Sh*t people say to Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Tongue Sh*t people say to Atheists
I'm just curious what crazy things you've had said in response to people learning that you are an atheist. Seems like people always have something to say. Laughat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2012, 02:32 PM
RE: Sh*t people say to Atheists
TBH I'm way too confrontational for anyone to question my atheism.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post
18-04-2012, 03:23 PM
I normally keep the atheist thing secret. For that matter..... I don't think I've ever said it to even friends. Of course, they've told me I'm an atheist (and others). Which normally just gets a "But.....wow....really....huh...OK." and that's about it. If they ask any questions (or at this point I consider religion an "open for discussion" topic), some things have been mentioned I figured I'd give my general response too. The first is the list of general things, the second part is the same items with responses:
  • Did the church do something bad to you?
  • You don't believe in heaven or hell?
  • You act like a Christian!
  • So you really don't believe in God? No god?
  • What do you believe in?
  • But I don't want you to go to hell!
That's the short version, if you want more continue, otherwise just ignore Smile

Did the church do something bad to you?
And I honestly reply, that a church didn't, a church minister did [told me abused children and wives need to thank their abuser, ask for more, and beg god forgiveness for not only being evil people but more evil for not taking the punishment], yet that is unrelated to my lack-of-belief--although it sure doesn't help me to want to.

You don't believe in heaven or hell? I'd ask, "which version" the heaven where someone can personally rape and murder thousands of people and watch the life drain from their eyes--then say "forgive me jesus!" and then go for a death-by-cop, and end up in heaven----a heaven where no matter what you believe or do in life, god will judge you for everything you did, because god's not an idiot and he knows you asked for forgiveness just to be in heaven? Or some version that there are probably as many as there are believers (not literally, but a lot).

You act like a Christian! (or Catholic if certain topics are brought up, but not if talking to a Catholic because their church is small). To which I normally reply either "you act like an atheist" (if I'm going to provoke/had a bad day--not normal) or "I treat others in the way I'd want to be treated. Or for others I treat them nicely when they treat me badly only to make them feel guilty" (OK, so I'm "evil" Big Grin)

So you really don't believe in God? No god? Nope. Normally when they stammer, they're going to ask something later on, like they can't get it out of their head. Watching a violent gory bloodbath movie--and right when someone is killed, a question like "so you don't go to church?" comes out.

What do you believe in? Short answer: Truth. Longer answer: I strive to find the truth of everything. For I "believe" that there are as many truths as there are people (different viewpoints), but there is a central truth that consists of all truths. Now that might sound "religious"--but for an example, picture a crime scene where people provide reports of what happened. Each person (generally/hopefully) provided exactly what they remember. The crime itself is the central truth, which involves all thoughts, experiences, beliefs, and perceptions of the people involved. Based on perceptions (the truth), one person may be guilty, based on the central, all parties may be innocent, guilty, something in between, or something completely unexpected. There's nothing supernatural about it, just, wanting to know as much as possible. Of course I put in "scientifically verifiable items", and anything provable into the truth too....

But I don't want you to go to hell! And depending on who says this or a variant.... my response differs. Ranging from "how do you know how to get into heaven, when people don't agree?" to "does god strip you of free will and memories? Because what one person considers hell another may consider it heaven." Or if I'm in a really nice mood (well, depends on how it's taken I'm sure), I may say something like "is god intelligent? Does he know what people are like? Then he'd put me in heaven because of that so you don't have to worry, as you yourself thought I was a christian and more christian than christians because I practice what jesus taught--just think, heaven could be full of atheists!"
[+] 5 users Like elemts's post
18-04-2012, 03:33 PM
(18-04-2012 03:23 PM)elemts Wrote:  You act like a Christian! (or Catholic if certain topics are brought up, but not if talking to a Catholic because their church is small). To which I normally reply either "you act like an atheist" (if I'm going to provoke/had a bad day--not normal) or "I treat others in the way I'd want to be treated. Or for others I treat them nicely when they treat me badly only to make them feel guilty" (OK, so I'm "evil" Big Grin)
I have heard that one a lot...makes me a little nuts because I just try to be a decent person. Christ/religion has nothing to do with it. I have been told by a very Evangelical friend that I act more like a Christian than most of the Christians she knows. Ummm, okay, thanks I guess. From their perspective it's a compliment of sorts. I have never gone so far as to ask what they think an Atheist acts like.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
18-04-2012, 03:36 PM
(18-04-2012 02:32 PM)germanyt Wrote:  TBH I'm way too confrontational for anyone to question my atheism.
You also think fruits are vegetables.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
18-04-2012, 06:27 PM
(18-04-2012 03:36 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  You also think fruits are vegetables.
And you think God exists. Hobo

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 8 users Like germanyt's post
18-04-2012, 07:13 PM
It doesn't come up much except online. It isn't a very big issue for me. I'm pretty apathetic about belief in God. I don't believe in gods but I don't care if others do. I think it can be ennobling in a way some approach it, but debilitating when approached the way the mass of fundies do.

I find Christians who can live with the uncertainty and yet still believe much more worthy of the descriptor "faithful". I've read that Mother Teresa wrote numerous letters confessing her waining belief in God to those over her in the church. Apparently they all thought it was an even greater accomplishment for her to live a good Christian in spite her disbelief than it would have been if that came easily for her. On one level I feel sorry for her that her life led her down a path that ultimately led no where. But only she can judge whether it was worth it.

I'm 100% atheist since I harbor no belief in gods whatsoever.

I'm 100% agnostic since I know I have no objective basis for my lack of belief.

I'm for peaceful coexistence between atheists and theists of all stripes.
[+] 2 users Like whateverist's post
18-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Haha I can relate to some of these for sure. I've also had the, "aren't you worried you'll go to hell?!" or just saying that, that's where I'm headed, but since I don't believe in it, it doesn't hold much weight now does it? "I'll pray for you"... thanks?
18-04-2012, 08:10 PM
The only remarkable reaction was from a guy I went to Christian College with 25 years ago. I used the word Atheist several times in the conversation when I told him I had stopped believing in God. As the conversation ended, he thanked me for being willing to share with him that I had become an Agnostic. No

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
18-04-2012, 08:47 PM (This post was last modified: 18-04-2012 08:53 PM by ghostexorcist.)
Most of the people that I have told aren't religious enough to really care. I will say however, that I used to work with an openly Christian guy who, upon learning I was an atheist, said that I was the nicest one that he had ever met. I'm assuming that he hasn't met that many.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like ghostexorcist's post