Shady balls prevent evaporation.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-08-2015, 01:15 PM
Shady balls prevent evaporation.
For anyone who doesn't know, there's a bit of a dry spell on the west coast of America. Los Angeles and that area has been hit pretty bad by it. I just came across this on a FB science discussion page I am on.

LA Shade balls

The primary purpose seems to be to prevent UV light from entering the reservoir to prevent algae and bromide formation, but preventing 300 million gallons of evaporation is a nice side effect.

admit it, you thought this was gonna be about something else, perv

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
13-08-2015, 01:21 PM
RE: Shady balls prevent evaporation.
I thought this post was going to be about something else Blush Laugh out load

I live in CA too. I just put in a drought-friendly yard. Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
13-08-2015, 01:22 PM
(13-08-2015 01:21 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I thought this post was going to be about something else Blush Laugh out load

You have a dirty mind... I like it!

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
13-08-2015, 01:46 PM
(13-08-2015 01:21 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I thought this post was going to be about something else Blush Laugh out load

What kind of modifications goes into a drought friendly yard? That's not something we have around these parts. Living next to one of the largest bodies of fresh water in the world kind of spoils us when it comes to clean, usable water. (well, it's clean after it's been processed. I'd never drink straight from Lake Erie)

13-08-2015, 01:50 PM
(13-08-2015 01:46 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  

What kind of modifications goes into a drought friendly yard? That's not something we have around these parts. Living next to one of the largest bodies of fresh water in the world kind of spoils us when it comes to clean, usable water. (well, it's clean after it's been processed. I'd never drink straight from Lake Erie)

Many people have switched to a drought-friendly yard around here--it looks much better than brown grass. You just throw in a few trees, some masonry, and lots of bark mulch.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
13-08-2015, 01:55 PM

Any yard is drought-friendly if you stop watering it. Hobo
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
13-08-2015, 01:58 PM
(13-08-2015 01:55 PM)pablo Wrote:  

Any yard is drought-friendly if you stop watering it. Hobo

Well, yeah, if you like brown grass Tongue
13-08-2015, 02:05 PM
(13-08-2015 01:58 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 01:55 PM)pablo Wrote:  Any yard is drought-friendly if you stop watering it. Hobo

Well, yeah, if you like brown grass Tongue

If don't water it long enough, the brown grass will go away. Tongue
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
13-08-2015, 02:07 PM
(13-08-2015 01:50 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 01:46 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  What kind of modifications goes into a drought friendly yard? That's not something we have around these parts. Living next to one of the largest bodies of fresh water in the world kind of spoils us when it comes to clean, usable water. (well, it's clean after it's been processed. I'd never drink straight from Lake Erie)

Many people have switched to a drought-friendly yard around here--it looks much better than brown grass. You just throw in a few trees, some masonry, and lots of bark mulch.

Cool. I am trying to replace as much grass in my yard as possible. It's not that I don't like grass, it's that I hate mowing it. And it rains so much here that I can't cut it some weeks.

If I lived in a warm dry climate, I would have a yard full of succulents. I love the way they look.

[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
13-08-2015, 02:17 PM
(13-08-2015 02:07 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 01:50 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Many people have switched to a drought-friendly yard around here--it looks much better than brown grass. You just throw in a few trees, some masonry, and lots of bark mulch.

Cool. I am trying to replace as much grass in my yard as possible. It's not that I don't like grass, it's that I hate mowing it. And it rains so much here that I can't cut it some weeks.

If I lived in a warm dry climate, I would have a yard full of succulents. I love the way they look.

Oh, oops, I thought you lived in CA due to your post. I hired a landscaper to do all that. I don't have a green thumb--like at all. My boyfriend's mom is in the hospital and she was stressing about her plants--so as a nice gesture, I took her plants and put them in this green house I have off the side of my house. Well, the leaves burned to a crisp because apparently the types of plants she has should not be kept in that kind of environment. Facepalm