Service Animals?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2017, 04:41 PM
RE: Service Animals?
(03-08-2017 04:07 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Because service animals are exempted from "no pets" regulations. And legally speaking, employees are forbidden by US Federal law from asking for proof of an animals service pedigree.

According to the US Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division, Disability Rights Section: "In situations where it is not obvious that the dog is a service animal, staff may ask only two specific questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform? Staff are not allowed to request any documentation for the dog, require that the dog demonstrate its task, or inquire about the nature of the person's disability."

We have very similar laws in Australia, with one major difference being that our assistance dogs must be professionally trained for at least two years, by other than the owner, and be registered. Also, dogs here must wear an approved, light blue-coloured vest which identifies it as a service dog when in public.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
03-08-2017, 04:56 PM
(03-08-2017 04:41 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(03-08-2017 04:07 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Because service animals are exempted from "no pets" regulations. And legally speaking, employees are forbidden by US Federal law from asking for proof of an animals service pedigree.

According to the US Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division, Disability Rights Section: "In situations where it is not obvious that the dog is a service animal, staff may ask only two specific questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform? Staff are not allowed to request any documentation for the dog, require that the dog demonstrate its task, or inquire about the nature of the person's disability."

We have very similar laws in Australia, with one major difference being that our assistance dogs must be professionally trained for at least two years, by other than the owner, and be registered. Also, dogs here must wear an approved, light blue-coloured vest which identifies it as a service dog when in public.

Most of the time, if the owner takes the animal to the same place often, they will introduce themselves first so to avoid possible conflict. Walmart probably not so much. I used to see them in Walmart all the time. And yes, they were mostly in the basket if they were small.

A tiny dog at your feet is useless for communication. You don't see it and it doesn't see you.

A lot of older people have small dogs because they are easy to handle and deal with. Larger dogs require a lot of additional training in obedience, they can't wag their tails in stores because they would wipe stuff off the shelves etc. So, if it's a job that can be done by a small dog that can be carried or put in a basket, the training is a lot faster and cheaper because it can focus only on the service.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
03-08-2017, 04:57 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2017 05:01 PM by Ruby Crystal.)

"Fake service dogs do not bark in public, are aggressive to other dogs, eat of the table in restaurants, or sit in the cart."

The user edited the video for copyright claims....

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
[+] 1 user Likes Ruby Crystal's post
03-08-2017, 04:58 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2017 05:01 PM by Ruby Crystal.)
(03-08-2017 04:56 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(03-08-2017 04:41 PM)SYZ Wrote:  According to the US Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division, Disability Rights Section: "In situations where it is not obvious that the dog is a service animal, staff may ask only two specific questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform? Staff are not allowed to request any documentation for the dog, require that the dog demonstrate its task, or inquire about the nature of the person's disability."

Most of the time, if the owner takes the animal to the same place often, they will introduce themselves first so to avoid possible conflict. Walmart probably not so much. I used to see them in Walmart all the time. And yes, they were mostly in the basket if they were small.

A tiny dog at your feet is useless for communication. You don't see it and it doesn't see you.

A lot of older people have small dogs because they are easy to handle and deal with. Larger dogs require a lot of additional training in obedience, they can't wag their tails in stores because they would wipe stuff off the shelves etc. So, if it's a job that can be done by a small dog that can be carried or put in a basket, the training is a lot faster and cheaper because it can focus only on the service.

The video given to you is a news video (With editing by user, copyright and youtube...). And it states that service dogs do not 'sit in the cart'.

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
04-08-2017, 07:24 PM
I don't really question it, these days. I don't need such a dog, so it's not something I need to worry about. But this video was interesting, and might explain some of the small dogs on busses. But indeed, some dogs are just dogs, and it's hard to enforce these things.

04-08-2017, 08:05 PM
(03-08-2017 04:01 PM)whateverist Wrote:  You'd be welcome to say hello to my two is we were out and about.

This is my youngest dog, Smoke, from about a year ago when he as still a young pup. He'd make a great service dog, he is all business.

[Image: 34617764240_7d7b25ac1c_z.jpg]

All business? Looks like he's expecting you to light up that joint in his mouth, to me. Laughat
05-08-2017, 01:02 PM
They used to breed and train these near here. I don't know if they still do or not. We used to see them every few years dressed in special boots walking around the shopping mall as part of their final training:

[Image: a1a9e190aa1f65438fd73c96d2286555.jpg]

[Image: 4674efe45c949324e3bde1de3d1ecf81.jpg]

[Image: aea496ea260b36bd288a71ed259d177e.jpg]

One advantage is that they live longer than dogs.

I met a service monkey once. That thing stank.

It is quite easy to buy a service animal vest for your dog and claim it is legit. So morally wrong, but easy.

http://dogtime.com/dog-health/general/20...nd-a-crime

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
07-08-2017, 09:48 AM
Generally, to my knowledge, a service dog in the US doesn't need to wear a service vest. The mention of the owner, that it is a service dog, is enough for it to be allowed to enter the shops etc. So all service dog rules always apply as soon as you are told it is a service dog.
And all those rules boil down to: don't interact with the dog at all, he is working.
You can never know if the dog is currently working or not because you are not the one giving the command.
The one and only thing that may tell if he dog really is a service dog is when he is barking / not calm / charging / etc. Service dogs have to be very mellow and calm - especially during work. But as calm and well behaved they are, of course they look everywhere.

That said, yes there are many people who cheat.

Generally about dogs: "Does the dog bite?" is not the same as "May I pet your dog?" because "Does your dog bite?" might just come from a general fear of dogs from your side, looking for assurance that it is safe to stand in line with it etc. If you want to pet somebody's dog, ask them directly if you may pet it.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
07-08-2017, 09:52 AM
Hard to tell at Lowes Home Improvement where I work because our store is pet friendly. I've seen pics of all kinds of animals in our stores from Dogs to Alpacas.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze