Serving up Hate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2015, 02:58 PM
Serving up Hate
http://www.aol.com/article/2015/01/20/co.../21132364/

I know this is being compared to businesses refusing to offer services to gay couples, but is making and spreading messages of hate something you have to do?

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
21-01-2015, 03:10 PM
RE: Serving up Hate
Hopefully a sane judge will get this suit and toss it out where it belongs.
I swear this country seems to get a little dumber every day.
Facepalm
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
21-01-2015, 04:35 PM
I'm not a lawyer, and therefore cannot say for sure, but depending on the message, I think in the UK anyone ordering such a cake would be arrested for breach of discrimination laws.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
21-01-2015, 05:14 PM
(21-01-2015 02:58 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  http://www.aol.com/article/2015/01/20/co.../21132364/

I know this is being compared to businesses refusing to offer services to gay couples, but is making and spreading messages of hate something you have to do?

This is the problem with poorly written laws.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

21-01-2015, 05:20 PM
(21-01-2015 05:14 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(21-01-2015 02:58 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  http://www.aol.com/article/2015/01/20/co.../21132364/

This is the problem with poorly written laws.

And fucking stupid, bigoted people. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
21-01-2015, 05:24 PM
(21-01-2015 05:20 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-01-2015 05:14 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  This is the problem with poorly written laws.

And fucking stupid, bigoted people. Drinking Beverage

Should a business be able to refuse a customer for any reason?

I agree it's a stupid thing, but still you have to know some jackass will take advantage of it.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

21-01-2015, 05:46 PM
I thought there was a clause that said businesses had the right to refuse business to anyone if they wished. I've seen the sign on a lot of businesses. This is crazy and stupid of this guy to even ask anyway. I think he went into this knowing they would refuse him.
[+] 3 users Like purpledaisies's post
21-01-2015, 08:00 PM
Oh man, I hate the "You're bigoted if you don't agree with my bigotry!" thing.

Why the hell would someone even need an anti-gay cake to begin with? Do they have parties for this type of thing?

Quote:Now many in the anti-gay community are calling Silva's decision hypocritical.

Facepalm Okay, maybe I read this wrong...but as far as I can tell, the bakery that was told it had to make cakes for gay people was not this bakery. A completely different bakery refusing to make a hateful cake is not hypocritical. Not to mention in general how the situation is different, as the gay people want the same type of cakes as anyone else, while this cake order specifically had something bad in it.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 3 users Like CleverUsername's post
21-01-2015, 11:28 PM (This post was last modified: 22-01-2015 12:59 AM by cactus.)
The anti-LGBT cake is clearly intended to harass the workers, but what about, for example, a cake with things like:
"Have a fucking awesome birthday!"
"Hey, baby it's your b-day! I want this cake all over me. Let's get dirty tonight."
"Congratulations on your son's circumcision!"
"Congratulations on your daughter's circumcision!"
"Happy 21. Let's get drunk!"
"Congratulations on moving to Colorado, let's get stoned!"
"Congratulations on your first kill!" (With a picture of a deer head)
"Congratulations, Timmy Jr.! If you finish eating this whole cake, I'll buy you your first pack of cigarettes!"
"I know you're diabetic, but since it's your birthday, let's splurge!"
"You're gay!" (Maybe it's meant to harass the cake's recipient. Maybe it's meant to harass the cake decorator. Maybe it's for a "coming out" party. Maybe it shouldn't be up to the business to interpret the customer's intent, because it's just a damn cake.)

Just like the same-sex wedding cake example, these aren't things that are intended to harass the bakery workers, but they're still things that might offend them, and they might not want the finished product associated with their business.

Like Momsurroundedbyboys said, we need more specific laws.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
22-01-2015, 01:58 PM
I tend to think that the owner of a business should decide who to deal with.
But that's probably just me...