Seventh Day Adventists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2014, 02:29 AM
RE: Seventh Day Adventists?
(20-09-2014 11:40 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Sorry, I really am ignorant
So, in a nut shell...what are they exactly?

There is a cure for ignorance:

See post #4

Thumbsup

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-09-2014, 09:52 AM
Fundies call them a cult because they follow the teachings of a prophetess, Ellen White, which include 'unbiblical mandates' like being health conscious. They are themselves quite fundamentalist wrt to moral constraints.

The key doctrinal distinctions beyond Saturday worship are: 1. Annihilationism (no hell, a biggie) and 2. Jesus is already judging the dead, and began doing so in 1844 at the time their prophet William Miller predicted his second coming, a convenient switch in prophecy at what came to be known as 'the great disappointment'. It is one of the best examples of Christians twisting the bible to fit reality.

I place them in a par with baptists as far as lunacy and being a threat to free society are concerned.
[+] 2 users Like freetoreason's post
21-09-2014, 10:00 AM
Also, the prophetess was suffering from epilepsy during her visions.

So there's that.
21-09-2014, 11:26 AM
(21-09-2014 10:00 AM)Li_Holodomer Wrote:  Also, the prophetess was suffering from epilepsy during her visions.
---

Well, that's interesting ... Consider ... Mohammad was said to have epileptic like seizures surrounding his "visions", also.

Particular brain conditions do seem to be a common requisite for Propheteering ... as well as profiteering. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
21-09-2014, 11:32 AM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seventh-d...ist_Church

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
21-09-2014, 06:40 PM
(21-09-2014 11:26 AM)kim Wrote:  
(21-09-2014 10:00 AM)Li_Holodomer Wrote:  Also, the prophetess was suffering from epilepsy during her visions.
---

Well, that's interesting ... Consider ... Mohammad was said to have epileptic like seizures surrounding his "visions", also.

Particular brain conditions do seem to be a common requisite for Propheteering ... as well as profiteering. Wink

Lol, yep.

More specifically a brain injury. Wonder if there's a correlation between brain injury and radical fundamentalism? Post hoc propter hoc fallacy maybe, but still would be interesting to see... Big Grin
21-09-2014, 09:00 PM
(25-08-2014 03:51 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  Any ex or current SDA folks here? Was at a service/sabbath school on Saturday - to quote Sue-Ann Post: "I have questions! Many questions!"

Anyone I can talk to about this?

Cheers
For what it's worth the Seventh Day Adventists are the religion of Pitcairn Island, where the descendents of the Bounty mutineers live. I'm not certain when missionaries converted the islanders. One of the first things they did after the conversion was to kill all their pigs. SDAs don't eat pork.

Sapere aude
28-06-2015, 10:22 PM
(25-08-2014 03:51 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  Any ex or current SDA folks here? Was at a service/sabbath school on Saturday - to quote Sue-Ann Post: "I have questions! Many questions!"

Cheers
I am a former Seventh-day Adventist and now a Millerite Adventist. If you still have a question, I suppose that I could answer it.
02-02-2016, 07:30 PM
I go to the 7th dat adventist church. I'm still in the closet of atheism so i'm not publicy former adventist, but soon hahaha. If you have any questions i'm glad to answer.

"Skepticism is the first step towards truth" -Denis Diderot
02-02-2016, 08:40 PM
(28-06-2015 10:22 PM)Zog Has-fallen Wrote:  

Cheers
I am a former Seventh-day Adventist and now a Millerite Adventist. If you still have a question, I suppose that I could answer it.

Sure, I got a question. What's the difference?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus