Sh*t people say to Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-04-2012, 11:34 AM
RE: Sh*t people say to Atheists

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours"
Richard Dawkins

"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like IGotCoolSocks's post
19-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Well the newest dumbfounder I've heard was on the last Atheist Experience.. A caller told the hosts,

"Why are you trying to take away the human experience?" Which was utterly insane. As if being a slave to something that doesn't exist is all there is to be human.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
19-04-2012, 12:16 PM
(18-04-2012 07:13 PM)whateverist Wrote:  It doesn't come up much except online. It isn't a very big issue for me. I'm pretty apathetic about belief in God. I don't believe in gods but I don't care if others do. I think it can be ennobling in a way some approach it, but debilitating when approached the way the mass of fundies do.

Likewise. My workplace is secular. A regulated secularism. They don't proselytize to me and I don't laugh hysterically at them and we both keep our jobs and play nicely together.

(19-04-2012 11:34 AM)IGotCoolSocks Wrote:  

Jesus Fucking Christ, someone spends way too much time talking to Christians. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
19-04-2012, 12:40 PM
"One of my greatest regrets is not sending you to private schools or doing home school when you were growing up."

From my father. The problem I have with this, even though I would have preferred it growing up in some cases, is that it suggests that in public school when I was taught evolution he would have preferred I was lied to or was not taught science correctly.
[+] 2 users Like kineo's post
19-04-2012, 12:40 PM
(19-04-2012 12:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Jesus Fucking Christ, someone spends way too much time talking to Christians. Wink
What's easy to forget is that some places you can't spit ten feet without hitting a Christian. In Berkeley, California I can go weeks without encountering anyone who wears their religion on their sleeve (so long as I stay away from the majority of my own family). There are places here in the states where an atheist can go his or her whole life without meeting another flesh-and-blood atheist. I feel sorry for these guys but they really do have to deal with religion in a way we don't. If they have a chip on their shoulder they've probably earned it.

[Image: rSJ3y4]
[+] 2 users Like whateverist's post
19-04-2012, 12:55 PM
one of my favorites is, "You have to believe in SOMETHING!!"

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours"
Richard Dawkins

"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church."
[+] 3 users Like IGotCoolSocks's post
19-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Good point. I guess you've got to at least believe you don't have to fucking believe in shit unless you want to.

[Image: rSJ3y4]
19-04-2012, 02:27 PM (This post was last modified: 19-04-2012 02:35 PM by GirlyMan.)
(19-04-2012 12:40 PM)kineo Wrote:  "One of my greatest regrets is not sending you to private schools or doing home school when you were growing up."

Went to Lutheran parochial school from K-9. I credit my keen memory to repeatedly memorizing and reciting bullshit babble passages each day in my formative years. I was and remain very good at it. Also, there's nothing more effective at turning out an atheist than a parochial education in my experience. Wink

(19-04-2012 12:40 PM)whateverist Wrote:  
(19-04-2012 12:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Jesus Fucking Christ, someone spends way too much time talking to Christians. Wink
What's easy to forget is that some places you can't spit ten feet without hitting a Christian. In Berkeley, California I can go weeks without encountering anyone who wears their religion on their sleeve (so long as I stay away from the majority of my own family). There are places here in the states where an atheist can go his or her whole life without meeting another flesh-and-blood atheist. I feel sorry for these guys but they really do have to deal with religion in a way we don't. If they have a chip on their shoulder they've probably earned it.

Yup. And I'm not sure how to help them sorry ass fuckers from my safe dome of secularism other than to say, "You are not alone."

(19-04-2012 12:55 PM)IGotCoolSocks Wrote:  one of my favorites is, "You have to believe in SOMETHING!!"

Nope. I ain't gotta believe in dick. Don't even need to believe in myself in order to go along to get along it seems. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
19-04-2012, 02:50 PM (This post was last modified: 19-04-2012 02:51 PM by morondog.)
(19-04-2012 12:40 PM)whateverist Wrote:  What's easy to forget is that some places you can't spit ten feet without hitting a Christian.
You can spit ten feet? Coooooooool ! Wait how long is a foot?
Also, I'm pretty sure that's anti social behaviour Big Grin
19-04-2012, 03:02 PM
(19-04-2012 02:50 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(19-04-2012 12:40 PM)whateverist Wrote:  What's easy to forget is that some places you can't spit ten feet without hitting a Christian.
You can spit ten feet? Coooooooool ! Wait how long is a foot?
Also, I'm pretty sure that's anti social behaviour Big Grin

12 inches, duh...

Freakin' metric system... making sense and stuff, why don' you use our crappy system instead?!