Seth's latest blog post (Medical Care vs Praying for Healing)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2014, 10:36 PM
RE: Seth's latest blog post (Medical Care vs Praying for Healing)
(08-04-2014 10:32 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 10:26 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  ...Consider ...hmmm.......Huh ...no idea...

[Image: not-sure-if-sarcastic-or-sincere.jpg]

This may resolve your query...

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2014, 11:02 PM
(08-04-2014 01:11 PM)dogerdog Wrote:  ...
How could someone believe this kind of thing and believe that God is loving OR just?

True story...

Two friends of mine from the Philippines (where christianity is dominant) both, on different occasions, had relatives with cancer.

Both prayed, as did the other family members.

One friend (the catholic one)... poor family... the relative died. Heart was broken. The deceased aunt had raised my friend after her mother died.

Second friend (the non-catholic one but of what denomination, I don't give a fuck).. poor family but through education, hard work and some luck had worked in sales for HP and had put some money away... paid for treatments... the relative survived.

Ooooohhhhh! Thank you Jesus! Her belief was enhanced.

It's called Confirmation Bias.

The good news is that the first friend is now an atheist and even though I claim some small credit there, the failed-prayer was the trigger to start inquiring as to the validity of her beliefs.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
09-04-2014, 12:28 PM
(08-04-2014 11:02 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 01:11 PM)dogerdog Wrote:  ...
How could someone believe this kind of thing and believe that God is loving OR just?

True story...

Two friends of mine from the Philippines (where christianity is dominant) both, on different occasions, had relatives with cancer.

Both prayed, as did the other family members.

One friend (the catholic one)... poor family... the relative died. Heart was broken. The deceased aunt had raised my friend after her mother died.

Second friend (the non-catholic one but of what denomination, I don't give a fuck).. poor family but through education, hard work and some luck had worked in sales for HP and had put some money away... paid for treatments... the relative survived.

Ooooohhhhh! Thank you Jesus! Her belief was enhanced.

It's called Confirmation Bias.

The good news is that the first friend is now an atheist and even though I claim some small credit there, the failed-prayer was the trigger to start inquiring as to the validity of her beliefs.

A lady my wife grew up with (we'll call her Susan) developed some form of cancer that was basically inoperable. She was mid 30's and had 2 young children. Of course lots of prayers were offered up, and one lady who was an acquaintance of her claimed that when she prayed, God told her that Susan would live. Sadly, within a year Susan had died. Publicly, all those who had been praying offered platitudes such as "she's with Jesus now", or "her faith is an example to others". Basically, there is NO situation that will make any of these people question the existence of the God they believe in.