Sex abuse a big problem in America's Bible colleges.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2014, 12:04 PM
RE: Sex abuse a big problem in America's Bible colleges.
RobbyPants made the most reasonable post. Wonders never cease! Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2014, 12:32 PM
Many many colleges have problems with sex abuse. And the most common response is to cover it up. This is far too common and there is an attempt to improve it.

The only difference with Christian colleges is you add the hypocrisy of a religion that is supposed to be more moral.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
06-03-2014, 12:46 PM
Re: RE: Sex abuse a big problem in America's Bible colleges.
(06-03-2014 11:34 AM)Flowergurl Wrote:  I wasn't allowed to wear certain clothing at the Christian high school I went to, for example, and my mom once told me that I looked like a *slut* because my t-shirt showed a bit of my midriff when I was going out for a walk.

Not wanting to probe into your personal life but did your mum ever apologise for that or was it forgotten?

I feel quite grateful reading things like this that I never had to fight indoctrination as I grew up, it really was just up to me what I wanted to do. No pressure for believing or not believing, I was left to my own devices pretty much.

I have the utmost respect for people like yourself that had to find the will to break away from what you were forced to believe was true.

On the other hand, you do have a distinct advantage in knowing what both sides of the coin are like and that's something I can't ever experience.

Using Tapatalk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes TubbyTubby's post
06-03-2014, 12:49 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2014 01:18 PM by rampant.a.i..)
Sex abuse a big problem in America's Bible colleges.
Apologize? I'm guessing you haven't known many super-Christian mothers. Why would they apologize for something they don't feel bad about?

As far as the OP addressing "a different issue" than the article, perhaps I should have spent more time describing the indoctrination into victemhood in the Christian culture that values "forgiveness" of rapists and child molesters by their victims over protecting the innocent, and teaches young women they are the reason sexual assaults happen.

I'm appalled that anyone would make excuses for a culture where allowing your son to rape your daughter repeatedly for years or a father to rape his daughter is preferable to any "hurt feelings" that might be encountered admitting the assault is taking place.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
06-03-2014, 01:08 PM
Re: RE: Sex abuse a big problem in America's Bible colleges.
(06-03-2014 12:49 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  Apologize? I'm guessing you haven't known many super-Christian mothers. Why would they apologize for something they don't feel bad about?

Well no, I've never been subject to a 'super-christian mother'. Never met one either, but I tend to stay away as soon as I get a sniff of it to be fair.

The whole christian thing is an alien world to me. It will stay that way as well.

Using Tapatalk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-03-2014, 01:15 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2014 01:41 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(04-03-2014 08:23 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 07:21 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  Why don't Christians care about sex abuse or rape?

I think you're painting with too broad of strokes, here.

There are people who rape and abuse other people. Some are Christian and some aren't. By and large, I doubt many of the Christian abusers do it because they're Christian. Granted, I'm sure some abuse a station of power to do so, but if they weren't priests (or whatever), they'd likely do so as a teacher or supervisor.

As for people standing by them, I'll blame that one on cognitive dissonance. If you have two family members you care about, and one accuses the other of rape, that's extremely uncomfortable for a number of reasons. A lot of people simply deny there's a problem to make themselves feel better. Now, I think this is terrible, but this often isn't born out of a desire to protect rapists, but rather to wish a problem away through denial.

Now, I do see somewhat of a link in politics between candidates who push for religion/family values/etc who also have exceptionally creepy views on rape. I think this is likely a cause of the Just World Hypothesis and/or them simply being pissed off that women are allowed to have sex with people who aren't their husbands. So, you end up with blaming the victim, slut shaming, and legislation that seems to punish promiscuity. I feel this is a somewhat different issue that you're addressing in the OP, though.

Alpha male, as usual, can't keep his eye on the ball.
The POINT was not about the cause of, or even the correlation with, rape and belief. The POINT was how Christian Colleges deal with (or not) the aftermath.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
06-03-2014, 01:23 PM
Marvelously written piece, Mark.

Of course, the problem is not limited to colleges or churches. It is everywhere.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/2014030...7Q6O1.html

Quote: WASHINGTON (AP) - Legislation to curb sexual assaults in the military by stripping senior commanders of their authority to prosecute rapes and other serious offenses is headed for a highly anticipated vote in the Senate.

The bill, which is expected to come up for a vote Thursday afternoon, is firmly opposed by the Pentagon's leadership, which argues officers should have more responsibility, not less, for the conduct of the troops they lead.

A solid majority of the Senate backs the bill, sponsored by Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., illustrating the deep frustration among Republicans and Democrats over the military's failure to stem the epidemic of sexual assaults in the ranks. Gillibrand, however, will likely need 60 votes to prevent a filibuster that would block the bill's passage.

And then, even if she gets 60 votes in the senate the question remains about the chances of getting this past a bunch of batshit crazy, tea-bagging, jesus-freak, lunatics in the House.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
06-03-2014, 01:56 PM
(06-03-2014 01:15 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Alpha male, as usual, can't keep his eye on the ball.
Laugh out load
Seriously? RobbyPants writes a big piece, I write a line in agreement, and it's me that can't keep my eye on the ball? You guys are amazing! Tongue
06-03-2014, 02:02 PM
(06-03-2014 01:56 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(06-03-2014 01:15 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Alpha male, as usual, can't keep his eye on the ball.
Laugh out load
Seriously? RobbyPants writes a big piece, I write a line in agreement, and it's me that can't keep my eye on the ball? You guys are amazing! Tongue

You can't read. I criticized it above. YOU said it was a great piece. It was irrelevant to the POINT. I see you can't carry on a rational discussion, and stick to the point at hand, and grasp at any straw. I refuted your EXACT point in the post above. I did criticise him. Then you accuse us of not. Idiot.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
06-03-2014, 02:38 PM
(06-03-2014 01:15 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The POINT was not about the cause of, or even the correlation with, rape and belief. The POINT was how Christian Colleges deal with (or not) the aftermath.

That was the point of the article, yes, but I was responding to rampant.a.i's OP, particularly the first line:

(04-03-2014 07:21 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  Why don't Christians care about sex abuse or rape?

I've heard many times from friends who grew up in a Christian household that they were molested repeatedly, and neither parent did anything about the abuse.

In some cases, the father or brother were the abuser. But the abuse was simply covered up, or denied outright.

Apparently Christian colleges handle it much the same way:

Until the "Apparently Christian colleges handle it much the same way", the OP was addressing a broader topic, and that's what I was responding to. I don't feel I missed the point. I addressed one of them.