherry on top…mmmm….I have gained a pound just remembering these, need to get on the treadmill right now.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
21-09-2015, 02:49 PM
(21-09-2015 02:20 PM)Imathinker Wrote:  6 hours in a church...now that is hell.

What's funny is that the way most Christians describe Heaven, it basically sounds like being in church forever. I could never figure out why they see that as desirable.
21-09-2015, 03:19 PM (This post was last modified: 22-09-2015 08:48 AM by devilsadvoc8.)
I attended in 2 different episcopal churches as a youth. While it was a long time ago and I was young, I don't remember any bashing of other religions and the message was positive as far as I can recall. The clergy were very positive and friendly, no guilt or threats.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
21-09-2015, 03:39 PM
(21-09-2015 02:15 PM)julep Wrote:  Grew up Protestant: mostly sermons talking about hell and how everybody but Baptists was probably headed in that direction, and about how nauseating people were without god's grace. Lots of emphasis on sin, guilt, and damnation and a little lip service to love, but that was never the main subject.

The sermons were long (at least an hour). Church was six hours on Sunday and three hours on Wednesday night.

When I got to college I was amazed to find there were churches where the whole service, including the sermon, lasted an hour, tops! My roommate was Catholic and I went with her a couple of times. I attended an Episcopal church for a while (Episcopalians are kind of Catholic-lite), and the sermons described a completely different god than the one I'd grown up believing in, kind of a cool guy. Was already headed towards atheism by that time, though.

Julep,
What denomination did you grow up in?
Doc
21-09-2015, 03:45 PM
(21-09-2015 02:33 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Grew up in very liberal church. Pastor used to say "The only thing we all agree on here is that church is at 10:30". Tongue

And even then, I bet a few people showed up late.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
21-09-2015, 03:55 PM
(21-09-2015 03:39 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(21-09-2015 02:15 PM)julep Wrote:  Grew up Protestant: mostly sermons talking about hell and how everybody but Baptists was probably headed in that direction, and about how nauseating people were without god's grace. Lots of emphasis on sin, guilt, and damnation and a little lip service to love, but that was never the main subject.

Julep,
What denomination did you grow up in?
Doc

Southern Baptist, although for a while my father started his own church that didn't have a formal denomination. I liked that, because our house was the church and we didn't have to dress up on Sundays. But the church didn't attract enough members, and then we went back to Baptist.