Seventh Day Adventists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2016, 05:36 AM
RE: Seventh Day Adventists?
(04-02-2016 03:36 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  You were asked how we can determine which interpretation of SDA is correct. Why is that a silly question?

Physics is a noble tradition. In that tradition, theories are never expected to be proven true. At best, all that is hoped for is for a theory to be proven false. There is another science which has a marvelous tradition that is exactly parallel to physics. Its domain consists of the writing of all those who have honestly thought they have heard from God in dreams and visions.

The predictions in Seventh-day Adventist eschatology have already been proven false. Confessing Millerite Adventist eschatology, circa 2016, is exciting, current and is unfolding with awe-inspiring exactness.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2016, 05:48 AM
(03-02-2016 11:44 PM)Zog Has-fallen Wrote:  
(03-02-2016 01:43 PM)unfogged Wrote:  You just do not care if they map to anything demonstrably real?

I can accept the primary axiom being coupled with a notorious second—that a demonstrably compelling proof of God won't be seen until judgment day.

Compounding one unfounded, irrational assumption with another is not a path to knowledge.

Quote:
(03-02-2016 01:43 PM)unfogged Wrote:  By the way, you didn't answer my question about how we can determine which interpretation is correct.

It was a silly question. I have never asserted that I possess the ultimate interpretation of anything.

My question asked nothing about any "ultimate interpretation". It was in response to a number of statements that you have made:

(28-06-2015 10:22 PM)Zog Has-fallen Wrote:  I am a former Seventh-day Adventist and now a Millerite Adventist. If you still have a question, I suppose that I could answer it.

(02-02-2016 09:26 PM)Zog Has-fallen Wrote:  There are many differences. The biggest difference, I think, is that Millerite Adventists believe that the Ellenite Adventists have jumped the gun about assembling to worship God every seventh-day of the week. That isn't expected to restart until the world is made new. Millerites also think that the Ellenites are wrong in their interpretation of endtime events.

(02-02-2016 11:14 PM)Zog Has-fallen Wrote:  It's like the granddaddy of all conspiracy theories cast in the framework of the three greatest evils that are shaping endtime events. These evils coalesce in the book of Revelation into a self-absorbed world-controlling system of evil. It is an earthly political unity of Churchianity and apostate Judaism.

(03-02-2016 08:08 AM)Zog Has-fallen Wrote:  That's very good and I like it. However, it falls far short of properly exposing the incredible evils of Babylon the Great, which, as I have indicated, is the fusion of Churchianity and apostate Judaism.

You used to have faith in the claims of one denomination and have now changed to having faith in another. You also actively denounce faith traditions other than the one you now follow. You are apparently basing that on differing interpretations of the same "evidence". Asking how we can reliably determine which interpretation is correct is not silly, it is the core problem with theism.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
04-02-2016, 06:01 AM
(04-02-2016 05:11 AM)Zog Has-fallen Wrote:  I am quite satisfied with my beliefs being logically consistent, extraordinary, and awe-inspiring.

Beliefs being logically consistent is irrelevant unless there is evidence supporting the idea that they are true. As far as I can see you aren't claiming anything more than that you prefer to live under a comforting delusion than to face reality.

Quote: And since I am very comfortable with the implications of Gödel's incompleteness theorems, such as there being statements in arithmetic that are true and unprovable, then why should I be uncomfortable with God sharing the marvelous status of undecidability with unprovable statements in arithmetic?

That accomplishes exactly nothing to support your belief being true. Even if I accepted that the analogy applied, the fact that there are unprovable truths within a given formal system doesn't mean that it is reasonable to assume any given conjecture is one of them unless there is other evidence supporting it.

(04-02-2016 05:36 AM)Zog Has-fallen Wrote:  Physics is a noble tradition. In that tradition, theories are never expected to be proven true. At best, all that is hoped for is for a theory to be proven false.

Theories are also required to be based on a substantial body of evidence and to make testable predictions.

Quote:There is another science which has a marvelous tradition that is exactly parallel to physics. Its domain consists of the writing of all those who have honestly thought they have heard from God in dreams and visions.

Which offers no good evidence and makes no testable predictions. There is no parallel between religion and any of the sciences.

Quote:The predictions in Seventh-day Adventist eschatology have already been proven false. Confessing Millerite Adventist eschatology, circa 2016, is exciting, current and is unfolding with awe-inspiring exactness.

Please provide examples of specific predictions and how they have been met.

[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
04-02-2016, 06:02 AM
(04-02-2016 05:48 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(03-02-2016 11:44 PM)Zog Has-fallen Wrote:  I can accept the primary axiom being coupled with a notorious second—that a demonstrably compelling proof of God won't be seen until judgment day.

Compounding one unfounded, irrational assumption with another is not a path to knowledge.

Mathematical science consists of proving theorems, not in whining about unprovable axioms.
04-02-2016, 06:17 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2016 06:28 AM by Silly Deity.)
(04-02-2016 06:02 AM)Zog Has-fallen Wrote:  
(04-02-2016 05:48 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Compounding one unfounded, irrational assumption with another is not a path to knowledge.

Mathematical science consists of proving theorems, not in whining about unprovable axioms.

Except that mathematics (and science in general) has fuck all to do with anything that you are talking about.

Please provide examples of those specific predictions, how they have been met and on what basis the veracity of one branch of SDA over another is testable.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 1 user Likes Silly Deity's post
04-02-2016, 06:27 AM
(04-02-2016 06:02 AM)Zog Has-fallen Wrote:  Mathematical science consists of proving theorems, not in whining about unprovable axioms.

Axioms in mathematics are not generally grandiose claims about the nature of reality.

[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
04-02-2016, 06:30 AM
(04-02-2016 06:17 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  
(04-02-2016 06:02 AM)Zog Has-fallen Wrote:  Mathematical science consists of proving theorems, not in whining about unprovable axioms.

Except that mathematics has fuck all to do with anything that you are talking about.

I have been pointing to it. As I've already quoted, "Mathematics is the science of discovering precise definitions and new theorems that reveal exquisite structures."
04-02-2016, 06:48 AM
(04-02-2016 06:30 AM)Zog Has-fallen Wrote:  
(04-02-2016 06:17 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  Except that mathematics has fuck all to do with anything that you are talking about.

I have been pointing to it. As I've already quoted, "Mathematics is the science of discovering precise definitions and new theorems that reveal exquisite structures."

All you have done is quoted from an SDA website.

Once again...........please provide examples of those specific predictions, how they have been met and on what basis the veracity of one branch of SDA over another is testable.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
04-02-2016, 06:54 AM
(04-02-2016 06:17 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  

Please provide examples of those specific predictions, how they have been met and on what basis the veracity of one branch of SDA over another is testable.

I have already pointed to the theorems on page 3. Understanding how they have been met requires that you understand the world according to the tremendous number of atheistic sources cited.
04-02-2016, 07:44 AM
(03-02-2016 12:26 PM)Zog Has-fallen Wrote:  That's a mighty big if. For those willing to examine the theory, the axiom set of the Confessing Millerite Adventists has profound implications.

If it's true. There's no evidence for it. I could say that not believing in leprechauns is passing up an opportunity for gold; that doesn't mean I should start believing in them.
[+] 4 users Like RobbyPants's post