Poll: Do you agree?
Yes, he's right, Obama just sat comfortably in the white house
No, I disagree, the Commander-in-chief is an integral part of the military
Other, please elaborate
[Show Results]

Seth Andrews on Facebook - Do you agree?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2012, 02:33 AM
Seth Andrews shared a link
August 15
"Mr. President, you did not kill Osama bin Laden, America did. The work that the American military has done killed Osama bin Laden. You did not." - Ben Smith-Navy SEAL

Well...actually...Obama did get to say the word "go." And he gave a fancy little speech about it. And now he enjoys a smooth ride on the shoulders of the U.S. intelligence community and the men and women of our armed forces.

I wonder if they realized their years of toil and sacrifice would end up as another slick campaign ad for a guy with zero military experience.

http://youtu.be/BD75KOoNR9k
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
While I do agree that this is like thanking god for healing your disease instead of the doctors, the president did have to order men into that mission that could have died. The blood would have been on his hands.
The same thing if Pakistan's reaction was any angrier, we could have had a brand new war on our hands, with a nuclear power this time.

The president coordinated the intelligence effort for his entire term, there are daily briefings and he has to steer different agencies into different directions (alfabet soup) (so they don't kill eachother).

The decision and the responsibility are completely his and if he made the wrong one than the consequences and would have been a lot worse.

And is it really so bad he's using this in his campaign?
If you see what the christian GOP is doing in campaigning against him, Obama-care, deathpanels, filibustering legislation, holding off on vetting his nominations, made up statistics, he's a muslim, where's the birthcertificate etc. etc.
It's just impossible to have a reasonable debate on the issues. The largest part of the population will just have to be pushed on the facts: Osama Bin Laden and dozens of other Al Qaeda leaders were killed during the Obama administration by solid coordination and effective strikes.
This in sharp contrast to the Bush administrations later position of "I'm not really worried about Bin Laden, he's not a priority."

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Caveman's post
22-08-2012, 05:20 AM
RE: Seth Andrews on Facebook - Do you agree?
The president is the Commander n Stuff, isn't he? God, Ben Smith, if that's your real name Dodgy, you need to be less ignorant.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
22-08-2012, 06:03 AM
No doubt if they got the wrong man and it turned out to be some innocent man it would be "President kills innocent man".

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
22-08-2012, 06:16 AM
That's always what happens. The people at the top get all the credit even if they didn't do the work.
22-08-2012, 06:21 AM
(22-08-2012 06:16 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  That's always what happens. The people at the top get all the credit even if they didn't do the work.

But he took the risk in the sense that if it wasn't Osama but someone else it would have been on him.
It's only fair that if all the risk and negative feedback is on him then the positive should be on him when things go right.

But not just him, all officers or people in power with decisions.
Like someone in charge of a few soldiers makes a decision, it's his decision and so the consequences (good and bad) are on him.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
22-08-2012, 06:53 AM
I agree. Being a navy seal he should know that due to the nature of the job they will never get the public credit for what they acheive.

The way the military works is the leaders, generals, commanders. Anyone in a position of authority get remembered, get the credit. And the people who do the dangerous stuff get forgotten. Its not a fair system but it's how it's always been. If that seal wants glory he should change careers.
22-08-2012, 07:08 AM
(22-08-2012 06:53 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  I agree. Being a navy seal he should know that due to the nature of the job they will never get the public credit for what they acheive.

The way the military works is the leaders, generals, commanders. Anyone in a position of authority get remembered, get the credit. And the people who do the dangerous stuff get forgotten. Its not a fair system but it's how it's always been. If that seal wants glory he should change careers.

I saw this "argument" from my Republican cousins very shortly after Bin Laden's death. And it annoyed me. Not because I am politically closer to the Democrats than the Republicans, but because they were missing the whole point.

The President is the Commander-in-Chief. There is a chain of command from him all the way down to the lowest ranks of the military. The Navy Seals would have done what, exactly, without that chain of command? Diddly-squat. It was a team event, requiring intelligence, monitoring, planning and (in the end) execution. And that was a deliberate pun.

It was Obama who prioritised the hunt for Bin Laden... and he did a much better job of it than Bush did. I mean, if Bin Laden had been killed at Tora Bora, the Neo-Cons would have lost ground on their argument to invade Iraq. Which had nothing whatsoever to do with 9/11.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Red Celt's post
22-08-2012, 08:45 AM
Does anyone truly believe a real Navy Seal made this statement?
Drinking Beverage

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
22-08-2012, 09:40 AM
In 1980, Carter ordered a rescue attempt for the Iranian hostages. It failed miserably. It was one of a string of failures which brought down his presidency.
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arch...le/304803/
There was a huge risk in this going wrong. If he failed, it could have brought him down. They just don't want this guy to get credit for any of this mission. The office of this so called "seal" is in a building, in an office, which has only Republican political people. What ? They thought no one would check ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
22-08-2012, 01:18 PM
Maybe you all forgot that the POTUS made the statement to business owners that they did not build the companies that they own. I think this is what the SEAL was trying to get across.