Shadowboxing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2015, 12:46 AM
Shadowboxing
Have you ever found yourself running through potential arguments/debates against theists in your head, even unrealistic exchanges? I have. I felt the need to share this one, just for the sake of silliness. Big Grin Feel free to reply with any hypothetical (or real) exchanges of your own. (The first few lines I stole from some online comic, forget which, but the rest are my own.)

Theist: But how do you know that Genesis didn't happen exactly like the Bible didn't say? How could you know that? You weren't there, were you?
Atheist: Actually, I was!
Theist: .... NO YOU WEREN'T!
Atheist: How do you know I wasn't there? Were YOU there?
Theist: You're not six thousand years old!
Atheist: Okay, fine, I wasn't there. But my friend Bill WAS there and HE revealed to me that it didn't happen like Genesis says it did.
Theist: I highly doubt your friend Bill is six thousand years old either!
Atheist: No, but he does have a time machine.
Theist: A time machine? That's physically, logically impossible! It's absolutely absurd!
Atheist: What other explanation is there for Ted going back in time than that he had a time machine?
Theist: TED DIDN'T GO BACK IN-- ... wait, I thought you said your friend's name was Bill?
Atheist: Bill, Ted, I can refer to my friend by a lot of different names, but the story's still consistent.
Theist: But Bill or Ted or whoever didn't go back in time!
Atheist: Ted says he did, and I know I can trust him.
Theist: BECAUSE HE'S LYING! Or maybe you're making this all up!
Atheist: Why are you so prejudiced against Bill's word? Why do you hate Bill so much?
Theist: .... Wait, you're just lampooning Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure!
Atheist: ... guilty as charged.
Theist: Would you PLEASE take this seriously?
Atheist: Fine. No more references to Keanu Reeves movies. ... except maybe The Matrix. ... the good one, not the sequels.
Theist: So, you CAN'T say that Genesis didn't happen since you WEREN'T there, but-
Atheist: By the way, that was very clever of you. The way you called me out on that? Even without you being a direct witness to the contrary, you can still dismiss my version of events, and with great indignity, because it is absurd on its face, violates our sense of reality as we know it, contains contradictions, originates from parties that we might regard as most-likely untrustworthy and/or fictional, and is a clearly-identifiable distortion of a previous tale! .... so if you can dismiss my account in such a manner, why would I need to have been there to say that Genesis is false?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Reltzik's post
21-07-2015, 01:09 AM
RE: Shadowboxing
Bravo!

Thanks for that. Nicely done.

Now, see a doctor ... you're talking to yourself!

Wink

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
21-07-2015, 01:16 AM
(waiting for Muffs to say "Needs more dragon")

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
21-07-2015, 07:14 AM
This was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw shadowboxing.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
21-07-2015, 07:23 AM
I find actual boxing to be a much better method of resolving a debate that seems to be going nowhere.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
21-07-2015, 07:29 AM
(21-07-2015 01:09 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Bravo!

Thanks for that. Nicely done.

Now, see a doctor ... you're talking to yourself!

Wink

At least he'll acknowledge that he's talking to himself. Thumbsup

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
21-07-2015, 09:01 AM
It's okay if you talk to yourself.

It's even okay if you answer.

But when you start saying, "Wait, what did you say?", then you have a problem.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
21-07-2015, 09:05 AM
At work.

Not able to post links but the 'Shadow boxing' title reminded me of an Australian band 'The Angels' and their single titled "Shadow Boxer".

Some times I don't feel like myself...... but then, if I'm not myself. ....who am I?
21-07-2015, 01:53 PM (This post was last modified: 21-07-2015 02:11 PM by Grasshopper.)
(21-07-2015 07:23 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I find actual boxing to be a much better method of resolving a debate that seems to be going nowhere.

This reminded me of a famous story about old-time baseball player Rogers Hornsby:

Quote:He [Hornsby] and Fletcher commenced shouting at each other. Without warning, Hornsby reared back and punched Fletcher in the face, knocking him out cold.

"Why would you do that?" Hornsby was asked after. "I wasn't making any progress talking to him," was his answer.

Laugh out load

The full article is here:

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/9/11/61...-brutality
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post