Shai Reads The Case for Christ

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2017, 06:43 PM
RE: Shai Reads The Case for Christ
(30-04-2017 06:30 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Why in God's name are you fucking subjecting yourself (and me) to this bullshit? The case for Christ lies in The Word, not the particular embodiment or realization of it. Christians care more about Biblical literalism than just fucking practicing what they motherfucking preach. I think it's because you're all pussies afraid to assume the responsibilities demanded of you by your Lord and Savior.

Yeah, but it is fun to watch a Christian beat up his own religion. Thumbsup

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
30-04-2017, 08:10 PM
(30-04-2017 06:43 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(30-04-2017 06:30 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Why in God's name are you fucking subjecting yourself (and me) to this bullshit? The case for Christ lies in The Word, not the particular embodiment or realization of it. Christians care more about Biblical literalism than just fucking practicing what they motherfucking preach. I think it's because you're all pussies afraid to assume the responsibilities demanded of you by your Lord and Savior.

The Christians are all pussies. They are all pussies. This atheist lives more to The Word than any fucking wannabe Christian pussies. Hypocrites the lot of them.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
30-04-2017, 08:18 PM
(30-04-2017 08:10 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(30-04-2017 06:43 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Yeah, but it is fun to watch a Christian beat up his own religion. Thumbsup

The Christians are all pussies. They are all pussies. This atheist lives more to The Word than any fucking wannabe Christian pussies. Hypocrites the lot of them.

Agreed for the most part. Shai's got a good bead on it, he just worships the wrong god is all.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
30-04-2017, 09:12 PM
(30-04-2017 06:43 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  

If they cannot even agree on its basic tennents, how effective has their almighty god been in getting his message out ? Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
30-04-2017, 09:27 PM
(30-04-2017 09:12 PM)adey67 Wrote:  
(30-04-2017 06:43 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Yeah, but it is fun to watch a Christian beat up his own religion. Thumbsup
If they cannot even agree on its basic tennents, how effective has their almighty god been in getting his message out ? Big Grin

Oh the message gets out easily... It's just who's message it is that is debatable.

But let's not sully a good thread. That's not TTA style. Angel

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
01-05-2017, 02:00 AM
That's another tedious argument I hear all the time, that someone or other becomes a better person after "finding Jesus".

In other words, once they think there's something in it for them (heaven), then they'll stop behaving like a shit. Or perhaps because they "realize" they're gonna get their ass kicked forever if they don't.

So greed, or fear. Two primary motivators for religion. If someone wanted to be good for the sake of being good, they shouldn't need incentives or deterrents.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
01-05-2017, 03:46 AM
(30-04-2017 09:27 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(30-04-2017 09:12 PM)adey67 Wrote:  If they cannot even agree on its basic tennents, how effective has their almighty god been in getting his message out ? Big Grin

Oh the message gets out easily... It's just who's message it is that is debatable.

Very true and Shai is a really good egg, I like him a lot, why can't all the believers behave like him ?
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
01-05-2017, 04:49 AM
(30-04-2017 09:12 PM)adey67 Wrote:  

He's so effective that he does the most idiotic things with the most idiotic people to the point where 2/3 of the planet worship something else or nothing at all.

And I do agree, Shai is great. I always enjoy reading his stuff.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
01-05-2017, 07:51 AM
(30-04-2017 08:10 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Don't cut yourself on all that edge that's somehow coexisting with sweeping generalizations Girly. Plenty of assholes are everywhere, no matter one's religious beliefs or lackthereof. Granted, I'd take most atheists I know over Strobel any day of the week.

(30-04-2017 08:18 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(30-04-2017 08:10 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The Christians are all pussies. They are all pussies. This atheist lives more to The Word than any fucking wannabe Christian pussies. Hypocrites the lot of them.

Agreed for the most part. Shai's got a good bead on it, he just worships the wrong god is all.

Well thanks. However, now I've got to be a bit of a snarky person and go, "Wrong god? So you admit there's a god?" Tongue That said, get what you're going for and it wasn't that.

(30-04-2017 09:27 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(30-04-2017 09:12 PM)adey67 Wrote:  If they cannot even agree on its basic tennents, how effective has their almighty god been in getting his message out ? Big Grin

...this made me laugh far too hard. Thanks, needed it this morning. For entirely non-TTA reasons it's been rather crap so far.

(01-05-2017 02:00 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  That's another tedious argument I hear all the time, that someone or other becomes a better person after "finding Jesus".

In other words, once they think there's something in it for them (heaven), then they'll stop behaving like a shit. Or perhaps because they "realize" they're gonna get their ass kicked forever if they don't.

So greed, or fear. Two primary motivators for religion. If someone wanted to be good for the sake of being good, they shouldn't need incentives or deterrents.

Agreed. And it even comes off that way in the book, he lists all sorts of stuff where it's like "So if I believe this, then the following is true" and how he needs to change his life because of things like judgment. It baffles me how some Christians don't think they should be moral for morality's sake, but only because God will judge them. Pretty sure he doesn't want fear to be the primary motivator.

Ditto with good works. It shocked me (and the organizer) when doing prison Mass to hear other volunteers say they were only doing it to store up Good Works for judgment and to be rewarded for it in Heaven, when both of us held the view that it was mainly to show the inmates there were still people outside who thought of them as our brothers, and that they were still people, even if deprived of freedom and called by last name or inmate number by the correctional officers. You shouldn't be made to think you stop being human just because you're behind bars.

Do good things for goodness sake. Show compassion because it's instinctual and right, not because you've got a metaphysical gun to your head.

(01-05-2017 03:46 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(30-04-2017 09:27 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Oh the message gets out easily... It's just who's message it is that is debatable.

Very true and Shai is a really good egg, I like him a lot, why can't all the believers behave like him ?

Thanks mate. Plenty who do, they just don't get near the amount of attention. Then again, I don't tend to advertise my faith heavily offline either. You can see a Bible if you look hard in my office, but it's among other books, including the Quran, Utilitarianism, Leviathan, etc. The TTA mug is actually easier to spot. Also know that at points I'll drive like an asshole, so no Jesus fish on my car to reinforce a negative (and in my opinion entirely deserved) stereotype of people with such on their vehicle.

(01-05-2017 04:49 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  

He's so effective that he does the most idiotic things with the most idiotic people to the point where 2/3 of the planet worship something else or nothing at all.

And I do agree, Shai is great. I always enjoy reading his stuff.

Thanks Organic Chemist! We've only got the interview left, and then (other than talking it over with the friend who suggested we read this and is super behind on her readings) it's over. Smile

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Shai Hulud's post
01-05-2017, 08:25 AM
A few years ago a friend who shall remain nameless lent me a copy of Case for Christ. A few years later he asked for it back. I meantime had forgotten completely about it, and hotly denied ever accepting it from him. Then maybe 4 weeks ago I found it in a trunk of old uni books... Oops Blush

Anyway, it warms the cockles of my heart to have been such an evil heathen and denied him his bullshit-book for all this time, but I suppose I'll have to return it to him and make him into an even more smarmy apologist than he is already (he posts Ray Comfort videos on facebook Facepalm ).

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post