Seth's latest blog post (Medical Care vs Praying for Healing)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2014, 01:11 PM
Seth's latest blog post (Medical Care vs Praying for Healing)
I'm new to the forum, so I thought I'd jump in with a new post (sorry that it's kind of long). I enjoyed Seth's latest blog post, and it brought to mind a question I've wondered about. Here's the scenario I've considered. Let's say you have 2 believers of mostly similar faith, and both contract the same form of cancer (or any other potentially fatal disease). Both are active in their local church, and request that members of their church pray for their recovery. One church has members that hear this and start praying, but the other has members who hear it, act concerned, but then go on with the rest of their day/week, and do not pray. Based on the way prayer is taught in evangelical churches, the person who is a member of the first church would have a better chance at healing than the one who attends the second (though they'd never talk about it that way). How could someone believe this kind of thing and believe that God is loving OR just?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dogerdog's post
08-04-2014, 01:47 PM
RE: Seth's latest blog post (Medical Care vs Praying for Healing)
(08-04-2014 01:11 PM)dogerdog Wrote:  I'm new to the forum, so I thought I'd jump in with a new post (sorry that it's kind of long). I enjoyed Seth's latest blog post, and it brought to mind a question I've wondered about. Here's the scenario I've considered. Let's say you have 2 believers of mostly similar faith, and both contract the same form of cancer (or any other potentially fatal disease). Both are active in their local church, and request that members of their church pray for their recovery. One church has members that hear this and start praying, but the other has members who hear it, act concerned, but then go on with the rest of their day/week, and do not pray. Based on the way prayer is taught in evangelical churches, the person who is a member of the first church would have a better chance at healing than the one who attends the second (though they'd never talk about it that way). How could someone believe this kind of thing and believe that God is loving OR just?

Cognitive Dissonance. That and you are taught to accept not question.

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-04-2014, 02:20 PM
(08-04-2014 01:11 PM)dogerdog Wrote:  I'm new to the forum, so I thought I'd jump in with a new post (sorry that it's kind of long). I enjoyed Seth's latest blog post, and it brought to mind a question I've wondered about. Here's the scenario I've considered. Let's say you have 2 believers of mostly similar faith, and both contract the same form of cancer (or any other potentially fatal disease). Both are active in their local church, and request that members of their church pray for their recovery. One church has members that hear this and start praying, but the other has members who hear it, act concerned, but then go on with the rest of their day/week, and do not pray. Based on the way prayer is taught in evangelical churches, the person who is a member of the first church would have a better chance at healing than the one who attends the second (though they'd never talk about it that way). How could someone believe this kind of thing and believe that God is loving OR just?
Hey there. Welcome to the forum.

I'd say it's because each religion believes that they are the one "correct" religion and, if something doesn't make obvious sense, it's because "God works in mysterious ways" or because "our human minds cannot understand his divine plan". In other words, no good reason and lots of indoctrination. Yes

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
08-04-2014, 06:42 PM

I find the "healing power of prayer" that Christians spout to be ridiculous and in many ways, offensive. You see stupid shit like this all the time: http://www.prayers-for-special-help.com/...aling.html

I find this offensive for several reasons:

1. It gives people false hope by convincing them that if they pray hard enough, they, or the one that they care about that is sick, will be healed.

2. None of these stupid televangelists or religious leaders would simply rely on prayer for healing. Every one of them would go to a hospital for any serious medical problem. The fact that some people actually do believe that praying for somebody's health is more powerful than any type of medical treatment is incredibly absurd, and anybody who encourages this line of thinking should be ashamed for trying to convince others that it's true.

3. As Impulse said, Christians are completely hypocritical about it. If the person that they are praying for recovers, they credit it to God and their praying. If the person doesn't recover, they just use their classic bullshit excuses of "the Lord works in mysterious ways" or "it wasn't in God's plan". If it's not in God's plan, then why the fuck would you even bother praying? Is God simply going to change his "divine plan" for every asshole with a prayer?

4. It implies that some people are more special in the eyes of God than others. If the person you are praying for recovers, and you credit it to God and your prayers to him, then what about all the other people that prayed who didn't get their prayers answered? By crediting God for the person you are praying for making a recovery, you are automatically insinuating that you are more special in the eyes of God than others. There are many other people who have prayed just as hard or harder than you did, yet their prayers did not get answered. God simply chose to help you and not them. I find that to be incredibly conceited.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
08-04-2014, 07:08 PM

Who's "Seth"?

08-04-2014, 09:24 PM
(08-04-2014 07:08 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  

Who's "Seth"?

Seth Andrews, the host of The Thinking Atheist podcast and the producer of all of it's video content and the writer of the blog. You know, the guy that own's this website and forum. Rolleyes

You know, this guy!

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
08-04-2014, 09:31 PM
(08-04-2014 09:24 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 07:08 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Who's "Seth"?

Seth Andrews, the host of The Thinking Atheist podcast and the producer of all of it's video content and the writer of the blog. You know, the guy that own's this website and forum. Rolleyes

You know, this guy!

Nope not ringing a bell.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
08-04-2014, 10:21 PM
(08-04-2014 09:31 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 09:24 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Seth Andrews, the host of The Thinking Atheist podcast and the producer of all of it's video content and the writer of the blog. You know, the guy that own's this website and forum. Rolleyes

You know, this guy!

Nope not ringing a bell.

[Image: not-sure-dog.jpg]

08-04-2014, 10:26 PM
(08-04-2014 09:24 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 07:08 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Who's "Seth"?

You know, this guy!

...Consider ...hmmm.......Huh ...no idea...

08-04-2014, 10:32 PM
(08-04-2014 10:26 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 09:24 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Seth Andrews, the host of The Thinking Atheist podcast and the producer of all of it's video content and the writer of the blog. You know, the guy that own's this website and forum. Rolleyes

You know, this guy!

...Consider ...hmmm.......Huh ...no idea...

[Image: not-sure-if-sarcastic-or-sincere.jpg]