Poll: How should bathrooms and changing rooms be separated (outside of parent+young child scenarios)
Separated by sex
Separated by gender
Other (read my post to see!)
[Show Results]

Sex and Bathrooms

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2016, 04:46 PM
RE: Sex and Bathrooms
(02-02-2016 02:01 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  I like the idea of unisex restrooms with walls floor to ceiling for each stall so privacy can be maintained BUT this is not the only issue. Throughout history women have been victimized a great deal by men, so bathroom segregation is also for safety sake. You're going to ask women to go into a room with no windows and sometimes doors with locks, certainly stalls with locks that they could be dragged into, that is usually secluded at the back of a store/restaurant/bar/gas station with men and be vulnerable to harassment or assault? Because that is what a lot, maybe the majority, of women will object to and rightly so.

That being said, if places are willing to foot the cost to reconstruct the bathroom facilities this is what I would like to see:

Have the stalls lined up along a wall as individual bathrooms with sinks, no gender designation.
OR
If there's a main room with sinks have it viewable with big windows, no privacy and no hidden down some dark secluded hallway, then secure the stalls with walls floor to ceiling and solid locks.
No urinals.

I have been to places where both of these things were done. One at a Sam's club where all the bathrooms were simply lined up along the wall of the store. Another time at a truck stop/convenience store had the washroom with a huge picture window, no door to the washroom and the stalls were private with deadbolts. Both of these made sense, were safe and convenient.

Okay, I get the bathroom-as-safe-space thing. I didn't think of that. It's unsettling to imagine people routinely needing refuge and finding a gender barrier effective. Men are scary. Sorry about that. Undecided

Real walls, doors, and locks are a good standard. Those silly latches are a polite request for privacy when they work at all.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes I Am's post
02-02-2016, 05:14 PM
(02-02-2016 01:11 PM)I Am Wrote:  I am not hung up on divisions based on gender feelings or the shape of pink bits. I just want an end to urinals, especially those communal troughs. Get stalls with floor-to-ceiling walls and full doors, then let in anyone.

Thank you, very much this. I don't enjoy an audience while doing my business No
Provide proper privacy and then it really doesn't matter.
[+] 2 users Like Blessed_Cheesemaker's post
02-02-2016, 05:19 PM
I've always been uncomfortable with the urinals that don't have dividers. But shortly after I lost my virginity I figured "who cares if they want to look." I don't think anybody actually does. But for the most part I don't worry about it. I do still angle to remain as out of sight as possible though.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
02-02-2016, 05:37 PM
(02-02-2016 02:17 PM)UndauntedToast Wrote:  Saw the title and immediately thought this was about intimacy in public bathrooms.Hobo

Anyway, in all seriousness, I don't care as long as people clean up after themselves. You can witness the worst of humanity in the aftermath of their public bathroom uses sometimes when you waltz in there and find an unspeakable mess. Makes me wonder if these people live that way in their own home.Facepalm

Me too! Dodgy
No seriousness, tho! Tongue

02-02-2016, 05:42 PM
It's no picnic peeing in public bathrooms for a woman either. Hovering over the toilet makes you look like you're in a scene from Mission Impossible.

[Image: 9f2a7f9f27054e3cae4ab5a71a3c0e1d.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
02-02-2016, 06:05 PM
(02-02-2016 05:19 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I've always been uncomfortable with the urinals that don't have dividers. But shortly after I lost my virginity I figured "who cares if they want to look." I don't think anybody actually does. But for the most part I don't worry about it. I do still angle to remain as out of sight as possible though.

I've had someone try to look. Several years ago I stopped at a rest area because I REALLY had to pee. As I walked in, I noticed a guy just standing by the vending machines. Shortly after I went in the bathroom, he came in and walked up to the urinal next to me and started staring at my crotch as I undid the zipper on my pants.

Since I didn't want to give him a show, I went into a stall instead. He went into the stall next to me and when I heard the door close, I turned around and saw him staring at me in the mirror (the stalls had those half size doors on them that an average height person can see right over).

At that point I decided I could probably hold it a little while longer and got the fuck out of there. Sadcryface Angry

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 5 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
02-02-2016, 06:11 PM
(02-02-2016 03:51 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  I smell sex and bathrooms here, ooh...

asshole.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
02-02-2016, 06:29 PM
My daughter's mother-in-law had a fit over unisex bathrooms a couple months back. She was sure they were a haven for pedophiles. After several rants on Facebook about it she stated that she didn't want to share a bathroom with a man. Facepalm She's been married twice...perhaps the reason the marriages didn't last is because the men had to drive to the nearest gas station to use the facilities. Cripes.

I don't have an issue with unisex bathrooms...but I would like to find clean public restrooms more often...regardless of who is using them. Some of them make me feel like I need a hazmat suit to enter them. UGH!

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
02-02-2016, 07:39 PM
(02-02-2016 02:01 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  I like the idea of unisex restrooms with walls floor to ceiling for each stall so privacy can be maintained BUT this is not the only issue. Throughout history women have been victimized a great deal by men, so bathroom segregation is also for safety sake. You're going to ask women to go into a room with no windows and sometimes doors with locks, certainly stalls with locks that they could be dragged into, that is usually secluded at the back of a store/restaurant/bar/gas station with men and be vulnerable to harassment or assault? Because that is what a lot, maybe the majority, of women will object to and rightly so.

That being said, if places are willing to foot the cost to reconstruct the bathroom facilities this is what I would like to see:

Have the stalls lined up along a wall as individual bathrooms with sinks, no gender designation.
OR
If there's a main room with sinks have it viewable with big windows, no privacy and no hidden down some dark secluded hallway, then secure the stalls with walls floor to ceiling and solid locks.
No urinals.

I have been to places where both of these things were done. One at a Sam's club where all the bathrooms were simply lined up along the wall of the store. Another time at a truck stop/convenience store had the washroom with a huge picture window, no door to the washroom and the stalls were private with deadbolts. Both of these made sense, were safe and convenient.
I was going to suggest people get over it, but this is actually a really good point.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
02-02-2016, 10:20 PM

OR
No urinals.

Kinda glad I wasn't the only one who thought of this. I mean men raping women, women raping men, all of that does have an increased risk in mixed sex public bathrooms.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post