Sex wins!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2012, 05:24 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2012 05:29 PM by Scarlet Pimpernel.)
RE: Sex wins!
(10-06-2012 01:12 PM)kim Wrote:  
(10-06-2012 12:58 PM)morondog Wrote:  I hate seeing some of the old stonework crumbling though Sad The really old statues on some of the cathedrals are just stumps when they must have been totally amazing when they were first carved.
Yes, it's distressing; pollution has really taken it's toll on amazing works of craftsmanship and art. There are entire ruins in Greece that have been all but obliterated by acid rain and pollution. Rome has attempted to restore some of their treasures and they've even moved some indoors to climate controlled environments.
There's a lot of damage to deal with, especially in the larger metropolitan cities.

Art is indeed transitory. Shy

Restoration and preservation techniques nowadays are fantastic. They can invisibly impregnate stonework like gargoyles etc. with epoxies that are probably good for resisting a minimum of 5 millennia of wear by the elements and airborne pollutants. And we have fabulous craftsmen and women that can do wonders on all that art and architecture.
Technically, it's very well doable. But the problem is financially. It's expensive. We've got no money to burn. And we apparently rather spend it on servicing our national economical debt than on servicing our national cultural heritage...

It's a choice.
One we'll probably regret.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2012, 05:42 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2012 05:53 PM by Scarlet Pimpernel.)
(10-06-2012 07:54 AM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  I think I may go to Spain soon. Anything that puts a thumb in the eye of the Catholic Church you have to love.

"Thumb in the eye"...?
Seriously?
Methinks "anything that buggers the Catholic Church you have to love" is more to the point in this context. Big Grin

Oh, and BTW, you don't have to physically go to Spain, bro. You can simply mail-order them from the internet to your doorstep. From just about anywhere in the world.
11-06-2012, 05:06 AM
(10-06-2012 07:34 AM)Scarlet Pimpernel Wrote:  
Quote:MADRID, June 9 (UPI) -- The Spanish parliament lifted a ban on advertising sexual services in print ads and online because of the economic recession.
Imagine that in a country so Roman Catholic as Spain... Big Grin

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2012/06/09/S...339279225/
You'd think that they are highly Roman-Catholic country and you'd be wrong. Same thing with Italy. Although the major religion is Roman-Catholic, these countries have been pretty secular and full of atheists for the last few decades, due to their political leaders and governments. Croatia, Poland and Ireland are much more Roman-Catholic that Spain and Italy, that is why The Pope has visited Spain a few times in the last few years, they have lost a big RC country and now they are doing everything they can do light up the religion. Spanish speaking countries from South America are much more RC than Spain is.

Smartass

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
11-06-2012, 05:18 AM
Huh!

This I don't get...

A thread about sex being derailed in favour of architecture? Bad form :-(

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
11-06-2012, 05:40 AM
(11-06-2012 05:18 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Huh!

This I don't get...

A thread about sex being derailed in favour of architecture? Bad form :-(
Not a derail, we just like architecture... I mean reeaaally like it Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
11-06-2012, 07:51 AM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2012 07:55 AM by Scarlet Pimpernel.)
(11-06-2012 05:06 AM)Filox Wrote:  
(10-06-2012 07:34 AM)Scarlet Pimpernel Wrote:  Imagine that in a country so Roman Catholic as Spain... Big Grin

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2012/06/09/S...339279225/
You'd think that they are highly Roman-Catholic country and you'd be wrong. Same thing with Italy. Although the major religion is Roman-Catholic, these countries have been pretty secular and full of atheists for the last few decades, due to their political leaders and governments. Croatia, Poland and Ireland are much more Roman-Catholic that Spain and Italy, that is why The Pope has visited Spain a few times in the last few years, they have lost a big RC country and now they are doing everything they can do light up the religion. Spanish speaking countries from South America are much more RC than Spain is.

Smartass

Spain is where the Inquisition was conceived and executed. It doesn't get much more Catholic than that, bro.

And – FYI – the RC church in South America is heamorraging: millions are leaving it to become Pentecostalists, because Pentecostalism offers a much more attractive deal than Catholicism. In the Catholic church if you lead a good life you are allowed into heaven after you die. In the Pentecostalist church if you lead a good life you get heaven on earth, during this life. You don't have to die first!

That's obviously a much more attractive proposition for ignorant dickheads so in South America, specifically Brazil, they are leaving the Catholic church in droves for the Pentecost.
12-06-2012, 04:17 AM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2012 04:21 AM by Filox.)
Yeah bro, Spain was a birthplace of Inquisition and was pretty hard with Christianity, but I am talking about TODAY not what was a 1000 years ago. If you didn't know, there was a WW2, Franco, the Spain after Franco and now the modern Spain with new and improved governments.

Quote: Roman Catholicism has long been the main religion of Spain, and although it no longer has official status by law, in all public schools in Spain students have to choose either religion or ethics and Catholic is the only religion officially taught. According to a April 2012 study by the Spanish Center of Sociological Research about 71% of Spaniards self-identify as Catholics, 2.7% other faith, and about 24% identify with no religion among which 9.4% are atheists. Most Spaniards do not participate regularly in religious services. This same study shows that of the Spaniards who identify themselves as religious, 59% hardly ever or never go to church, 15% go to church some times a year, 8% some time per month and 14% every Sunday or multiple times per week

OK, this is interesting, but it get even more interesting ...

Quote: But according to a December 2006 study, 48% of the population declared a belief in a supreme being, while 41% described themselves as atheist or
agnostic
. Altogether, about 22% of the entire Spanish population attends religious services at least once per month. Though Spanish society has become considerably more secular in recent decades, the influx of Latin American immigrants, who tend to be strong Catholic practitioners, has helped the Catholic Church to recover.

So as I said, not really that Catholic as you might think. A lot of years under Franco changed that, then hard left party for a few decades contributed the minimizing of the Catholic church and it's influence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spain

Pretty easy, bro...

http://www.justfuckingoogleit.com

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
12-06-2012, 04:55 AM
(11-06-2012 07:51 AM)Scarlet Pimpernel Wrote:  In the Pentecostalist church if you lead a good life you get heaven on earth, during this life. You don't have to die first!
Sounds like a Ponzi scheme to me!

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
12-06-2012, 05:07 AM
(12-06-2012 04:55 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(11-06-2012 07:51 AM)Scarlet Pimpernel Wrote:  In the Pentecostalist church if you lead a good life you get heaven on earth, during this life. You don't have to die first!
Sounds like a Ponzi scheme to me!

It IS a scam, of course. But it is NOT a 'Ponzi scheme'.
Not every scam is a 'Ponzi scheme', you know.
Just like every cow is a mammal, but not every mammal is a cow...
12-06-2012, 08:57 AM
(10-06-2012 10:57 AM)lucradis Wrote:  Sex always wins.

Also I would love to live in an old church. I hate church itself but the buildings sometimes have really nice architectural details. There is this one church in the last city I lived in that was fairly new but didn't look like it. They went old school with the design, and it was gorgeous. I had to go inside just once. My skin burned a little but that is to be expected.
Theres a very old one for sale right opposite my Edinburgh office

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met