Seth vs his old boss

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2013, 11:01 AM
RE: Seth vs his old boss
It is unfortunate that this conversation was immediately drowning in semantics.
He basically started out by defining religion is such a way that somehow included Atheism and "The Christian Religion", but excluded "Christianity". It's never clear where the difference is, and what is offered is a two-step playing with "how one thinks about god" and "how God thinks of me", or some such nonsense. Theists must be HONEST and admit that there trying to Smuggle Jesus off the drowning ship of organized religion. The crumbling edifice of "The Church" and it's claims about the Nature of the universe and "History" is to obvious for even believers, So they try to wrestle Jesus and PARTS of scripture from the dying hands of the Catholic Church, Call it "A relationship", and go about doing and saying and SELLING exactly the SAME CRAP.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Ugh. I dunno if I want to listen now. BP is already going up. The most frustrating part is when there is no listening or understanding back. There is no conversation or appreciation for explanation for all these 'points'. Lost in translation, I guess.
17-07-2013, 02:07 PM
So far I've listened to about the first third of the show. This guy seems to be reading from a script. He very often ignore Seth's interjections and keep right on going.

Not once did the guest ever admit to believe anything other than a vague Christian belief. Example, he refused to support the bible or discuss it at all. He also used the "I'm offended", "I'm just a simple man", "my evidence is as good as yours" and "I'm just like you" defenses. All he did was dodge and weave.

This guy was not interested in talking to Seth, only at him.
17-07-2013, 02:54 PM
(17-07-2013 01:39 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Ugh. I dunno if I want to listen now. BP is already going up. The most frustrating part is when there is no listening or understanding back. There is no conversation or appreciation for explanation for all these 'points'. Lost in translation, I guess.

It's actually a pretty good podcast LJ. One of the few times Seth gets irate with someone.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
17-07-2013, 04:14 PM
I actually signed up on the forum just to comment on this after listening to the podcast today. Holy spaghetti monster... how on earth do you stay so patient, Seth? When someone has to dither around, deflect and throw out stupid analogies when an honest yes or no answer would suffice...

And oh man, the temerity to say that science gets it wrong all the time. Science happens to be open about its findings - right and wrong - and corrects for it. That's why it works. Does he think it's an accident that the technology he uses to make a living exists in a secular age?

And this is a bad time to be alive? Would he rather live say 500 years ago when people like Ted Bundy were the ones in charge? I say this having read about kings who were considered lenient for only executing 50k people during their reign. W T F. There has never been a better time to be alive, at least in our country. The likelihood of dying in a violent crime is a tiny fraction of what it would have been in any other age.

Ugh, sorry for the rambling. I could never do what you do. Thanks so much for being that person.
[+] 1 user Likes mish's post
17-07-2013, 06:09 PM
I wouldn't have agreed with the recycled "feel good for God" argument if I were still Christian. The fundamentalist churches I came from made it repetitively clear that just feeling good with God doesn't cut it for Heaven. Submission did. My former churches did a lord supper each Sunday to practice meditation patterns of self-disgust for Christ. They added lessons to support that sometimes. The self-hating reflection and saying how sorry we were to God was admired, and just going to church just to feel good was considered laziness in spirit.

~Would prefer that fewer humans type or speak down.~
~One only takes it for a while.~
17-07-2013, 06:58 PM
Made it through the first half of the podcast during a walk. Don't think I can stomach the rest. If I don't finish, it will be the first podcast I haven't listened to in its entirety.

The funniest thing to me is when his old boss made a comment something like....all you atheists use the same old arguments and have nothing new to offer. Gee, if that isn't the pot calling the kettle black Hobo
[+] 2 users Like p0werslav3's post
17-07-2013, 11:56 PM
I'm listening to it now. Fucking hell what a loser. I think Seth wasted his time talking to this moron, and I'm glad Seth got away from this stupidity.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
18-07-2013, 12:13 AM
I'm not gonna be that hard on him. He's pretty typical for a fundamentalist Christian from around those parts.

And to be honest, if you had met Seth Adrews in 1996, he would have said the exact same thing.

It's funny how rational thought changes people. I had similar thoughts when I was a Christian, though I remember trying to rationalize the Bible and often could not understand why things did not live up to the Bible's predictions. After all, didn't God write the thing? And as such can't we trust that these predictions are true? That's where a few of my first seeds of doubt came from.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
18-07-2013, 12:16 AM
Naw. He should have been called out and wailed on for the stupidity he radiates

He is rude and condescending, and Seth was -way- too respectful.

He says to Seth to rewind and listen to himself.

I hope he does that. I hope he's embarrassed and ashamed.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard