Shai Reads The Case for Christ

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2017, 10:09 AM
RE: Shai Reads The Case for Christ
(17-04-2017 09:09 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  Very nice! You continue to impress me Smile

Yeah, oh my god... once people start incorporating probability into their arguments from incredulity, it makes me want to eat my face off.

PS: laughed so hard at fudgenuggetsBig Grin

Strobel seems blissfully unaware that the authors of the NT had the OT right in front of them.

And apparently the shoehorn the NT authors used for the prophecies wasn't big enough, because they still managed to either misquote, name a phrophecy that wasn't even in the OT, or use a reference from the wrong book. Whoever the Matthew author is, I'm looking at you.

Also, I completely read fudgenuggets as something different.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like deerseed's post
18-04-2017, 11:15 AM
(17-04-2017 09:09 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  Very nice! You continue to impress me Smile

Yeah, oh my god... once people start incorporating probability into their arguments from incredulity, it makes me want to eat my face off.

Strobel seems blissfully unaware that the authors of the NT had the OT right in front of them.

Glad to make you laugh. Smile Though that's one of his theories he "debunks", having the OT right in front of them. Not well mind you; just that "people would've called them on it" is basically the extent of it, because, and I quote page 199 and the 'expert' Lapides, "In God's wisdom, He created checks and balances both inside and outside the Christian community." As for probability, it's actually why I never finished one apologetics book, they started writing out all the zeroes while talking about probability. At least Strobel didn't do that.

(18-04-2017 10:09 AM)deerseed Wrote:  

And apparently the shoehorn the NT authors used for the prophecies wasn't big enough, because they still managed to either misquote, name a phrophecy that wasn't even in the OT, or use a reference from the wrong book. Whoever the Matthew author is, I'm looking at you.

Also, I completely read fudgenuggets as something different.

...I nearly typed fudgenuggets as something completely different. Wink Trying to keep this PG to PG-13 in this thread at least, since it's the sort of book people read in church small group and pretty much nowhere else. x.x As for misquotes, i think that falls under his attempted apologetic where he claimed 40% accuracy on oral histories was still good and conflicting stories aren't conflicting, they're just sharing other details to form the whole story. Because conflicting doesn't mean conflicting in this book. Sad

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
18-04-2017, 11:47 AM
I commend your ability to stick with this, Shai... I've given up even wanting to find out how it ends. Undecided

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
18-04-2017, 01:16 PM
(18-04-2017 11:47 AM)kim Wrote:  I commend your ability to stick with this, Shai... I've given up even wanting to find out how it ends. Undecided

You *know* how it ends, Kim. Sinner's prayer. It's practically fucking guaranteed. All that remains is to see how puke-worthy Strobel's particular phrasing of it is.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
18-04-2017, 01:37 PM
(18-04-2017 11:47 AM)kim Wrote:  I commend your ability to stick with this, Shai... I've given up even wanting to find out how it ends. Undecided

I was apparently wrong, after looking at the Table of Contents, there's 4 more chapters, the "Conclusion" that's 14 pages long called "The Verdict of History", and an interview with Strobel still to go in the version the thread is reading. So we're all going to find out how it ends together. Smile

(18-04-2017 01:16 PM)morondog Wrote:  

You *know* how it ends, Kim. Sinner's prayer. It's practically fucking guaranteed. All that remains is to see how puke-worthy Strobel's particular phrasing of it is.

See, I'm not sure. Will he end his interview with the Sinner's Prayer? Also, what is up with Evangelicals and the Sinner's Prayer? Like I get it in concept if you're using the "Roman Road" as far as Salvation goes. However, so many insist it must be said exactly as presented, like rote, when it was Billy Graham who made it, not the Bible.

[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
18-04-2017, 01:44 PM
I'm too lazy to go back and read the whole thread (to see whether or not this has already been mentioned), but for those too lazy to read the book, it's now a movie, too (playing now at my local cinema, and probably yours as well!). Not that I'm going to waste 2 hours of my life going to see that movie...
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
18-04-2017, 02:19 PM
(18-04-2017 01:37 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  See, I'm not sure. Will he end his interview with the Sinner's Prayer?
He'll definitely leave you with some "final thought" that basically is an invitation to sinner's prayer, even if he doesn't articulate it straight out - they've gotten a bit more cunnning over the years.

Quote: Also, what is up with Evangelicals and the Sinner's Prayer? Like I get it in concept if you're using the "Roman Road" as far as Salvation goes. However, so many insist it must be said exactly as presented, like rote, when it was Billy Graham who made it, not the Bible.
It's a magic spell - you can't change the formula or the magic won't work. Don't you know ANYTHING?

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
18-04-2017, 02:52 PM
(18-04-2017 01:37 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  

I was apparently wrong, after looking at the Table of Contents, there's 4 more chapters, the "Conclusion" that's 14 pages long called "The Verdict of History", and an interview with Strobel still to go in the version the thread is reading. So we're all going to find out how it ends together. Smile

(18-04-2017 01:16 PM)morondog Wrote:  You *know* how it ends, Kim. Sinner's prayer. It's practically fucking guaranteed. All that remains is to see how puke-worthy Strobel's particular phrasing of it is.

See, I'm not sure. Will he end his interview with the Sinner's Prayer? Also, what is up with Evangelicals and the Sinner's Prayer? Like I get it in concept if you're using the "Roman Road" as far as Salvation goes. However, so many insist it must be said exactly as presented, like rote, when it was Billy Graham who made it, not the Bible.

And suddenly I'm 5 years old, I've just come out of my bedroom to announce to my mother that I've accepted Jesus into my heart as my personal savior. "What did you say?" she asked. "I want Jesus to be my savior." "That's not enough. Go say you're sorry for your sins and want forgiveness..."

I had to go back and forth to my bedroom three or four times, reciting increasingly elaborate prayers, until she decided I'd been saved properly.
[+] 4 users Like julep's post
18-04-2017, 03:04 PM
(18-04-2017 01:44 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I'm too lazy to go back and read the whole thread (to see whether or not this has already been mentioned), but for those too lazy to read the book, it's now a movie, too (playing now at my local cinema, and probably yours as well!). Not that I'm going to waste 2 hours of my life going to see that movie...

Oy, don't recommend you see it either. It makes the book look like a masterpiece. Actually, reading the book, makes the movie worse, because you see what they've invented wholesale while 'basing' it on a 'true story'.
(18-04-2017 02:19 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(18-04-2017 01:37 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  See, I'm not sure. Will he end his interview with the Sinner's Prayer?
He'll definitely leave you with some "final thought" that basically is an invitation to sinner's prayer, even if he doesn't articulate it straight out - they've gotten a bit more cunnning over the years.

Quote: Also, what is up with Evangelicals and the Sinner's Prayer? Like I get it in concept if you're using the "Roman Road" as far as Salvation goes. However, so many insist it must be said exactly as presented, like rote, when it was Billy Graham who made it, not the Bible.
It's a magic spell - you can't change the formula or the magic won't work. Don't you know ANYTHING?
Apparently not. According to all of Strobel's 'experts' I believe those wrong intellectual people about history and such. So why know something about this?

(18-04-2017 02:52 PM)julep Wrote:  
(18-04-2017 01:37 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I was apparently wrong, after looking at the Table of Contents, there's 4 more chapters, the "Conclusion" that's 14 pages long called "The Verdict of History", and an interview with Strobel still to go in the version the thread is reading. So we're all going to find out how it ends together. Smile

And suddenly I'm 5 years old, I've just come out of my bedroom to announce to my mother that I've accepted Jesus into my heart as my personal savior. "What did you say?" she asked. "I want Jesus to be my savior." "That's not enough. Go say you're sorry for your sins and want forgiveness..."

I had to go back and forth to my bedroom three or four times, reciting increasingly elaborate prayers, until she decided I'd been saved properly.

I'm sorry Hug Did not mean to make you relive that. (Though you accepted Jesus at a younger age than my cousin's preacher kids, who still haven't...so going by Evangelical standards, you get to party in Heaven and they don't.)

[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
18-04-2017, 03:20 PM
Back when I were a sprog they used to ding us with that guff about "All are sinners and fall short of the Glory of God" and carefully hexplain to us young layabouts that that meant that we were officially fucked even if we weren't running around murdering people. The only way to be unfucked was to love Jesus more than you loved your family, and to earnestly accept that you were a human shitstain, and that the only person with the power to save you was everyone's favourite superhero, the J-man himself.

It's a barbaric, primitive, ugly thing, to teach a child to hate themselves, to tell themselves that they love some abstraction more than family, and to scare the living shit out of them with stories of death. It's also a potent power-trip.

[+] 4 users Like morondog's post