Seth aced my Turing test!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2015, 08:30 PM
Seth aced my Turing test!
Hi, y'all,

So this past Saturday Seth Andrews was in town and I got to meet him.

I'd been under the impression that atheists were soulless automatons. Either that, or they were furious at intact people like myself because we weren't suffering from that "God-shaped hole" in our hearts. Y'all know the one, right?

His podcasts sounded as though they were produced by an actual thinking and feeling human being, but I had to know for sure. Those recordings could have been heavily edited. Besides, the event was being held in a church. I had to know if Seth would be struck by lightning, or the stained glass cross would spontaneously shatter and the shards would turn him into a bloody mess.

After observing the way he interacted with people, I concluded that he passed my test. The guy sitting behind me was also talking about an atheist organization that feeds the homeless. Why would heartless machines bother with that? I hear they're especially merciless if you try to program them in C.

Seriously, I'd been taught as a Christian to associate the word "atheist" with horrible things. People like Seth have helped me overcome my irrational fear. Now I seem to have become the thing I feared.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Voyager's post
21-08-2015, 09:03 PM
RE: Seth aced my Turing test!
Welcome to TTA.

It's great to see you.

Your post is important to us ... please wait while we direct you to one of our atheist agents who will deal with your case as soon as possible.

Big Grin

[+] 7 users Like DLJ's post
21-08-2015, 09:08 PM
(21-08-2015 08:30 PM)Voyager Wrote:  Hi, y'all,

So this past Saturday Seth Andrews was in town and I got to meet him.

I'd been under the impression that atheists were soulless automatons. Either that, or they were furious at intact people like myself because we weren't suffering from that "God-shaped hole" in our hearts. Y'all know the one, right?

His podcasts sounded as though they were produced by an actual thinking and feeling human being, but I had to know for sure. Those recordings could have been heavily edited. Besides, the event was being held in a church. I had to know if Seth would be struck by lightning, or the stained glass cross would spontaneously shatter and the shards would turn him into a bloody mess.

After observing the way he interacted with people, I concluded that he passed my test. The guy sitting behind me was also talking about an atheist organization that feeds the homeless. Why would heartless machines bother with that? I hear they're especially merciless if you try to program them in C.

Seriously, I'd been taught as a Christian to associate the word "atheist" with horrible things. People like Seth have helped me overcome my irrational fear. Now I seem to have become the thing I feared.

Hello, I am the atheist agent referred by DLJ.

Welcome to the forum.

Coffee? Tea? Fried egg and Bologna sandwich?

The eating of spaghetti is forbidden here.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
[+] 4 users Like Free's post
21-08-2015, 09:12 PM
Atheists are people too??????

Your kidding?

Welcome.

By the way, which god do you believe in? Thor, Zeus? Aphrodite???? Thors's been in loads of movies lately.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
21-08-2015, 09:36 PM
Welcome!
21-08-2015, 09:39 PM
(21-08-2015 09:12 PM)Banjo Wrote:  By the way, which god do you believe in? Thor, Zeus? Aphrodite???? Thors's been in loads of movies lately.

I believe in me - God is love. Love is blind. I am blind. Therefore, I am God.
[+] 4 users Like Voyager's post
21-08-2015, 09:44 PM
(21-08-2015 09:08 PM)Free Wrote:  Welcome to the forum.

The eating of spaghetti is forbidden here.

Love it! The perfect dry humor... though it might fall a bit short if our kind-hearted new Christian friend here doesn't know who Our Lord and Savior the FSM is.

I suppose it suffices to know that noodles are for appendages, not eating. Yarr!

By the way, kind-hearted new Christian friend, welcome to TTA! Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
21-08-2015, 10:24 PM
(21-08-2015 09:12 PM)Banjo Wrote:  ...
By the way, which god do you believe in?
(21-08-2015 09:44 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  ...
our kind-hearted new Christian friend

I'm beginning to think I might have misunderstood but by my reading of the OP, "ex-christian" would be more apt, would it not?

Huh

21-08-2015, 10:38 PM
(21-08-2015 10:24 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I'm beginning to think I might have misunderstood but by my reading of the OP, "ex-christian" would be more apt, would it not?

Huh

Ah, yes, a closer reading does suggest she has given up the Christ-inanity.

I misread the "taught what to think about atheists" part, and assumed that it was just a polite Christian coming here to apologize after having actually met some of us and finding out we're not the devils portrayed by preachers.

Either version of Voyager is welcome here at TTA. Big Grin

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
21-08-2015, 10:40 PM
And if I had bothered to read her profile, her Bio would have told me that:

Quote:I grew up in a small town where just about everyone was Christian. As an adult I found myself surrounded by all kinds of beliefs and lack there of. That combined with my innate curiosity and my interest in science made for an increasingly uncomfortable life as a Christian. Thanks in part to Seth's show, I finally deconverted this summer.

My bad, Voyager! Bangin