Shady balls prevent evaporation.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-08-2015, 02:21 PM
RE: Shady balls prevent evaporation.
I too live in sunny SoCal, and we're in the process of letting our lawn die. Sad to say, but we need the water. We will be using mulch and drought tolerant plants, eventually; but we missed the money grab when the MWD still had some for the change out. I'm also hearing of stories where the money was collected but the conversion not made. There's always somebody. What I would like to do is recycle the bath and washing machine gray water to use for toilet flushing. It seems so senseless to crap in clean water when a large portion of the world's population has to get their "potable" water from a contaminated stream. Use of the balls to reflect the majority of the insolation is smart, but I'm curious what happens if they migrate downstream to the ocean, or clog the waterway. Hopefully someone engineered them so that this possibility is minimized.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
13-08-2015, 02:22 PM
(13-08-2015 02:17 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 02:07 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Cool. I am trying to replace as much grass in my yard as possible. It's not that I don't like grass, it's that I hate mowing it. And it rains so much here that I can't cut it some weeks.

If I lived in a warm dry climate, I would have a yard full of succulents. I love the way they look.

Oh, oops, I thought you lived in CA due to your post. I hired a landscaper to do all that. I don't have a green thumb--like at all. My boyfriend's mom is in the hospital and she was stressing about her plants--so as a nice gesture, I took her plants and put them in this green house I have off the side of my house. Well, the leaves burned to a crisp because apparently the types of plants she has should not be kept in that kind of environment. Facepalm

Nope, I live near Cleveland, Ohio. I used to live in central Cali, and I still have a few friends in LA and Monterey who are affected by the drought. Also, I think it's a pretty clever solution, as single piece floating covers are really fucking expensive and don't last anywhere near the 25 years these simple plastic balls should last.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
13-08-2015, 02:27 PM
(13-08-2015 02:22 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 02:17 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Oh, oops, I thought you lived in CA due to your post. I hired a landscaper to do all that. I don't have a green thumb--like at all. My boyfriend's mom is in the hospital and she was stressing about her plants--so as a nice gesture, I took her plants and put them in this green house I have off the side of my house. Well, the leaves burned to a crisp because apparently the types of plants she has should not be kept in that kind of environment. Facepalm

Nope, I live near Cleveland, Ohio. I used to live in central Cali, and I still have a few friends in LA and Monterey who are affected by the drought. Also, I think it's a pretty clever solution, as single piece floating covers are really fucking expensive and don't last anywhere near the 25 years these simple plastic balls should last.

I lived in Ohio for awhile, before CA actually.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
13-08-2015, 02:32 PM
(13-08-2015 02:21 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I too live in sunny SoCal, and we're in the process of letting our lawn die. Sad to say, but we need the water. We will be using mulch and drought tolerant plants, eventually; but we missed the money grab when the MWD still had some for the change out. I'm also hearing of stories where the money was collected but the conversion not made. There's always somebody. What I would like to do is recycle the bath and washing machine gray water to use for toilet flushing. It seems so senseless to crap in clean water when a large portion of the world's population has to get their "potable" water from a contaminated stream. Use of the balls to reflect the majority of the insolation is smart, but I'm curious what happens if they migrate downstream to the ocean, or clog the waterway. Hopefully someone engineered them so that this possibility is minimized.

I have some concerns about the lasting effect and any potential cleanup of the balls. Yeah, they're supposed to last 25 years, but what about when they start breaking down. How big of a pain in the ass is it going to be to fish out all the pieces.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 2 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
13-08-2015, 02:35 PM
(13-08-2015 02:27 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 02:22 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Nope, I live near Cleveland, Ohio. I used to live in central Cali, and I still have a few friends in LA and Monterey who are affected by the drought. Also, I think it's a pretty clever solution, as single piece floating covers are really fucking expensive and don't last anywhere near the 25 years these simple plastic balls should last.

I lived in Ohio for awhile, before CA actually.

I'm sorry to hear that. Tongue Unless you're actually from Ohio, there's not a lot of good reason to live here. I miss Monterey, but not the cost of living.

[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
13-08-2015, 09:02 PM
(13-08-2015 02:32 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 02:21 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I too live in sunny SoCal, and we're in the process of letting our lawn die. Sad to say, but we need the water. We will be using mulch and drought tolerant plants, eventually; but we missed the money grab when the MWD still had some for the change out. I'm also hearing of stories where the money was collected but the conversion not made. There's always somebody. What I would like to do is recycle the bath and washing machine gray water to use for toilet flushing. It seems so senseless to crap in clean water when a large portion of the world's population has to get their "potable" water from a contaminated stream. Use of the balls to reflect the majority of the insolation is smart, but I'm curious what happens if they migrate downstream to the ocean, or clog the waterway. Hopefully someone engineered them so that this possibility is minimized.

I have some concerns about the lasting effect and any potential cleanup of the balls. Yeah, they're supposed to last 25 years, but what about when they start breaking down. How big of a pain in the ass is it going to be to fish out all the pieces.

It isn't just the plugging potential that I mentioned before, but you bring up the good point about decomposition. My concern then is that it just isn't the cost of fishing them out, but what did they turn into in those intervening years? Note that ABS has been used for drain plumbing for over 50 years; I have it in my current house, and it still seems to be OK. So, if the balls are really ABS, maybe it is OK...though my plumbing is out of the reach of the sun, and these balls are not.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
13-08-2015, 09:06 PM
(13-08-2015 01:15 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  admit it, you thought this was gonna be about something else, perv

No. They thought it was going to be about some ONE else. I will bomb your embassy.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
13-08-2015, 09:10 PM
That reservoir with all those balls floating on top would be a great place to dump a body. If one were so inclined. Gasp
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
14-08-2015, 06:54 AM
(13-08-2015 09:10 PM)pablo Wrote:  That reservoir with all those balls floating on top would be a great place to dump a body. If one were so inclined. Gasp

I'm intrigued by your views and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
14-08-2015, 07:07 AM
(13-08-2015 09:10 PM)pablo Wrote:  That reservoir with all those balls floating on top would be a great place to dump a body. If one were so inclined. Gasp

Reservoirs are terrible places to hide a body. They monitor the water quality too much and may notice increases in things like nitrates as the body decomposes.

What you need is a pig farm...

[+] 3 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post