Sh*t people say to Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-10-2012, 09:51 PM
RE: Sh*t people say to Atheists
My parents and grandparents aren't/weren't very religious, and my brother is an atheist. But I have a lot of cousins, aunts, and uncles who are extremely religious, so a lot comes from those, when they find out I'm an atheist.

"You just need to invite God into your life. You are closed to God, just open yourself to him and he'll come to you."
Lolwut. So I posted this on Facebook:
[Image: jesus.jpg]
I realize he was Jewish and didn't eat pork, but if anyone could bend the rules, it'd be the son of god, right? The dinosaur plate was probably in bad taste, though.

"You just need to take a leap of faith."
I hate this. Why? Why is faith good? If a deity gave me evidence of its existence, I'd believe in it. Otherwise, I see no reason to just have faith. In fact, it sounds dangerous to have faith with no evidence. How would you know you're not being fooled?

"You're too close-minded and not curious about the world. If you just opened your eyes, you'd see God everywhere."
Fuck you. That's why I have bookshelves full of science books. That's why I minored in anthropology: because I have no curiousity about people, the world, or how things work. I'm just looking for the actual reasons, not the ones in a book written by ancient desert tribes. The next person to tell me I have no curiousity is going to be told they can fuck right off.

"You clearly haven't done enough searching/You seem to be still searching."
This is my least favorite. These people think that, because I arrived at a different conclusion than they did, that I am not "done searching." Because if I'm not exactly like them, it's because I just haven't gotten as far as they have yet, or because I don't know about Jesus or some shit. I probably have read their religious texts more than they have; that's why I'm an atheist.

"We didn't come from monkeys."
No shit! Everyone who's ever told me evolution is stupid has clearly had no understanding of it, and refused to read any of the books I recommended on the topic. If you don't understand natural selection, don't tell me it's stupid. You're stupid.

Quote:That bastard watches you masturbate.
I've never been able to understand how Christians masturbate. I mean, imagining a disapproving father figure watching, frowning and shaking his head would just kill the mood for me.

But anyway, my peeves are saying evolution is false, that I'm close-minded for not being credulous, that I'm just ignorant of religion.

Another example from facebook:

"[some people who claim to be] open-minded are closed to any view but their own"
If you're being an ignorant bigoted asshole and forcing your religious views of gay marriage on other people, who may not even belong to your religion, that's not being open-minded. And it's not close-minded to oppose hatred and bigotry. This bitch thinks I am close-minded because I don't think she should push her religious view against gay marriage on other people, and that it makes her a bigot. This post is why I unfriended her on FB. I hate it when people friend me just because we're related, anyway, if we don't even talk or know each other. Also, sure, you have freedom of speech here, but that doesn't mean I'm oppressing you if I tell you whatever you said was stupid and hateful. That's not the same as telling you you can't say it.

Sorry for the rant.. ^_^
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like amyb's post
24-10-2012, 06:00 AM
(23-10-2012 09:51 PM)amyb Wrote:  My parents and grandparents aren't/weren't very religious, and my brother is an atheist. But I have a lot of cousins, aunts, and uncles who are extremely religious, so a lot comes from those, when they find out I'm an atheist.

"You just need to invite God into your life. You are closed to God, just open yourself to him and he'll come to you."
Lolwut. So I posted this on Facebook:
[Image: jesus.jpg]
I realize he was Jewish and didn't eat pork, but if anyone could bend the rules, it'd be the son of god, right? The dinosaur plate was probably in bad taste, though.

"You just need to take a leap of faith."
I hate this. Why? Why is faith good? If a deity gave me evidence of its existence, I'd believe in it. Otherwise, I see no reason to just have faith. In fact, it sounds dangerous to have faith with no evidence. How would you know you're not being fooled?

"You're too close-minded and not curious about the world. If you just opened your eyes, you'd see God everywhere."
Fuck you. That's why I have bookshelves full of science books. That's why I minored in anthropology: because I have no curiousity about people, the world, or how things work. I'm just looking for the actual reasons, not the ones in a book written by ancient desert tribes. The next person to tell me I have no curiousity is going to be told they can fuck right off.

"You clearly haven't done enough searching/You seem to be still searching."
This is my least favorite. These people think that, because I arrived at a different conclusion than they did, that I am not "done searching." Because if I'm not exactly like them, it's because I just haven't gotten as far as they have yet, or because I don't know about Jesus or some shit. I probably have read their religious texts more than they have; that's why I'm an atheist.

"We didn't come from monkeys."
No shit! Everyone who's ever told me evolution is stupid has clearly had no understanding of it, and refused to read any of the books I recommended on the topic. If you don't understand natural selection, don't tell me it's stupid. You're stupid.

Quote:That bastard watches you masturbate.
I've never been able to understand how Christians masturbate. I mean, imagining a disapproving father figure watching, frowning and shaking his head would just kill the mood for me.

But anyway, my peeves are saying evolution is false, that I'm close-minded for not being credulous, that I'm just ignorant of religion.

Another example from facebook:

"[some people who claim to be] open-minded are closed to any view but their own"
If you're being an ignorant bigoted asshole and forcing your religious views of gay marriage on other people, who may not even belong to your religion, that's not being open-minded. And it's not close-minded to oppose hatred and bigotry. This bitch thinks I am close-minded because I don't think she should push her religious view against gay marriage on other people, and that it makes her a bigot. This post is why I unfriended her on FB. I hate it when people friend me just because we're related, anyway, if we don't even talk or know each other. Also, sure, you have freedom of speech here, but that doesn't mean I'm oppressing you if I tell you whatever you said was stupid and hateful. That's not the same as telling you you can't say it.

Sorry for the rant.. ^_^

Excellent rant. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
24-10-2012, 06:24 PM (This post was last modified: 24-10-2012 06:32 PM by GirlyMan.)
(23-10-2012 09:51 PM)amyb Wrote:  "You clearly haven't done enough searching/You seem to be still searching."

My Mom posted this on my Facebook wall (or timeline or whatever the fuck it's called today) on my 50th birthday:

"HOPE THIS IS THE YEAR YOU FIND PEACE WITH THE LORD OUR SAVIOR. YOU HAVE BEEN SERCHING FOR SO MANY YEARS. INSTEAD OF READING ALL THE MANISFESTO,S THIS YEAR YEAR THE BIBLE AGAIN. LOTS OF LOVE MOM"

Yeah, ain't gonna happen Mom. And you really should learn how to spell and shit. ... But love you too, Mom. Hug

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
24-10-2012, 08:42 PM
My other peeve is when people act persecuted because you either (1) tell them you're an atheist or (2) suggest their belief in woo is a bit silly. Or especially when (like the cousin I talked about above) they suggest that when you tell them their homophobia is assholish and uncalled for, they act like you're religious-persecuting them and they remind you they have "freedom of speech" and "freedom of religion." Calling someone an asshole is totally different from trying to censor them. I don't necessarily want them to shut up; I would just prefer them to think before they open their mouths.

People keep insisting that I think people should be forced to be atheists. That is a fucking stupid thing to think and I never said anything to make it seem like I did, you can't just tell people to change their beliefs because you want them to, even if you're more rational than them.

(24-10-2012 06:24 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  My Mom posted this on my Facebook wall (or timeline or whatever the fuck it's called today) on my 50th birthday:

"HOPE THIS IS THE YEAR YOU FIND PEACE WITH THE LORD OUR SAVIOR. YOU HAVE BEEN SERCHING FOR SO MANY YEARS. INSTEAD OF READING ALL THE MANISFESTO,S THIS YEAR YEAR THE BIBLE AGAIN. LOTS OF LOVE MOM"

Yeah, ain't gonna happen Mom. And you really should learn how to spell and shit. ... But love you too, Mom. Hug

Argh. Yeah, that sort of thing. I wish they'd realize it may not be Jesus we're searching for... No

Reading the bible always helps me remember why I'm an atheist, though.
[+] 2 users Like amyb's post
24-10-2012, 09:10 PM
(24-10-2012 08:42 PM)amyb Wrote:  I wish they'd realize it may not be Jesus we're searching for...

Girly likes reading the Red Letter Version of the New Testament, Girly is pretty confident that he is his own personal Jesus. Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
24-10-2012, 09:20 PM
Well, I'm glad you've finally found peace with your lord and savior.

I've always been fond of just telling people "I found him! He was behind the couch all along!" or similar, though.
[+] 2 users Like amyb's post
24-10-2012, 09:32 PM
(24-10-2012 08:42 PM)amyb Wrote:  My other peeve is when people act persecuted because you either (1) tell them you're an atheist or (2) suggest their belief in woo is a bit silly.

I had someone unfriend and unfollow me on FB/Twitter because I made anti-theistic statements. This person otherwise stands up proudly for the rights of everyone to say what they want in their own space. With, of course, the parenthetical unspoken addendum of 'as long as it's not something I vehemently disagree with'.

It's as if saying, "Hey, y'know, I don't believe in all that god stuff so much any more" is equivalent to saying, "Hey, all you moron Christians/Muslims/Jews/who-the-heck-ever! You all suck! A lot! With swear words!"

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

"The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. ... So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." -- Lawrence Krauss
24-10-2012, 09:33 PM
(24-10-2012 09:20 PM)amyb Wrote:  Well, I'm glad you've finally found peace with your lord and savior.

I am my own lord and savior, amyb, and all is right with the world. Thumbsup

25-10-2012, 10:30 AM
(24-10-2012 09:32 PM)calmblueocean Wrote:  I had someone unfriend and unfollow me on FB/Twitter because I made anti-theistic statements. This person otherwise stands up proudly for the rights of everyone to say what they want in their own space. With, of course, the parenthetical unspoken addendum of 'as long as it's not something I vehemently disagree with'.

It's as if saying, "Hey, y'know, I don't believe in all that god stuff so much any more" is equivalent to saying, "Hey, all you moron Christians/Muslims/Jews/who-the-heck-ever! You all suck! A lot! With swear words!"

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

I have an antitheism website, which I promote exactly as much as other websites I'm involved with (others involve things like movie reviews, video games, etc. and are less polarizing). So I've had dozens of people unfriend me for linking to articles I've written. But to heck with them, that's what I use facebook for. they shouldn't have friended me in the first place is how I see it. I don't really post personal stuff on FB; I use it to promote websites and to manage my website's fanpages there. If people don't like that, they can GTFO. I never promised anyone I would never post shit they don't agree with.

But yeah, people tend to take that personally, a lot more personally than most of us probably intend it to be taken. And if they are posting stuff about God all the time, I don't see what's so wrong with me sometimes saying I think maybe religion isn't always a force for good, or talking about how I don't like the idea of indoctrinating children when they are too young to think critically about things. People tend to believe it's just something you're not allowed to talk about unless you agree with them, and that you're an asshole if you speak against religion. I don't do it to be an asshole, I do it because i see people trampling on other people's rights because of religion, or being hateful because of it.
[+] 3 users Like amyb's post
25-10-2012, 11:19 AM
*Look of confusion* "...Well...then what are you supposed to worship?"

In her defense, though, she was a very sweet young woman who's mind had been defiled by religion since birth, so it's not entirely her fault that she had no concept of *not* worshipping something.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!