Seth vs his old boss

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Seth vs his old boss
I caught this weeks podcast where Seth interviews his old boss from KXOJ. This guy was really annoying me with his dodginess. He jumps around from topic to topic and analogy like a meth addled monkey, claims that the Bible is the inerrant word of God, then denies it, and then disowns any claim that the Bible is accurate or correctly covers the life of Jesus.

Basically he defines Christianity, or belief in God for that matter, as a series of vague, happy, undefined feelings.

And then there's the bit about Atheism being a religion. And that science changes all the time. Well that's really the difference between science and religion, isn't it? Science is an adapting, self correcting means of skeptically interrogating the universe to determine how it works whereas religion makes a single assertion about the nature and function of the universe, then bends itself into a pretzel to cover for all of the errors in it. Hell, the Book of Genesis gets it wrong within only a few dozen words by stating that trees existed before the sun did! We have proof today that that's not how planets and solar systems form, but we still cling to that! People like that guy want to make me tear my hair out!

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
16-07-2013, 08:26 PM
RE: Seth vs his old boss
Wow Seth interviewed Childeye?? Big Grin

On a serious note, I'll have to have a listen.

We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are. -- Anais Nin

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-07-2013, 08:49 PM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2013 10:19 PM by Dark Light.)
Not interested, pass. Sorry, just something I've heard all too many times.

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
16-07-2013, 10:17 PM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2013 10:29 PM by Lienda Bella.)
The defensive tone was bothering me till 46 minutes had ticked by. He didn't sound fully relaxed to me. More like when someone goes into it expecting bad things to hit them in the face.
[+] 1 user Likes Lienda Bella's post
16-07-2013, 10:21 PM
"X-tianity hasn't changed in 2,000 years"

"30,000 denominations"

Theist changes subject.
[+] 3 users Like robnixxo's post
16-07-2013, 11:40 PM
(16-07-2013 08:15 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  I caught this weeks podcast where Seth interviews his old boss from KXOJ. This guy was really annoying me with his dodginess. He jumps around from topic to topic and analogy like a meth addled monkey, claims that the Bible is the inerrant word of God, then denies it, and then disowns any claim that the Bible is accurate or correctly covers the life of Jesus.

Basically he defines Christianity, or belief in God for that matter, as a series of vague, happy, undefined feelings.

And then there's the bit about Atheism being a religion. And that science changes all the time. Well that's really the difference between science and religion, isn't it? Science is an adapting, self correcting means of skeptically interrogating the universe to determine how it works whereas religion makes a single assertion about the nature and function of the universe, then bends itself into a pretzel to cover for all of the errors in it. Hell, the Book of Genesis gets it wrong within only a few dozen words by stating that trees existed before the sun did! We have proof today that that's not how planets and solar systems form, but we still cling to that! People like that guy want to make me tear my hair out!

I think what torqued me most about this character was his liberal use of ad hominem, to the point where he challenged Seth to go to Colorado and call upon his audience to join the legions of Satan.

It took a person of great character to not lose it right there, and Seth was that person.

"I like theories you can test."
-- Sheldon Glashow

When in doubt, eat chocolate.
If doubt persists, have a hot fudge sundae.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like dclarion's post
17-07-2013, 08:15 AM
This guy says that science was pretty wrong 2000 years ago. Of course it was; there wasn't much experimental science then, just philosophical science. Why they thought F=mv and not F=ma, or that gravity pulled different strengths on heavier items.

Now once we have a scientific explanations, they don't get completely overturned very often. We extend our current knowledge into higher energies or higher speeds or shorter distances.

I get so angry when people are so anti-science. (but then say no I'm not)
17-07-2013, 08:21 AM
I'm still listening to the podcast. Holy fucking shit the guy was full of every logical fallacy ever and about as frustrating as Ray Comfort to listen to. Only difference is the guy didn't think bananas are the inerrant fruit of god.

Key blab from him...
- Atheism is a religion because blah blah science
- Atheists are obsessed with god, so it's a religion
- Atheists are basically in denial because they seem to concentrate on christianity the most, and obviously not because it's the dominant religion that fucking annoys and tries to control everyone here
- Christianity is old, therefore it must be legit
- Blah blah Christ is inside him. Not sure on that one... I'd be concerned about that.
- Blah blah disagrees with Seth, blah blah semantics about the word Christian, blah blah "my definition" as Seth is talking about how people interpret it differently... (ironic)
- Attempts to talk about science, doesn't actually understand science
- Talks about "major" things in the bible vs the "other stuff" then gets hung up on science again without understanding science
- Disputes biblical literature, gets hung up on whether or not jesus is talked about in history without addressing whether or not it is accurate and correct. Never cites sources. Doesn't understand the difference between a person being documented in history being a person vs being a "son of god" ... AKA: "Even if jesus existed, it doesn't prove he was the son of god." and makes other terrible logical fallacies.
- Can't take criticism... gets mad and upset and frustrated every time he's asked to make a good point.
- Blah blah blah... talks over Seth a bunch
- Blah blah blah normal I'm shit so I need god talk... blah blah blah we're terrible human beings without him blah blah blah...
- hates on evolution, doesn't know anything about evolution, claims challenging the bible is unfair... even though the entire conversation is about religion...
- gets mad that Seth talks about scriptures when valid points are made
- blah blah christianity isn't a religion
- blah blah ad hominem when offended
- creates his own strawman about airplanes

Holy fucking shit ... he WORKED with this guy some time ago? Man I bet Seth is happy to be done with that! What an infuriatingly dishonest individual.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
17-07-2013, 08:30 AM (This post was last modified: 17-07-2013 08:53 AM by KidCharlemagne1962.)
I loathed this guy. Seth is far nicer than I could be with these types.

"You are what you are at your worst moment". Really?

I worry that so many xians fixate on the bad in life.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 3 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
17-07-2013, 09:21 AM
I'm listening to it now. I have no patience with these types. This guest is an idiot.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller