Sermons: Catholic vs. Protestant

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2015, 04:33 PM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2015 05:49 PM by Rkane819.)
RE: Sermons: Catholic vs. Protestant
(21-09-2015 02:20 PM)Imathinker Wrote:  How does a non-denominational priest attack other religions, isn't nondenom the "I can't make up my mind" group

He will make cracks about The pope occasionally or make interesting references to speaking in tongues. He does apologetics as well defending Christianity as true and stating things about Islam and Hinduism that he thinks proves them false. That kind of stuff.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-09-2015, 09:27 PM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2015 09:31 PM by Hypatia.)
Silly boy---Catholic priests don't have time to attack other denominations because THEY ARE TOO FUCKING BUSY ATTACKING MINOR CHILDREN.

This is the Information Age---there is NO RATIONAL EXCUSE FOR TAX SUBSIDIZED SODOMY.

WILLFULLY IGNORANT CATHOLICS OFFICIALLY MAKE ME SICK---I EXCOMMUNICATED THE LAST ONE FROM MY LIFE THIS WEEK AND IT FEELS LIKE I CUT OUT A HUGE, WEEPING TUMOR.

NEVER.

FELT.

BETTER.

Respectfully, why are you comparing rotten apples to rotten oranges?

Spend your goddamned Sundays making the world a better place by NOT FUNDING EVIL WITH 10% ***MORE***of your limited INCOME ---INCOME THEY HAVE ALREADY STOLEN FROM YOU IN THE FORM OF TAX SUBSIDIES.

Ask better questions. You will get better answers.

REASON >> TRUTH >> HAPPINESS
21-09-2015, 09:29 PM
(21-09-2015 03:45 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(21-09-2015 02:33 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Grew up in very liberal church. Pastor used to say "The only thing we all agree on here is that church is at 10:30". Tongue

And even then, I bet a few people showed up late.

And drunk. Lots of drunk ones. Rolleyes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
21-09-2015, 09:34 PM
(21-09-2015 02:03 PM)Rkane819 Wrote:  Is this pretty typical or was my Catholic experience unique?
In my Church(LDS) I hear only good things about non LDS people whether believers or atheists.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
21-09-2015, 10:31 PM
My Catholic youth is recalled similarly to what others, including the author of this thread, have already posted. It wasn't until I attended my friends Baptist church that I understood all of the Baptist stereotypes I had heard from "peers" (usually 1st Baptist church talking about the 2nd Baptist church across the street). Now I watch, for education of my most likely opponent(s) & a certain amount of masochism, Baptist sermons online, & experience the whole negative emotional array every time. It is a heavy dose of what the fuck. Hobo
[+] 1 user Likes 7R0MM3L's post
21-09-2015, 10:35 PM
(21-09-2015 09:34 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(21-09-2015 02:03 PM)Rkane819 Wrote:  Is this pretty typical or was my Catholic experience unique?
In my Church(LDS) I hear only good things about non LDS people whether believers or atheists.

Well that must be nice. I went to a few (early as fuck) youth groups with an LDS friend in high school, & that was not the case there. They never said anything directly derogatory, but their determining people such as myself were doomed for not believing as they did was insulting enough.
[+] 1 user Likes 7R0MM3L's post
22-09-2015, 02:23 AM
Strictly speaking, no sermon, in any denominational sect, should be anything more than a straight reading of chapters in the bible. The moment a preacher says anything else, it's an admission that how god said it isn't adequate and that the preacher can say it better. God didn't do it right and a person has to restate it. God screwed up.

Some preachers may argue that they're expressing ideas not found in the bible, to which the obvious question is why did god omit saying anything about that idea if it is an important idea? Many preachers insist the bible is the only book anyone needs; any ideas not mentioned therein aren't worth mention.

Moreover, any words spoken outside of straight recitation of biblical passages lack authority. There is no basis for gauging the veracity of what a preacher says if what he says isn't found word for word in the bible. A preacher taking the liberty of paraphrasing what god said because god didn't say it best in the first place, or taking the liberty of pontificating ideas god never mentioned has the liberty of saying just anything!

The risks of such liberty are incalculable - it could lead to the fragmenting of the one true sect into multiple sects, putting unwitting parishioners in danger of winding up in the wrong place after their funeral.

If god said it, that's the best way to say it. God wouldn't say it in a less than optimum manner; nothing any person could say could possibly improve on it.

Does this mean that all the trillions and trillions of sermons and speeches spoken across the centuries in all the churches and written in books that weren't plain, unadorned recitations of bible passages are just valueless junk?

Believe it.
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
22-09-2015, 09:09 AM
(21-09-2015 10:35 PM)7R0MM3L Wrote:  [quote='Alla' pid='860860' dateline='1442892845']
They never said anything directly derogatory, but their determining people such as myself were doomed for not believing as they did was insulting enough.
"Doomed" will never happen. There is no life after death. Right?
But in this life LDS people do not say bad things about atheists and other believers.
In this life we(LDS) have TO DO GOOD to ALL people.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
22-09-2015, 09:38 AM
I grew up protestant, originally (Australian) Baptist then Church or Christ, then Christian and Missionary Alliance. Sermons in all were generally fairly focused on studying the Bible. Or at least, on going through various books and the Pastor telling us what he thought he got out of them to tell us. "Home groups" were also highly encouraged, where people would typically go through various books of the Bible one at a time and do some deeply intensive reading / reading-into of its contents with a focus on "what we have learned" "how can we apply this to our lives" etc.

Knowledge of the Bible was always encouraged, but always in somewhat of a group-think kind of way. Everyone should be falling over themselves to find something of value, and those who found nothing would be embarrassed into finding something next time. Troubling passages and ideas are relatively easy to skip over in that environment.

Individual study and reading was also encouraged but generally with the aid of a study guide to tell you what to think about various passages Wink

Although the study is deeper in protestant churches the thought control is also deeper to make up for it. You wouldn't want your church family to think you're not 100% on board with them. Would you?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
22-09-2015, 08:31 PM
(22-09-2015 09:38 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Individual study and reading was also encouraged but generally with the aid of a study guide to tell you what to think about various passages.

This is something that's always bothered me. Whenever I mentioned I was going to read the bible someone would almost always suggest a study guide to use. I always found this notion confusing. If this was supposedly the perfect word why do I need a guide? Why can't i just read it? Why do I seemingly need a minor in hermeneutics to fully comprehend what I'm reading? Why is it if I come to a different conclusion than others that I'm not trying hard enough or thinking too much? This concept always irritated me.