Service Animals?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2017, 03:33 PM
Service Animals?
Strangest thing happened to me in walmart. I was at the self check out, and I saw a dog. It was a small dog, about up to my cafe. Looking around the area at everyone, in the child basket on a pink Disney like blanket.

The dog had a vest on, not like the chest to mid stomach vest, but a black, looked to be harness that keeps the dog from getting off leash, a blue collar witha yellow name on it. I looked it over, checking to see if it was an important dog, no patch on it.

I tapped the man ont he shoulder and asked 'Does your dog bite?" I wanted to pet it, looked like an animal.

He said, "Nah, she don't bite," I went over and hearing him mutter "Service animal can't be petted." I had only let her sniff my hand.

"Huh?" I asked confused, (At least I look like a naive teen, rather than a half deaf adult.)

He didn't stop me or anything or yell at me, just watched then said again, "Service animal can't be petted."

Two things came to mind when I said sorry to him and left. One: Why didn't he stop my hand or anything, if it was a service dog, normally owners stop kids or teens form petting it.
Two: I thought service dogs walked beside the owner on a leash and watched their owners? Not in a blanket watching everyone else.

I asked my mom about it, as we were out and she just said they can't be petted on work. Well the dog wasn't on work duty from my understanding, it was in a basket on a blanket.

I was a bit embarrassed, as normally when you ask 'Does you dog bite' that means you want to pet it. But I didn't know it was a 'service animal' as their was no patch on the vest nor was it even remotely close to acting like a service animal.

I can only guess, by a good 90%, it wasn't a service dog just some redneck family who wanted their dog. The man and women, and their older son wasn't mad when I did that. I said 'I'm sorry I just like animals." the women and son just smiled and chuckled, all was fine, the man said nothing. (I have a feeling I almost blew their cover.)

Why do people do that, bring in their dogs and pretend they are service animals?

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2017, 03:35 PM
RE: Service Animals?
No, I guess I'm slowing down. Barely have the energy to service my wife lately. Wait, better check the OP ..

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 3 users Like whateverist's post
03-08-2017, 03:39 PM
There are people who cheat, but there are real service dogs of all sizes and descriptions with a big variety of duties, from helping the blind or deaf to alerting to impending seizures to providing support when someone has a PTSD attack to lessening anxiety attacks.

There is no way for you to tell, you are supposed not to ask because people are not happy disclosing their issues in public, but the dogs have certifications and the store can ask to see those. The store is also not allowed to ask what exactly the dog does, the certification is all the information given.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
03-08-2017, 03:40 PM
Some dogs are trained to detect and alert their owners about things like seizures or drops in blood sugar. Some are there for mental/emotional reasons. So it may not be obvious what they're there for. Maybe it was one of those?

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 4 users Like Loom's post
03-08-2017, 03:41 PM
(03-08-2017 03:33 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  Why do people do that, bring in their dogs and pretend they are service animals?

Around where I live it seems almost everyone does it. The other day I was waiting outside the drug store for my wife to pick up her meds when someone who worked there walked by and told me all dogs are 'service dogs' now. I guess people do it because they want to be with their pet. I don't do it because it seems like it ought to be just for dogs that are actually needed by someone.

But the guy definitely set you up to feel embarrassed. Not exactly friendly .. unless he knows you and is ribbing you.

03-08-2017, 03:47 PM
(03-08-2017 03:41 PM)whateverist Wrote:  
(03-08-2017 03:33 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  Why do people do that, bring in their dogs and pretend they are service animals?

Around where I live it seems almost everyone does it. The other day I was waiting outside the drug store for my wife to pick up her meds when someone who worked there walked by and told me all dogs are 'service dogs' now. I guess people do it because they want to be with their pet. I don't do it because it seems like it ought to be just for dogs that are actually needed by someone.

But the guy definitely set you up to feel embarrassed. Not exactly friendly .. unless he knows you and is ribbing you.

I don't know him, I just like seeing animals. But the reason I thought it wasn't a service dog was it was in the child basket with a blanket of all things.
So yeah, I think he set me up.

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
[+] 1 user Likes Ruby Crystal's post
03-08-2017, 04:01 PM
You'd be welcome to say hello to my two is we were out and about.

This is my youngest dog, Smoke, from about a year ago when he as still a young pup. He'd make a great service dog, he is all business.

[Image: 34617764240_7d7b25ac1c_z.jpg]

But he wouldn't be much fun to meet because he tends to regard anyone who offered him affection with suspicion. For petting purposes you'd do better with my 8 year-old, Heidi Rose. She'll go into a trance for hours at a time for any affection offered.

[Image: 31283617740_1e318796a0_z.jpg]

He weighs 42 pounds, she is 55. He is a heeler aussie cross, she probably has at least those two breeds in her DNA.

[+] 3 users Like whateverist's post
03-08-2017, 04:07 PM

Because service animals are exempted from "no pets" regulations. And leglly speaking, employees are forbidden by US Federal law from asking for proof of an animals service pedigree.
03-08-2017, 04:14 PM
(03-08-2017 03:47 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  
(03-08-2017 03:41 PM)whateverist Wrote:  Around where I live it seems almost everyone does it. The other day I was waiting outside the drug store for my wife to pick up her meds when someone who worked there walked by and told me all dogs are 'service dogs' now. I guess people do it because they want to be with their pet. I don't do it because it seems like it ought to be just for dogs that are actually needed by someone.

I don't know him, I just like seeing animals. But the reason I thought it wasn't a service dog was it was in the child basket with a blanket of all things.

That doesn't mean anything other than the dog is small and one doesn't want anyone to trip over it. First rule for service dogs is to not be disruptive, and if one is disruptive, the store owner can throw them out.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
03-08-2017, 04:28 PM
(03-08-2017 04:14 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(03-08-2017 03:47 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  I don't know him, I just like seeing animals. But the reason I thought it wasn't a service dog was it was in the child basket with a blanket of all things.

That doesn't mean anything other than the dog is small and one doesn't want anyone to trip over it. First rule for service dogs is to not be disruptive, and if one is disruptive, the store owner can throw them out.

Don't service animals have to be by their owners side, looking only at them, walking when they do. Not pampered in a child basket?

I'm sorry to say but you argument as holes.
Service animals are not pets, thus should not be treated as pets. So the small dog in the child basket on a child blanket comes off as fishy to me. Because all service animals you see, and on website, say service animals are walking beside owner not carried in a basket or purse.

- George Carlin