Sex, for reasonable people. Challenge for the Thinking Atheist Community

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2011, 05:04 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2011 06:46 PM by mysticjbyrd.)
RE: Sex, for reasonable people. Challenge for the Thinking Atheist Community
(11-11-2011 03:07 AM)PeterK Wrote:  If you listen you may not be convinced, but if you dismiss me then what you believe has no merit because it has never been questioned.
You are wrong. Since I actually don't believe in anything, I have nothing to prove or for you to disprove. In fact, the burden of proof lies solely on the person making the claims, aka you.

After skimming the whole thing the only question I found was,

(11-11-2011 03:07 AM)PeterK Wrote:  The Bible is open to interpretations, are you?
How is the Bible being open to interpretation a good thing? So far the cryptic text has only served to create conflict.
Wouldnt this also mean that the omnipotent, omniscience, omnibenevolent god had bad language skills? Or he has good language skills and just likes to see the humans kill one another. In which case, he is just a giant kid who likes to kill ants with a magnifying glass.

Personally, I am open to all possible solution for every imaginable problem. However, those possibilities must have tangible evidence to back them up, otherwise they are quickly dismissed. For instance, if I am behind schedule I instantly dismiss the idea of elves magically appearing at the job site in the dead of night and finishing the project.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like mysticjbyrd's post
11-11-2011, 05:19 PM
I came for the sex but instead I recieve words. I am dissapoint. Wait...was I just trolled?......dammit...

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 1 user Likes Hamata k's post
11-11-2011, 05:36 PM
The lack of sex I can deal with... I most nearly always am Undecided

This concept that has been elaborated in this thread seems as something that should be asked directly to Seth on a podcast or within an email for him to answer... which in his ways he has answered already.
[+] 3 users Like ClydeLee's post
11-11-2011, 09:36 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2011 10:53 PM by Mr Woof.)
(11-11-2011 03:01 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  Sex? Sex? --- somebody said sex?

My hearing is not what it used to be....

Sex?

Quite a challenge at my age!!!
I think "sex" was simply a 'come on' to an excessively long post that didn't really come to grips with anything.

Just one point.... as for religious charity helping mankind; well iIsee this not as a real help but a case of the power brokers both secular and religious throwing some crumbs to the chooks.

A pseudo self ingratiating ploy that is even more rampant in this the 21st century.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
11-11-2011, 09:54 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2011 10:21 PM by PeterK.)
11-11-2011, 10:25 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2011 10:29 PM by GirlyMan.)
(11-11-2011 09:54 PM)PeterK Wrote:  My Answer:
Absolute Logic. Such logic like the argumentum ad hominem which i try to avoid but so many people on this thread alone have made the mistake of using.

If you want to be an apostle of logic, there's a shitload more than ad hominem you better be prepared for. ad hominem is trivial to dismiss. ... Oh wait, that might've been an ad hominem.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
11-11-2011, 11:03 PM
(11-11-2011 09:54 PM)PeterK Wrote:  
(11-11-2011 12:48 PM)kineo Wrote:  Also, you've referenced 2.5 hours worth of videos in the playlist and claimed the entirety to be false.

Well no, i don't think they are false. I think the creationists are quite wrong on the bible. I think that the videos are bias, exaggerative, and hateful. The information is quite good.

You contradict yourself when you say that they exaggerate but the information is good. Yes, the information is good.

They are honest arguments against Christianity as a religion (most especially literal interpretations of the Bible), because the religion doesn't fit scientific fact. I don't believe that the videos are hateful- at least not toward people. Hateful of the beliefs, then maybe. I would actually instead say that they mock the beliefs- disdainful toward them, and with good reason. This belief system is used to control people- to shame them, and break them with guilt and fear.

Of all the good things you mention in your original post- charity, deeds, etc. All of these things are done by people, not by god. To attribute them to religion and to god is to subtract from the goodness and willingness of the people doing these things. Additionally, non-theists participate in charity and good deeds. Theists do not hold claim to all the good of the world. There are plenty of non-religious charity organizations.

Alternatively the bad things of the world done in the name of religion were done by people. To attribute these to god and religion is to remove the personal responsibility of the individual committing atrocities. At the same time, religion must share in the responsibility for motivating atrocities that it's involved in- such as the Salem Witch Trials, Crusades, etc.

My point is to that behind every good or bad deed attributed to the religious is a person or people who have themselves done these deeds. There is no god to do them. The sooner religion is no longer a factor, the sooner personal responsibility can take its place. People will no longer be able to hide their hatred for gay people behind the bible. People will no longer be able to use bible passages to deliver their insults. People will have to say what they want to say as themselves, not pretending that god is speaking through them.

So when you say that the videos are biased, you suggest that the expression of the facts is somehow an unfair prejudice. That is simply not true. These belief structures are entirely deserving of the ridicule they receive. I get that you don't like the tone of the videos. But the solution to that is simple. Don't watch them.
[+] 4 users Like kineo's post
11-11-2011, 11:08 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2011 11:13 PM by PeterK.)
(11-11-2011 10:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(11-11-2011 09:54 PM)PeterK Wrote:  My Answer:
Absolute Logic. Such logic like the argumentum ad hominem which i try to avoid but so many people on this thread alone have made the mistake of using.

If you want to be an apostle of logic, there's a shitload more than ad hominem you better be prepared for. ad hominem is trivial to dismiss. ... Oh wait, that might've been an ad hominem.

your right, but im not going to go into all that. i dont claim to be such asshole about logic. Im just stating that many people are dismissing my logic because they believe it is the quality of a creationist and i am not.

Unlike you or I thought some people aren't as logical. I think we can both agree that there are people out there that just doesn't represent us. Some colleges require a foundations of logic requirement, but then again some colleges don't.
(11-11-2011 11:03 PM)kineo Wrote:  
(11-11-2011 09:54 PM)PeterK Wrote:  
(11-11-2011 12:48 PM)kineo Wrote:  Also, you've referenced 2.5 hours worth of videos in the playlist and claimed the entirety to be false.

Well no, i don't think they are false. I think the creationists are quite wrong on the bible. I think that the videos are bias, exaggerative, and hateful. The information is quite good.

You contradict yourself when you say that they exaggerate but the information is good. Yes, the information is good.

well, what i meant is that the tone of voice when giving the information is exaggerated. Do you think so or do you disagree
11-11-2011, 11:36 PM
Personally, as someone who came from a heavy Pentecostal religious background, I think that the tone is appropriate. Take the Noah's Ark video. That video is spot-on. It makes light of the claims of the bible while at the same time pointing out the ridiculousness of the story. Do you think an absurdly false claim such as a worldwide flood should be treated with dignity and respect?

Do you realize that people like the Answers in Genesis crew use these stories as a hold to fit the facts to? Then they teach children lies so that they have answers to any questions about the accuracy of the bible. Those children won't learn critical thinking, they will learn lies and it will be difficult for them to be free of those lies for the rest of their lives. People can be more easily controlled- whipped into an emotional frenzy, manipulated into donating to the church more than they can afford, and made to feel extreme guilt for mundane things like masturbation or sexual preference. That guilt then feeds the cycle all the more. And who would question it when all the "facts" they've been taught about reality have been forged to fit their world view?
[+] 3 users Like kineo's post
11-11-2011, 11:44 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2011 12:23 AM by GirlyMan.)
(11-11-2011 11:08 PM)PeterK Wrote:  your right, but im not going to go into all that. i dont claim to be such asshole about logic. Im just stating that many people are dismissing my logic because they believe it is the quality of a creationist and i am not.

Well, that would be irrational. But your ass better give us something on "Sex, for reasonable people" before Hamata k reigns down some troll justice on you.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post